XJ XJ8 / XJR ( X308 ) 1997 - 2003

Joying Stereo in a '03 XJR

Old 07-06-2019, 12:01 AM
Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts
Thumbs up Joying Stereo in a '03 XJR

Hi all -

Saw a post here awhile back about installing a Joying 6.2" single din stereo in a X308. I don't like the look of any single din radios, so this seemed to be the best option to get a touch screen setup to fit without any major customization. The Joying unit uses Android Auto and even has an app available for Apple CarPlay. It's essentially just an Android tablet attached to a single din stereo. I have an iPhone and the Apple CarPlay feature works perfectly. Here's my experience with the install in case anybody else wants to do the same:
  • Installation was surprisingly easy when paired with the single din kit for X308s on ebay. It'd be especially easy with the standard audio, but I have the premium Alpine system with the amp in the trunk which complicated the wiring.
  • Since I no longer wanted/needed the CD changer and nav system in the trunk, I decided to replace the entire stack and stock amp with a 5 channel Alpine amp (the PDR-V75). This amp lets you have a channel for each set of speakers in the doors and an extra channel to run the sub on the rear parcel shelf. By dumb luck, the PDR-V75 has almost the same footprint as the existing CD/Nav stack, so mounting the amp in the trunk provided an almost stock look.
  • By removing the old amp, the new wiring was pretty straightforward. Just hooked up the necessary wires to the head unit (battery, ground, antenna, lighting, etc.). Then ran RCA cables and amp wire to the trunk. For that, I was able to run through the center console, under the tunnel carpet, under the rear seat, then up and under the parcel shelf to the trunk. Lastly, I just had to match up the old amp speaker wiring to the new amp and wire power to the amp (which was easy with the battery in the trunk).
  • The only thing I didn't connect which is possible (according to the previous Joying thread) are the steering wheel controls. With the wiring diagrams I had, I couldn't match up which wire(s) went to the steering wheel switch. It wasn't that important to me, so I skipped it.
  • The last thing I did was replace the rear sub with a "slim" 6x9 sub from CDT Audio. This was the only 6x9 sub that I could find that could fit the shallow depth of the existing sub. The sound of the new sub (and the entire system in general) is way better than before. Between the adjustments available on the stereo and the adjustments available on the amp, you can fine tune the setup to whatever works best for you.
Unfortunately, I didn't take pictures of the install itself. This post was kind of an afterthought, but I hope it's of use (I would have never heard of Joying if not for the other thread in this forum). I'd be happy to help answer any questions if someone else wants to try this setup as well.

Last edited by cvp145; 07-06-2019 at 12:04 AM. Reason: Added description
The following 2 users liked this post by cvp145:
grandell (07-06-2019), Z07Brandon (07-06-2019)
Old 07-06-2019, 12:16 AM
Received 221 Likes on 172 Posts

This is fantastic
Would love to head your feedback on the unit too

Old 07-06-2019, 02:06 PM
Veteran Member
Received 317 Likes on 190 Posts

I dig that a lot! Quality amp to! What door speakers did you go with?

Old 07-07-2019, 09:29 AM
Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts

Grandell - The unit itself works as expected. No complaints really. Since it's an Android OS, you can download any Android apps you want. It connects to my WiFi when I'm in the garage when I need to download/update anything. I mainly use the Zlink app which runs Apple CarPlay from my iphone when plugged into the USB. But you can also connect with bluetooth and play music from the phone without plugging in. I also ordered with the ELM 327 which connects OBDII to the stereo via bluetooth. With that you can run the Torque app and get live "dashboards" with diagnostic data.

Z07Brandon - Regarding the door speakers, I actually left those stock. I was going to see how they sound with the new setup before deciding to replace them. But I have no complaints with the stock midrange and tweeter performance. The amp is probably way too much for the current setup, but for the volume that I listen to it sounds great.

The following users liked this post:
grandell (07-08-2019)