XJ XJ8 / XJR ( X308 ) 1997 - 2003

Key blank sources other than dealer?

Old 06-12-2012, 01:33 PM
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Default Key blank sources other than dealer?

Gents,

My '00 XJR only came with one key (fortunately the master) and I'd like to have a spare around, just in case. The key my car needs is part # HJD7230AA1 which is the rolling code transponder key. Our local Jag dealer wants $175 for a new blank which, I'm sorry, is completely mad. Even replacement keys for my Bentley and Rolls aren't anywhere near that much! I checked eBay and saw a few auctions that had ended for about $60, which is far more reasonable, IMHO, and certainly worth spending for just a 'backup'. Can anyone here suggest any alternative sources for keys? Note that the '97-'99 key, which looks identical, will not work due to transponder differences, so it must be the '00-'03 key. Thanks in advance!

By the way, what gives?? I type the name of Pittsburgh's NFL team in reference to the dealer and it gets blanked out????

Old 06-12-2012, 01:52 PM
Received 2,183 Likes on 1,355 Posts

Thats for programming and cutting key blank. Which youll still have to have done even if you buy a key off ebay. And we only charge about $60. Cut for free but it still has to be programmed which is the extra charge your insulted by
aint it great, you can say gd here but cant call us steelers anymore They got tired of me complaining about all my free help and then having to be insulted too free is never free is it?

Old 06-12-2012, 07:47 PM
Veteran Member
Received 2,166 Likes on 1,610 Posts

Originally Posted by bergxu
By the way, what gives?? I type the name of Pittsburgh's NFL team in reference to the dealer and it gets blanked out????
No ... you typed it with an "A" to form a perjorative form of "dealership". That sort of derogatory reference is not allowed on JF by policy.

The following users liked this post:
Brutal (06-12-2012)
Old 06-12-2012, 08:24 PM

Thanks plums, you told him how to circumvent the rules

Old 06-12-2012, 08:55 PM
Veteran Member

Umm ... if you really did mean circumvent, it wouldn't matter because when someone posts with an obvious intent while avoiding the spirit of a policy they can be sanctioned as if they had directly violated policy and the use of circumvention makes it worse because it becomes an obvious attempt at avoiding policy as opposed to an inadvertent violation.

Come home drunk, you get a talking to.

Come home drunk and lie about it, you're grounded.

Old 06-12-2012, 08:58 PM
Received 46 Likes on 36 Posts

^^^aint that the truth! I think the rule is sort of redonk though I see that reference to a dealership on most car forums. One of those fun JF quirks I guess.

Old 06-12-2012, 09:05 PM
Received 7,862 Likes on 4,752 Posts

I have worked at enough Dealerships to know that some are good and some are bad, JUST LIKE CUSTOMERS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
I now get to tell the bad customers where to GO!!!!
MY SHOP, MY RULES!!!!
I can't fire myself so I have to put up with ME!!

bob gauff

Old 06-12-2012, 09:41 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by motorcarman
MY SHOP, MY RULES!!!!
Exactly.

In the IT industry, the acronym is a "BOFH" ... a very enjoyable role actually.

Old 06-13-2012, 10:48 AM

Yes, yes I know. I also spent many years at an MB dealer. 11 to be exact, as a tech for them. What I can tell you is that OUR JLR dealer here has a bit of a reputation for gouging, hence why the Jag indies here are always swamped.

I understand that there are good dealers and not so good ones.

Granted, I know they are attempting to implement changes there, but I've shopped them against several other authorized dealers and their parts matrix system is waaaayyyyy above the others on many items, and the reason I went there for the key is that I figured that had to be a somewhat reasonable item nowadays, considering how Jaguar is dropping parts prices through their "Classic Parts" division, which now encompasses X308s.

All I need for them to do is cut the new blank. The owner of the biggest Jag indie shop here is a friend of mine, so he can program it with his IDS.

Anyhow, I still maintain, $175 for a key, ANY key, is madness. I bet they pop those out for a buck and a half each back in Blighty...

Old 06-13-2012, 10:55 AM

God forbid you move into a new xj with a new smart key.$500
ask them what a cut unprogrammed key cost. I know we quote key and programming since many do not know you have to program the key. They very well do it for $60 too without programming

Old 06-13-2012, 01:59 PM

Originally Posted by Brutal
God forbid you move into a new xj with a new smart key.$500
ask them what a cut unprogrammed key cost. I know we quote key and programming since many do not know you have to program the key. They very well do it for $60 too without programming
Brutal,

I had an X350 XJ8. Great car, but found that for what I want in a Jag, the X308 does it for me better. Low, sleek, feline proportions...all qualities of my old XKEs, and as nice as my X350 was on the highway...quiet, 27mpg, smooth and rattle free, it felt like a Lincoln.

Yes, I know the flip/remote keys are bucks. I can at least somewhat understand that, since the manufacture of the key itself is more complex, but also the cars are newer and therefore of course, costs will be higher, sometimes substantially higher. My point here is that the Tibbe keys are pretty uncomplicated and if you can show me the $175 worth of material and time put into making one, I'll pipe down my b*tching about the cost. I'm not afraid to spend when necessary, some of my cars demand it, cost be damned, and that's fine, but I still feel that what they're charging for these keys is ridiculous. Nevertheless, I shall check with them again to see what the cost of the key un-programmed is and report back, but I seem to feel that the counter guy said $175 was just the blank, then the programming was on top of that...

Old 06-13-2012, 02:04 PM

No im was reffering to the x351 smart key, not the flip keys. I have flip key remotes for $50.
Let us know im interested to see if mis(communication) or gouging

Old 06-13-2012, 03:03 PM
JWT
Received 40 Likes on 21 Posts
Default Defending the Jag Dealers

For what it's worth, I only have one master key and one valet key for my 98 xjr. I have often though I should get a another, but never bothered. I have not inquired at our local dealership on the cost of an extra, but $175.00 seems reasonable to me. (now I am going to call them)

My wife bought a Hyundai Veracruz a few years ago and we lost one of the key fobs the first week. She paid $350.00 for a "peace of mind" back up key for a Hyundai. On top of that, when I went to pick it up, the dealer told me to take it to a locksmith to get the insert key cut, where I think I paid another $30.00. I am sure Brutal's dealership would not make you do that!

It is true the Jag dealers may know how to charge what many if us think are high prices, but my dealer would not send me across town to get something to work that they sold me, even if they did need outside help!

Old 06-13-2012, 03:49 PM

Ok, per their counter guy as of two minutes ago;

With the key cut but not programmed; $151.50 cost to my mate's shop. $196.94 list. Don't even know where the original quote of $175 came from that he gave me last week...

Last edited by bergxu; 06-13-2012 at 03:51 PM.
Old 06-16-2012, 03:00 PM
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by JWT
For what it's worth, I only have one master key and one valet key for my 98 xjr. I have often though I should get a another, but never bothered. I have not inquired at our local dealership on the cost of an extra, but $175.00 seems reasonable to me. (now I am going to call them)

My wife bought a Hyundai Veracruz a few years ago and we lost one of the key fobs the first week. She paid $350.00 for a "peace of mind" back up key for a Hyundai. On top of that, when I went to pick it up, the dealer told me to take it to a locksmith to get the insert key cut, where I think I paid another $30.00. I am sure Brutal's dealership would not make you do that!

It is true the Jag dealers may know how to charge what many if us think are high prices, but my dealer would not send me across town to get something to work that they sold me, even if they did need outside help!

The closest thing to a Jaguar dealership the (Garcia Jaguar/Audi/Subaru Dealership) wanted $400 for the key and $100 to program it. They are the only one so they basically decided to charge what they want and basically can get away with it. "What? Ya going to go the Jaguar dealership down the street? LOL. There aint one! Lol. Pay up or suffer!"