XJ XJ8 / XJR ( X308 ) 1997 - 2003

Let's talk about the antennas!

Old 10-29-2012, 07:36 PM
Received 280 Likes on 176 Posts
Default Let's talk about the antennas!

The stock antenna on the X308 is outdated. No question about it. It looks nice and "classic" when it works (mine does BTW), but I can't help thinking about disconnecting it, and rigging up something else. Either the "invisible" one that goes on the inside of the back window, or even utilizing the leftover antenna on the ouside of the back window, that was left over from the outdated built in phone.

So I would like to hear from the people that stopped using the stock "automatic" antenna, and found a better solution. I don't want to change the appearance of the stock set up, but I really don't like the antenna going up and down every time I turn the radio on or off. It's just matter of time before it stops working, and creates a problem. Besides,....if I have the CD, tape or iPod running, why do I need the antenna out (I very seldom listen to the broadcast radio)?

Another option is to disconnect the power to it, and just listen to my music, and no radio. Sometimes though (rarely), it would be good to have the option to listen to some news or talk radio.

Anyway, ...if you found a better solution, let me hear from you.

Old 10-30-2012, 09:40 AM
Received 120 Likes on 69 Posts

You could always place an inline switch under the dash (or in center console) so you could manually lift it on those occasions.

Last edited by SuperSport; 10-30-2012 at 04:41 PM.
The following users liked this post:
danielsand (10-30-2012)
Old 10-30-2012, 04:31 PM
Received 45 Likes on 37 Posts

its only about $13.00 to replace the mast should it be broken or bent. Rarely does the motor give out, but if you're tired of it, I like the switch idea, or pull the fuse.

Old 10-30-2012, 04:57 PM

Switch is a good idea! Will look into it.

Old 10-30-2012, 05:32 PM
Received 46 Likes on 36 Posts

What gives the command to bring it down/up? Wiring the motor into a reverse ground power window switch, like most cars use would make the most sense. Otherwise relays would be needed to change the polarity that comes to the motor. Unless there are already relays in the car for that...hmmmm. Let us know what you find out about the circuit! I may want to mod mine since I practically never use the radio and the mast always seems to get broken off by some moron.

On a side note, has anyone done an antenna delete and then just ran one inside the body panels? I am doing this on my Thunderbird when it gets painted so I dont have to look at the antenna anymore/listen to the motor running.

Old 10-30-2012, 07:25 PM

From what I know about electricity,......the radio on/off supplies power to the antenna motor. If I interrupt this power with the switch, the antenna will not go up (obviously antenna has to be down, radio off, when the switch is turned off). Once the switch is on, and the power flows to the motor, the radio on/off button will resume it's function, and force the antenna up. When I turn the radio off, antenna will go down as normal, and the switch can be turned off, so the next time radio is turned on, antenna can't come up.

It's kinda round about way, but it will work. Question is,.....let's say radio is on, antenna is up,...what happens if the power is cut (by the switch) to the motor? Most likely nothing,...antenna stays up, turn the radio off, and the antenna stays up (no power to the motor).

I will experiment over the weekend. I would like the "hidden" antenna better, and just forget about the stock (no switches to fiddle with). I would hate to forget to bring the antenna down, and have some punks break it just for kicks.

I am glad that I am not the only one annoyed by the antenna going up and down. I can't believe that nobody modified the set up until now.

Old 10-30-2012, 09:36 PM

I can't believe yall don't like the antenna. It's just classy and back in the day power antennas were only on the expensive cars...when i bought my car mine was broken and i replaced it for like 9.95 plus shipping...i think it was like 15 bucks total and took 3 minutes to put in...I even had the power antenna on my 82 olds 98 replaced for 200 bucks because those units were one piece and couldnt be just replaced. Try finding a Delco original antenna for an Oldsmobile thats 30 years old lol....almost impossible. Ima keep my antenna...yall de-class your jag if ya want lol.

D. Fite (11-21-2016)
Old 10-30-2012, 10:00 PM
Received 46 Likes on 36 Posts

Yeah I remember when It was luxurious to have that. I think it's even more luxurious to not listen to the whirring motor as it winds. Not to mention the Jag antenna seems ridiculously tall. I might as well put a cb whip antenna on my bumper, lol.

Old 10-30-2012, 11:48 PM

Originally Posted by ixj8it
Yeah I remember when It was luxurious to have that. I think it's even more luxurious to not listen to the whirring motor as it winds. Not to mention the Jag antenna seems ridiculously tall. I might as well put a cb whip antenna on my bumper, lol.

Exactly my thoughts.

It's not about "declassing" the cat, antenna stays where it is, but I want to have an option to either have it up, or down. It is WAY too tall, it makes annoying sound, and CB's are out! The thing gets all kinds of bugs and road crap on it, you need to clean it, lube it......nahh, it needs to get retired. 10 years from now, I might show it to my grandkids, and they will be amazed.

Old 10-31-2012, 07:15 PM

aha i remember cb antennas but my antenna on my jag doesn't make any loud noises so how can yall hear it lol. The one on my Oldsmobile is louder than the jag. I guess its all about preferences. I still like the switch idea so if you wanted the option you could raise or lower it so if you had CD player on or Ipod you didn't have to have it up.

Old 11-21-2016, 06:42 AM
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I just installed Bluetooth in my X308. The only new thing you can see is the small mic near the mirror. It plays music from my phone also. The antenna doesn't rise when I play via this Bluetooth, which suits me.

Old 11-21-2016, 07:13 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,351 Likes on 926 Posts

Originally Posted by Maxyb
I just installed Bluetooth in my X308. The only new thing you can see is the small mic near the mirror. It plays music from my phone also. The antenna doesn't rise when I play via this Bluetooth, which suits me.
Wow, 4 year old thread revived ... never saw that one.

I don't understand why your antenna does not go up.
I will need to switch on the radio unit to listen to my phone music, and by doing so, the antenna goes up.
I don't think it goes down once I select the CD or tape.

Old 11-21-2016, 08:35 AM
Received 65 Likes on 46 Posts

OK, Just to add my 2 cents:
I like the stock antenna, BUT, I saw one that was the "Hard Rubber" one that was only about 10" tall, maybe shorter.
Anyone seen this before?
It looks like it mounts onto the existing bracket. It stays up, but since it is so small, it really does not take away from the lines of the car.

Old 11-21-2016, 03:27 PM
Received 447 Likes on 333 Posts

Keep the classic, long "alien locator beacon antenna" and just add a switch to the power loop so it stays down when you are playing CD's or using another input device.
Vector

Old 11-21-2016, 05:42 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,351 Likes on 926 Posts

Originally Posted by Vector
Keep the classic, long "alien locator beacon antenna"
+1, keep it.
I have a whole generation here who looks in awe at it moving up or down ... just like I did as a kid when it was first invented.

Old 11-21-2016, 06:09 PM
Received 36 Likes on 29 Posts

The antenna on my Jag is part of the classic style and I will keep it that way. If it breaks I'll fix it.

Old 11-21-2016, 06:58 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,768 Likes on 1,302 Posts

Some of you probably already saw this, but this is what I did to mine a few years back and it works very well...https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/x...ve-one-103359/

Old 11-21-2016, 08:56 PM
Received 100 Likes on 75 Posts

Our cars have antennas? omission was my solution, still need to work on the phone antenna though

Last edited by greverrr; 11-21-2016 at 09:03 PM.
Old 11-21-2016, 08:58 PM
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by ericjansen
Wow, 4 year old thread revived ... never saw that one.

I don't understand why your antenna does not go up.
I will need to switch on the radio unit to listen to my phone music, and by doing so, the antenna goes up.
I don't think it goes down once I select the CD or tape.
I don't even need to turn my radio on for my Bluetooth to work, that's why the antenna doesn't go up. If I turn my radio on it will go up. I didn't install it personally, I paid for that.

Old 11-22-2016, 01:43 AM
Received 49 Likes on 36 Posts

I like the original look. Not sure what's going on. Mine is really pretty quite and as for bugs I live in SoCal not back east. Just wipe it down every 4th time I wash the car. No issues and as for looks? I can't see it when I'm driving.

D. Fite (11-22-2016)

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Let's talk about the antennas!