XJ XJ8 / XJR ( X308 ) 1997 - 2003

Pulling trigger on XJR?

Search this Thread

Old 03-24-2016, 09:08 AM
Veteran Member
Received 370 Likes on 254 Posts
Default Pulling trigger on XJR?

I am making the decision today on an XJR I found. It's 11 hours away, so I'm having a Jaguar mechanic in the area inspect the car today. I should get his report any time now. Based on that report I may possibly be planning a road trip this week to buy the car. I'm pretty excited about it.

I would like to hear first thoughts from my fellow forum members regarding what to look out for, what common red flags to be aware of....well you know; if YOU were buying the car what would you want to know first. Yes, I did search and yet, I'm still asking for feedback. Please forgive me. lol

The car is a 2003 XJR with about 102,000 miles. I was told the transmission fluid was recently changed and various suspension bushing have been replaced. They have the paperwork for all recent repairs but I did not see it yet. The mechanic came highly recommended by a friend of mine who lives in that area who has taken his Mercedes and Lincolns to the guy for over 15 years; so I feel pretty good about the mechanic. He will be reviewing what's been done to the car.

My friend who lives in that area is a bit of a car enthusiast, but not familiar with Jaguars. I asked him to go test drive it, which he did. He said he was quite impressed.

Anyway, please advise if you will....

Thanks,
Jeff

Old 03-24-2016, 10:50 AM
Received 258 Likes on 210 Posts

I bought the same, an '03 with about 110k on the meter, and without anywhere near the service that yours seems to have. So I've replaced those same bushings and suspension components.

Even though it should already have the 2nd gen tensioners, it's never a bad idea to upgrade to the new stuff if it hasn't been already. Mine has been going strong for 30k miles so far since I got it, with oil changes, and the above-mentioned replacements. Basically as long as it's well maintained, there's no reason to worry.

Really that's all I'd want to know. Other things are just little. Are there trim pieces missing, does it through random codes, has anyone chopped into any existing wiring for any reason (speakers/etc).

Short version, based on your description of the car and mechanic, I'd say if he comes back with a positive report, there's no reason to not go for it. I love mine, wouldn't trade it for anything (actually, I sold my BMW after getting the Jag - I just like it more)

The following users liked this post:
harvest14 (03-24-2016)
Old 03-24-2016, 12:28 PM
Veteran Member

No problems with the CATS system? My wife's 04 XJ8 has air suspension and although she likes the ride, it's been a little bit of a headache for me in cold weather. I understand the CATS system on the 03 XJR is not an air system, but is it problematic in its own right?

Old 03-24-2016, 12:45 PM

I haven't really read too many issues with it, aside from bushings wearing out. Many posts actually have said the bushings wear before the shocks, so if you can replace them instead of buying all new CATS shocks, you're still fine. I have no issues with mine at 140k, and they're stock with new lower bushings pressed in about 5k miles ago. Unless you start getting errors on the dash about it, but people have also just disabled the module and put Bilstiens in which are comparable, just not "adjustable" by the system any more. I really have no issues though, and haven't really heard too many horror stories yet.

harvest14 (03-24-2016)
Old 03-24-2016, 01:41 PM
Veteran Member

I plan to buy new tires as soon as I get it home. If the old tires appear to have worn evenly, can I confidently skip getting an alignment? Not that I am cheap, but the short term outlay of cash to travel 11 hours, buy a car and install new tires is not small.

Old 03-24-2016, 03:49 PM

I would say that if the tires aren't brand new, then it would give an indication if one is needed, based on how they've worn, and also driving it, though ideally the mechanic will have done a test drive and can tell you if it's pulling or anything out of the ordinary. When I bought mine, the dealership had put 4 brand new ones on, and new tires tend to mask little things, but it tracked true and I didn't have to replace anything until recently (thanks, stupid road...).

If it drives good, and the tires aren't excessively a) old, and b) worn weird, you should be fine to hold off for the time being.

Old 03-24-2016, 03:52 PM
Veteran Member

I just made the commitment. I'm picking up the XJR on Tuesday!

It appears the tires, at least the rear, are not fit for the 650 mile drive home. I will have to buy tires in Florida. I hate to NOT give my tire guy in town here the business, but I want my wife and I to be safe. I have decided to get the Continental Extremecontact dws 06 255/40zr18 tires. Unless of course someone has evidence against them.

The only significant issue the mechanic found was that the transmission seal is weeping a little. Not enough to leave a stain on the ground, but it's not a perfect seal. The transmission was just serviced so he thinks they just didn't do a good job of putting the seal back on. Could someone please direct me to the part number/website where I could order the dipstick for this transmission? He said it shifts and drives wonderfully, but I don't want to drive 650 miles while unsure if the transmission has enough fluid.

PS - I am searching myself for dipstick info, but time is a factor. If I'm going to have the dipstick with me in Florida, it has to arrive here by Monday morning...so I need to order it ASAP. Thanks.

Last edited by harvest14; 03-24-2016 at 03:55 PM.
Old 03-24-2016, 07:05 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,351 Likes on 926 Posts

Originally Posted by harvest14
I just made the commitment. I'm picking up the XJR on Tuesday!
Congratulations, a dream fulfilled.

If it was me, I should bring my bluetooth device, and run an OBD2 alarm on the coolent temperature all the 11 hours.
Those coolent hoses, you know .
Mine started leaking after some 6 hours after the new purchase (luckily the only issue I had in 2 1/2 years, but we all know the consequences).

rocklandjag (03-25-2016)
Old 03-24-2016, 07:20 PM
Veteran Member

Thanks Eric. The mechanic said that's one of the first things he checks on an XJR; coolant leaks. He said NOTHING leaked except for that slight weep at the transmission seal. No oil, no fuel, no coolant. But, I will definitely be plugging my Ultragauge Blue into the car as soon as I pick it up.

I am already making a list of things to work on when I get it back to NC.

1) Change differential fluid
2) learn about supercharger maintenance and perform...(fluid? Belt?)
3) Insure sunroof drains are clear
4) replace accessory belt
5) replace fuel filter

and I'm still working on the list.

The seats in my XJ8 are oatmeal and they are perfect. I was thinking of putting those in the XJR if they are better, but I don't know if that's doable.

Old 03-24-2016, 09:56 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,019 Likes on 740 Posts

Maybe checking this one out come the weekend as it's only 20 minutes away. Owner says they have every service record since day 1,tensioners,t-stat all done. The miles kind of spooked me, but if he's addressed all the "hot spots" that makes me feel better.

Really don't need another err pet lol.

Jaguar Supercharged

Old 03-24-2016, 11:29 PM
Received 48 Likes on 33 Posts

When I first test drove my '03 XJR, I notice right away that the suspension was very harsh and it felt like a Corvette, where you feel almost every bump in the road. I understand why, but come on, this is a Jag! I have since dropped my tire pressure to 24 psi and it is better but no where near the ride quality of my Ford Crown Vic cop car. So, that was my number one gripe of the XJR.

I have the following issues: traction control / abs light come on every once in awhile (due to low battery), fuel pumps going out, fuel level sensor going bad, driver seat memory going batty, tail light / security module issue, front shock mount going bad. My XJR has 147K and I bought it at 120K. The engine and tranny have no issues. Given all these problems, I am still happy with the car. I love the looks and the performance. Also the fact that there are not too many around and looks like a classy car.

The XJR has a Mercedes 722.6 tranny. Parts, filter, dipstick can easily be found on Amazon.com.

Old 03-25-2016, 05:44 AM
Received 113 Likes on 101 Posts

I have decided to get the Continental Extremecontact dws 06 255/40zr18 tires. Unless of course someone has evidence against them.
I'm very happy with them.
I run 26 lbs. front, 28 lbs. rear recommended by my owners manual for Max Comfort.
They do flat spot a little when below 30* but I typical don't drive the car then anyway. Goes away after a few miles. You wouldn't need to worry much in NC.
I'll be getting the same for the 02 when it gets on the road.

Old 03-25-2016, 07:58 PM
Veteran Member

I ordered the Continental Extremecontact dws 06 255/40zr18 tires today. They will be delivered to a shop 1.3 miles from the location from which I am buying the XJR in Florida. So, the car will be in my legal possession for a matter of minutes before it's taken in for new shoes.

Thanks for the tire review convincor.

King Charles (03-25-2016)
Old 03-25-2016, 11:18 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,019 Likes on 740 Posts

I ordered the Continental Extremecontact dws 06 255/40zr18 tires today. They will be delivered to a shop 1.3 miles from the location from which I am buying the XJR in Florida. So, the car will be in my legal possession for a matter of minutes before it's taken in for new shoes.

Thanks for the tire review convincor.
Nice I've decided against going to look @ the XJR here, despite it's enticing price. I'll just take that money & put it into my X308's paint & not have any glaring flaws to mine or anyone else's eyes.

Old 03-26-2016, 01:00 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,351 Likes on 926 Posts

Originally Posted by King Charles
... I've decided against going to look ...
Yeah, sometimes it is better to cherish what we have.
I made the same decision on my XJ8 some 2 months ago, after looking for an XJ-S for years.
Of course all decisions were easily overruled when the right one showed up .

Old 03-26-2016, 07:57 AM
Veteran Member

Yes, a car that causes sufficient excitement can make for rash decisions. I purchased my 2001 XJ8 almost exactly 1 year ago with the intention of driving it for many years. I put at least $4,000.00, probably closer to $5,000.00 into the car AFTER buying it, and now I am going to sell it! I was thinking this morning coming to work how wonderful it drives. The engine sounds great again and the transmission shifts like butter. I am going to lose a fortune selling that car, but it's a hobby, not an investment.

Old 03-26-2016, 09:38 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,057 Likes on 673 Posts

Originally Posted by XJR Pilot
When I first test drove my '03 XJR, I notice right away that the suspension was very harsh and it felt like a Corvette, where you feel almost every bump in the road. I understand why, but come on, this is a Jag! I have since dropped my tire pressure to 24 psi and it is better but no where near the ride quality of my Ford Crown Vic cop car. So, that was my number one gripe of the XJR.
I happen to have a Corvette, but I only drive it for short trips on very carefully chosen roadways. I would not want that suspension for a daily driver - not in Fort Worth where the roads are little more than a thin layer of asphalt over a cattle trail. How about just swapping in the springs from an xj8? Not sure what else is different or if the springs are critical with the CATS system. And perhaps you could downsize the wheels for more sidewall. I bought an xj8 specifically for the comfort, but despite my mangled spine, I wouldn't mind an xjr for more power so thoughts like these occur to me from time to time.

Old 03-26-2016, 08:02 PM
Veteran Member

My friend in Florida, who test drove the car for me, said he thought the ride was very smooth. His daily driver is a Lincoln Navigator and his previous car was a 560 SEL.

I am a little concerned about the ride because one of my favorite qualities in my current car (2001 XJ8) is how amazingly smooth it rides. I think the "fun factor" of an XJR is worth a little sacrifice, but I'm hoping I'll be pleasantly surprised when I get there Tuesday and actually drive the car.

I understand that most people feel its a less smooth ride than the standard XJ8, but is it still a smooth riding Jaguar luxury car? Would it seem smooth compared to most cars, just not to an XJ8?

King Charles, we should get together sometime for coffee and car talk. I don't know were you live in NC, but if its not too far maybe we could hang out sometime.

Last edited by harvest14; 03-26-2016 at 08:04 PM.
Old 03-26-2016, 08:48 PM
Veteran Member
Received 915 Likes on 560 Posts

I'll post it up, but I've done most of the stuff you should do when you get the car home.

For the sc, changing the oil and belt is easy and cheap @ $50 all in and say maybe am hour and a half time.

For the transmission, you could do a very nice drain, filter, electrical connector, pan gasket, dipstick, new lock for tube cover and new fluid for about $150 with top notch parts. It's a Mercedes 722.6, it's robust and easy to work on. It's Germanys GM RWD equivalent in terms of that.

Definitely do the tensioners as seconds been are still garbage. If you just want to do the zip tie method, do secondarys only, with vc gaskets and new spark plugs, you should be able to get out under $300 with great parts.

I'll post up links later for the part numbers, and how tos.

Old 03-27-2016, 06:15 AM
Veteran Member
Received 413 Likes on 318 Posts

Originally Posted by XJR Pilot
If your XJR is riding like a Corvette, there is something wrong with your CATS.

I have driven a Corvette, and swear blind that if you drove over a coin, you could tell if it was heads or tails up!

Johnny_B (05-14-2016)

Quick Reply: Pulling trigger on XJR?