XJ XJ8 / XJR ( X308 ) 1997 - 2003

Just got back from being away 50 days and brake lights stuck on

Search this Thread

Old 08-01-2017, 01:04 PM
Received 118 Likes on 100 Posts
Default Just got back from being away 50 days and brake lights stuck on

Got back from a long trip to lots of car issues (wife's xk had a dead battery, our XJR was also dead but started up with a little jump to a spare battery. Thought nothing of that siince it sat for 50 days but wife's was only 18 days and put a trickle charge on it. Now 2 days later it is still saying charging so I started it and let it run a bit. While running I noticed the brake lights are all on when the car is running. Any thoughts on what to look for. I'm hoping the switch is the same as a 97 xk as I think I have one from a parts car somewhere. Lights go out when the key is out of the ignition. Guess she didn't like playing with the other cats in the litter box without me. Hope the battery isn't toast as it is only a few months old.

Old 08-01-2017, 05:04 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,769 Likes on 1,303 Posts

Battery Tender....any Jag not being run over 10 days should be connected to one or variant thereof.
Check under the dash at the pedal for the actuator to see if the plunger is stuck.

The following users liked this post:
TreVoRTasmin (08-01-2017)
Old 08-01-2017, 07:08 PM

Originally Posted by Highhorse
Battery Tender....any Jag not being run over 10 days should be connected to one or variant thereof.
Check under the dash at the pedal for the actuator to see if the plunger is stuck.
Can't leave everything plugged in when they are outside. Of course the TVR with a 9 year old battery started right up without an issue, as did the XK8. Pulled the switch and it works fine in hand but unless I jamb it forward and hold it in place when I tighten it the light still stays on and of course I can shift out of park without my foot on the gear. It seems that the pedal is staying just a hundredth of an inch too far in. Any thoughts on that?

Old 08-02-2017, 06:32 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,769 Likes on 1,303 Posts

Actually you can leave them plugged in outside, I do it with my Corvette and on occasion the Jag. I run the cord under the car and bring the line in through the wheel well seal. On the Jag, very similar, I run the tender plug cord out the trunk with the extension cord underneath.

I'd just hold the piece in hand going down the road then....no, no, no, j/k, lol. You may have a bad micro switch and have to replace it. Its been years since I did mine, but hears a link to review... JagRepair.com - Jaguar Repair Information Resource

Old 08-02-2017, 11:26 AM

Originally Posted by Highhorse
Actually you can leave them plugged in outside, I do it with my Corvette and on occasion the Jag. I run the cord under the car and bring the line in through the wheel well seal. On the Jag, very similar, I run the tender plug cord out the trunk with the extension cord underneath.

I'd just hold the piece in hand going down the road then....no, no, no, j/k, lol. You may have a bad micro switch and have to replace it. Its been years since I did mine, but hears a link to review... JagRepair.com - Jaguar Repair Information Resource
Yeah, leaving 6 cords running around a driveway for 50 days is nothing more than a lawsuit waiting to happen but maybe we could get a mailman that delivers our mail after we fry the current one. The switch is not bad. I pulled it and it works just fine. Like I said the pedal just needs another tenth of an inch return to normal height but unlike most cars I don't see a place to adjust the pedal height.

Old 08-02-2017, 01:46 PM
Received 258 Likes on 210 Posts

Why not pull the battery out instead, and tender it at the house while gone, instead of running cords all over? Just a thought As far as the adjustment, I'm no help there.

Old 08-02-2017, 05:33 PM

Originally Posted by CharlzO
Why not pull the battery out instead, and tender it at the house while gone, instead of running cords all over? Just a thought As far as the adjustment, I'm no help there.
Well that is pretty drastic. I'd much rather buy a car that doesn't eat batteries at rest in the first place. I find it hilarious that the eco mode requires another battery so in 5 years you better save at least $100 in fuel with the mode to just break even. Gotta love the automotive world today.

Old 08-02-2017, 06:45 PM
Received 258 Likes on 210 Posts

Oh, I'm not saying it isn't, either. I mean, I've let mine go 2-3 weeks before my current SLCM issue cropped up, and started right up. But the little things that sneak into the mix sure do tend to make it a chore.