XJ XJ8 / XJR ( X308 ) 1997 - 2003

low vs high mileage

Search this Thread

Old 12-15-2021, 09:27 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default low vs high mileage

This is the dilemma I'm seem to face when looking for a 2001 - 2003 XJR or Super V8. Is it better to look at one that has lower miles (60K) or a car that has mileage in the 6 figure range (100K - 120K)? You would think the lower mileage model would be the easy answer - but in a car that is 18-20yrs old, that usually means it was in storage, or driven very little over the years. In my mind, that also means there is a greater risk the bushings are cracked, hoses and belts are dried out, and the typical issues (timing chain tensioners, water pump, suspension issues) have not been addressed yet. This low mileage car could actually become more expense to repair and maintain, than a high mileage car. Because wouldn't you think a car that's been around to 100K and beyond, USUALLY has had at least one or two of those issues addressed? Would love to hear some opinions. As I continue to search here in Michigan for my Jag, what mileage ranges should I be concerned about, assuming basic maintenance was done on the car? Thanks!

Old 12-16-2021, 01:00 AM
Received 58 Likes on 51 Posts

When I was searching for mine I was looking for a big stack of records first and foremost. If they took care of scheduled maintenance odds are they probably didn't drive like a maniac either. While it has been a reliable daily driver you have to fix little things now and then and take care of known failure points right out of the gate. If you don't plan on doing much work yourself the bills add up quick.

With a 20 year old car you have to expect you have some worn bushings, bearings belts and hoses. I bought a car that spent most of it's life in Texas. The dry climate was good for rust prevention, bad for rubber. I went through and replaced most bushings and mounts, belts, hoses and timing chains and tensioners and water pump.

To answer your question many users have taken their XJRs well over 200K. I got mine at 66K and at 104K still feels just as strong. It's all about care and condition.

Last edited by anduha; 12-16-2021 at 01:03 AM.
Old 12-16-2021, 06:26 AM

Thanks Anduha. Yes, I guess maintenance records are key to anything. Someone who has a '01 XJR with 60,000 miles on it, and says they never had any problems or issues, or haven't had to do any repairs, could just be a timebomb for the next owner. Glad to hear these cars can go 200K+ with good maintenance. My understanding is the S/C engines have fewer issues than the N/A engines, or am I wrong on that?!

Old 12-16-2021, 06:47 AM
Banned
Received 101 Likes on 74 Posts

I wouldn't get above 100k . However it should be clean and have average maintenance or else you will have headache and spending lot of cash . I saw clean xjr on ebay while ago for good price don't know if still available

Old 12-16-2021, 09:08 AM

I'll check out Ebay. Thanks Mobile1

The following users liked this post:
RA110623 (12-16-2021)
Old 12-16-2021, 06:14 PM
Received 50 Likes on 41 Posts

Maintenance records mean little to me when talking cars that old. Especially with multiple owners. Who says it done right or even done at all?
Give me an hour. I'll print up all the maintenance records you want.
Cars that sat with very little miles can be a problem of a different sort. Problems you won't be able to see.

The following 2 users liked this post by 60Gunner:
87LC2 (12-29-2021), S/C me (12-16-2021)
Old 12-16-2021, 07:30 PM
Veteran Member
Received 2,152 Likes on 1,319 Posts

Originally Posted by S/C me
Thanks Anduha. Yes, I guess maintenance records are key to anything. Someone who has a '01 XJR with 60,000 miles on it, and says they never had any problems or issues, or haven't had to do any repairs, could just be a timebomb for the next owner. Glad to hear these cars can go 200K+ with good maintenance. My understanding is the S/C engines have fewer issues than the N/A engines, or am I wrong on that?!
Well, my XJR has just 60,000 miles (96,000 kms) on it with an excellent service history - no mechanical issues beyond the normal brakes/tires/lubrication/light bulbs, but I recently had all fluids changed, timings chains and tensioners and water pump done (and all the seals etc that come with these changes). Good for another 96,000 kms I am sure. It is all about maintenance, as has been said.

The following 2 users liked this post by sov211:
Doug (12-16-2021), S/C me (12-16-2021)
Old 12-16-2021, 10:41 PM
Veteran Member
Received 10,803 Likes on 7,120 Posts

Originally Posted by S/C me
This is the dilemma I'm seem to face when looking for a 2001 - 2003 XJR or Super V8. Is it better to look at one that has lower miles (60K) or a car that has mileage in the 6 figure range (100K - 120K)? You would think the lower mileage model would be the easy answer - but in a car that is 18-20yrs old, that usually means it was in storage, or driven very little over the years.

Years of dead storage can be a problem if/when the car is returned to service, yes.

However, IMO, a car that has seen some regular use, but still accumulating only a few miles, shouldn't present any unique problems. Think of a car being driven 100 miles every few weeks versus one that has sat in a garage, untouched and undriven, for 10-15 years. The former wouldn't be a problem but the latter certainly would.

In my mind, that also means there is a greater risk the bushings are cracked, hoses and belts are dried out, and the typical issues (timing chain tensioners, water pump, suspension issues) have not been addressed yet. This low mileage car could actually become more expense to repair and maintain, than a high mileage car. Because wouldn't you think a car that's been around to 100K and beyond, USUALLY has had at least one or two of those issues addressed? Would love to hear some opinions. As I continue to search here in Michigan for my Jag, what mileage ranges should I be concerned about, assuming basic maintenance was done on the car? Thanks!
It's all case-by-case. Rather than speculate, let the records and actual, hands-on, see-it-for-yourself condition tell the story. Some Jags are pampered while others get 'just enough' love to stay on the road.

Personally, if I buy a 20 year old car I simply plan spending a chunk of money. Get it all over and done with. Major servicing and replacing of all consumables. Hoses, belts, all fluids and filters, battery, etc. Brake system overhaul, almost certainly. And any repairs that the previous decided not to do. There are usually at least a few.

Unless, of course, there's proof of such work already being recently done.

Cheers
DD

The following users liked this post:
S/C me (12-16-2021)
Old 12-16-2021, 11:16 PM

Thanks everyone. What I'm getting from this discussion is that there is really no perfect answer. I appreciate the insight about a low mileage car that's been stored for many years vs one that might have been driven 100 miles/wk. Changes the perspective. Higher mileage cars don't bother me as much now, if there are records to show what works has, or hasn't, been done. I fully expect to put some $ into any car I end up buying, but that purchase point sure makes a difference on how much I have to set aside! LOL This discussion has opened up my prospects, though. Thanks again for the advice. I look forward to posting that first picture to you all once I find my car!!