XJ XJ8 / XJR ( X308 ) 1997 - 2003

Making The Supercharger Whine

Search this Thread

Old 06-14-2007, 01:46 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Making The Supercharger Whine

I have a '98 XJR and I love it but I was a little dissapointed to find the Supercharger doesn't whine. I love that sound and I heard that on some cars you can remove the air silencer and it will make the whine much more audible and actually give the car a bit more pep. Does anyone have any experience with this, and if so, how easy is it to do?

Old 06-14-2007, 02:31 AM
Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Default RE: Making The Supercharger Whine

I had an 03 S-Type R, the supercharger in that whined like crazy. As soon as u push the pedal down you could hear it. Not sure if the older engines are different, but im sure they shud make somewhat of a whine. Try flooring it, and have someone stand outside, if they dont hear it, then i dunno what to tell you.

Old 12-21-2011, 03:51 PM
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

I've been researching this topic as I find my 02 XJR's supercharger is nowhere near as loud as my 97 XJR. My 97 sounded amazing as does my neighbors F-150 HD edition, but my 02 doesn't make much of a whine at all. There's no doubt it's working and maybe Jaguar made them a little more quiet on the newer models, but I'd like more....All I can hear is the engine roaring. On a side note (but possibly related) I've ordered a new air filter and will be installing that along with a throttle body, MAF, and part load breather cleaning this Saturday (My Christmas present to myself might be 1HP and +1 MPG). I'm thinking that a little more air flow might create more whine, but then again, I'm not too familiar with the mechanics of a supercharger and what, in fact, is making the whine to begin with.

Any thoughts?

Old 12-21-2011, 05:46 PM
Veteran Member
Received 256 Likes on 196 Posts

If you want your supercharger to whine send the blower to Stiegemeier Porting Services, LLC - Supercharger Rebuild and Repair
they can either port the blower & install a smaller upper pulley or do the Snakebite which will further increase the boost. When I had a ported blower & larger lower pulley on hard acceleration my car sounded like a fighter jet.

Old 12-22-2011, 09:38 AM

Just change out the pulley. It will whine plenty. If you can get a tune on it, even better.

Old 12-22-2011, 10:42 AM
Received 2,183 Likes on 1,355 Posts

Go to a cold air intake(oxymoron) and open air filter housing. Youll hear it then. On the new jags, jaguar actually has a ported tube off the air intake than runs though the firewall to under the dash to increase the "driving experiance"

Old 12-22-2011, 10:54 AM

Thanks for the advice guys. I've been looking at some Mina Gallery stuff and have been thinking about the pulley upgrade and/or maybe the Mina exhaust. I've been reading through the site today and apparently it's the lower pulley that makes the largest difference so I'm tied on whether to spend the money on both pulleys or an exhaust. The car is in the shop now having a rear shock bushing and front sway bar bushings replaced and then Saturday I'm going to do the intake cleanings that I mentioned above. Once the rattle from the back shock is gone, the "trolley" effect (I think it's called) from the front end is gone, then I can focus on what is causing me to get 10 MPG all of a sudden....after that....maybe it's time for some fun upgrades...

Do you guys agree on needing both pulleys? I see the Mina Gallery pulley for $320, but doesn't say upper or lower. I'm going to guess upper. I also want to find out the labor charges to swap it out.

Old 12-22-2011, 11:53 AM
Received 216 Likes on 155 Posts

I installed a 3 lb. upper pulley and there is huge increase in the whine in my '01 and the throttle response is immediate. At full throttle, when it kicks down into 2nd gear the supercharger just screams. Big fun.

Either a larger crank pulley or a smaller upper pulley will increase the supercharger speed and the accompanyiing whine

Old 12-22-2011, 12:23 PM

Thanks Rockland. I was just looking at Eurotoys and their pulleys are less expensive than those from Mina Gallery. $245 for the 1.5lb or 3lb, but apparently the 3lb involves a little more work. They claim 20HP for the 1.5lb and 30-35 for the 3lb. I'll have to talk to mechanic as this isn't something I'd do myself to see how much more labor is involved for the 3lb. If it's a lot, I'm sure I'd be happy with 20HP and a noticable sound.

If you don't mind me asking, where did you get yours and did you install it or have it done?

Old 12-22-2011, 01:07 PM

Bones,

Check out the For sale section. I have a barely used Borla system for your Jag. I'd do both pulleys if you can. BIG difference. Huge pain in the A@@ to get the crank pulley off though.

Old 12-22-2011, 01:17 PM

Thanks Thundercat - I actually saw your ad a few minutes ago for the Borla and after the holidays, I might be taking that off your hands. I just spoke to my mechanic and he can't find the problem with the steering and the rattle from the back shock, so I'm not going to do any upgrades until this thing is back to where it should be. If he does make some progress without it costing a fortune, I'll take that exhaust of your hands. Is it the one from the black XJR in the youtube videos?

Old 12-22-2011, 01:43 PM
Received 216 Likes on 155 Posts

I bought my pulley from Powerhouse Automotve in the UK. Larson was great to deal with and answered all my questions - (Lawson@powerhouseautomotive.co.uk] The pulley is stainless steel and less expensive then the ohters listed in this thread. I installed the pulley myself and it is both difficult and time consuming. This pulley, and the smaller size ones that Mina and Eurotek require that you reduce the diameter of the supercharger snout by gringing down the casing. And, as Thundercat mentioned, removing the old pulley is also very difficult.

The smaller pulley allows the supercharger to make more boost but that produces higher air intake temperatures. I installed a reservior in the intercooler circuit that holds 6.5 quarts of additioanal capacity to offset the hear soak effects of the higher boost

Old 03-08-2020, 10:53 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi, do you have any information where I could get the same as yours?

QUOTE=rocklandjag;444159]I installed a 3 lb. upper pulley and there is huge increase in the whine in my '01 and the throttle response is immediate. At full throttle, when it kicks down into 2nd gear the supercharger just screams. Big fun.

Either a larger crank pulley or a smaller upper pulley will increase the supercharger speed and the accompanyiing whine[/QUOTE]