XJ XJ8 / XJR ( X308 ) 1997 - 2003

leaking coolant

Search this Thread

Old 04-16-2017, 05:02 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thumbs up leaking coolant

I look around some post on the coolant leak reference but couldn't find a diagram for a 1998. Xj8l (X308). I already change the water pump, the thermostat, the housing of the thermostat, and still leaks, I notice it gets out in between the manifold intake and top of the engine, there is a hose. Which I hope that's the problem but my question is: do I have to take off the manifold to get to it? Or may I replace the hose without taking it off?
Thanks in advance for any insight.!

Old 04-16-2017, 05:11 PM
Veteran Member
Received 970 Likes on 769 Posts

There is a hose below the intake manifold that's just behind the base of the thermostat housing that can leak. Yes, you will have to remove the intake manifold to do it. Replace both coolant hoses under there along with the plastic 3 way T connector that's by the throttle body.

The following users liked this post:
Oncapprentice (04-16-2017)
Old 04-16-2017, 08:23 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,351 Likes on 926 Posts

+1 on replacing them all while you are in there.

Old 04-17-2017, 02:18 AM
Received 17 Likes on 11 Posts

Heater hoses/pipes in the valley and possibly cylinder head gaskets as well like on my 2000.

Old 04-18-2017, 11:30 AM

Sorry if it seems naive asking, but is there a diagram or video that somebody may point me to. I rather ask instead of breaking anything that can be avoid. (I'm new at fixing car and don't mind learning at all, for the repairs at the mechanic shop is expensive not to mention the dealer)Thanks for the other things that have been mention to change while at it, I agree is better to kill two birds with a single stone. Should there be anything else I must change while at it please do mention it. Thanks again!

Old 04-19-2017, 02:51 AM
Received 145 Likes on 92 Posts

Hi,
just download the x308 Workshop Manual (i.e. from here: https://www.dropbox.com/s/d1knbacxct...08Workshop.pdf) and browse to section 303-03A "Engine Cooling". The introduction will give you an idea where to find the "valley hoses" = heater feed and return hose. At pdf page 930 you can see how the hoses are routed below the intake manifold.
Just take a look around this forum and you'll find a number of threads about changing the heater hoses - there are some with pics too. Together with the instructions of the Workshop Manual, it should work out pretty well.
As I'm not familiar with the NA models, I can't point you out any shortcuts on the repair.
Cheers, Alexander

The following users liked this post:
Oncapprentice (04-19-2017)
Old 05-05-2017, 04:30 PM
Default fixed the problem a week ago, but...

Well I finally fix the problem about the coolant leak, or was the heater hoses... But on the process as I was repairing it, I (being a newbie at this) disconnected a hose that was on the way for a hard to reach screw to disengage the air intake manifold and when I disconnected it all I heard was a loud pop as it turns out it was the refrigerant hose, luckily the green stuff didn't hit my face just my hands so I wash off the freon and put back the hose on.Now I tried one of those do it yourself recharge refrigerant cans but can't get the ac to work and I don't want to overcharge the system since all I put was a couple of ounces to fill it to the right amount.Is there any suggesting way to fix this???. If is possible for me to do it, I really don't want to take to a mechanic shop beside being expensive some of them like to over charge you. Thanks for the opinions!!!

Last edited by Oncapprentice; 05-05-2017 at 04:34 PM.
Old 05-05-2017, 08:10 PM

Never mind a got it figure out. The air conditioning is working again like a champ. Thanks again