XJ XJ8 / XJR ( X308 ) 1997 - 2003

lower wishbone stabilizer link bolt

Search this Thread

Old 03-17-2011, 12:29 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default lower wishbone stabilizer link bolt

Have a rattle in right front wheel and have found stabilizer link bolt is fault. The lower wishbone and lower shock bracket are miss aligned not allowing correct bolt size to pass through to attach to lower stabilizer link. Previous owner used smaller bolt which rattles. Lower wishbone has 2 parts with star nut holding them together. Do I have to remove the complete lower wishbone to realign shock bracket or has anyone just loosened the lower wishbone nut and knocked the shock bracket into place. Also could this misalignment make the car pull to the left or cause any vibration? Thanks for any help. I do not have a spring compressor had know that removal a shop would cost about 1000 for a 2 dollar bolt.

Old 03-17-2011, 04:20 PM
Received 70 Likes on 63 Posts

Originally Posted by dnakirk
Have a rattle in right front wheel and have found stabilizer link bolt is fault. The lower wishbone and lower shock bracket are miss aligned not allowing correct bolt size to pass through to attach to lower stabilizer link. Previous owner used smaller bolt which rattles. Lower wishbone has 2 parts with star nut holding them together. Do I have to remove the complete lower wishbone to realign shock bracket or has anyone just loosened the lower wishbone nut and knocked the shock bracket into place. Also could this misalignment make the car pull to the left or cause any vibration? Thanks for any help. I do not have a spring compressor had know that removal a shop would cost about 1000 for a 2 dollar bolt.
You should not need a compressor if it is not too badly misaligned.
This relatively thin bolt for the job it has to do tends to rust in place in my experience. The replacement bolt I bought was galvanized heavily.
A gentle tap should get it through. Take the load off the suspension with a bottle jack. If not, you do have a problem. It would be hard to get it truly misaligned but then it takes all sorts.