XJ XJ8 / XJR ( X308 ) 1997 - 2003

manual transmission bellhousing for 4.0 V8

Search this Thread

Old 09-07-2016, 05:37 PM
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Default manual transmission bellhousing for 4.0 V8

Hi all,

does anyone know if Jag / Land Rover made a manual bell housing and flywheel that will bolt up to the 4.0 V8 engine?

Thanks

Old 09-09-2016, 09:39 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,769 Likes on 1,303 Posts

I'd ask Coventry West, they recycle/scrap Jag and Land Rover vehicles. I'd email them, they answer fairly quickly.

Old 09-10-2016, 11:08 AM
Veteran Member
Received 2,180 Likes on 1,583 Posts

AFAIK no. BUT there have been manual conversions with some other trannys. I think someone used a ZF bell housing to make an adapter.

Problem is though to uncouple the engine ECU from the tranny ECU... Both communicate... Just as a little side note...

Old 09-10-2016, 05:29 PM

Thanks for the replies. I figured that I would need to make a pattern and cast the bellhousing. I figured that I should check just in case I could save myself a little work. I figured that I would need a gadget to fool the computer. I am trying to make the XK8 as reliable as a toyota. Which leaves the transmission computer on the cut list. I really don't want the car to quit and have a service guy tell me that it will be 6k for a new engine computer and another 6k for a trans as some others have experienced. There is a guy in London who has made a gadget to fool the computer. I will try to track him down or use a MS3-PRO
computer and get rid of a bunch of problems all at once...Immobilizer, trans computer and lack of tuning ability. That would also let me put an XJR engine in the xk8 without a bunch of hassle

The following users liked this post:
someguywithajag (09-28-2018)
Old 09-10-2016, 06:14 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,769 Likes on 1,303 Posts

Couldn't you make an adapter plate for the housing (http://www.vintagejag.com/Parts/Tran...ersions.html)? Its like using wheel hub adapters. It should come down to how far off each pattern is to allow you to do that. Should be a ton cheaper also.

Last edited by Highhorse; 09-10-2016 at 06:16 PM.
Old 09-11-2016, 12:50 AM
Received 4,436 Likes on 2,421 Posts

The six speed manual ZF S6-53 used in the S-Type 2.7L diesel bolts straight up to the AJ-V8, you won't find one in the US though, only in UK & Europe.

There was a thread somewhere here on the forum where Paragon Design made a test fit.

You would still need a custom flywheel and clutch for it.

Old 09-11-2016, 04:41 AM
Veteran Member
Received 2,180 Likes on 1,583 Posts

Originally Posted by fredgarvinmp
Thanks for the replies. I figured that I would need to make a pattern and cast the bellhousing. I figured that I should check just in case I could save myself a little work. I figured that I would need a gadget to fool the computer. I am trying to make the XK8 as reliable as a toyota. Which leaves the transmission computer on the cut list. I really don't want the car to quit and have a service guy tell me that it will be 6k for a new engine computer and another 6k for a trans as some others have experienced. There is a guy in London who has made a gadget to fool the computer. I will try to track him down or use a MS3-PRO
computer and get rid of a bunch of problems all at once...Immobilizer, trans computer and lack of tuning ability. That would also let me put an XJR engine in the xk8 without a bunch of hassle
Well, considering that the engine amd tranny together are the main reasons for unreliability, I would ditch both and chuck in an LS1 or LS2 or LS3 or... Readily available with manual transmission. You lose all unreliable parts at once.

But I must sax at the same time: my XJ8 is really reliable. It always starts and runs. The tranny works right after a fresh batch of cheap ATF was used. I had several fault codes on the tranny when driving. New fluid and all is fine...

Old 09-11-2016, 09:15 PM

I will check out the ZF manual bellhousing.

I checked into the Jag Specialties LS conversion kit. I do like the LS engine (I have one in my suburban) I am not sure I want one in a Jag. I feel that the 4.0 V8 is relatively robust and lightweight. I have an XK8 which I would like to install a 6 speed and a supercharger. I have 2 XJR's one a driver and one for parts. So I have a complete setup with harness ...etc

The big drawback to an LS engine is the cost. A low mile unit will be 3 - 4K or more. A high mile engine will need a 2500 dollar rebuild new cam lifters overhaul etc....then there is the JS kit at 2k , a 6 speed at 3800.00 at some point it is getting out of control. There are a couple of guys who have done the LS conversion on the site and the consensus is that it will be 10 grand and a bunch of work.

I like to do the most I can with factory parts ...although I can make a really good argument for changing the mercedes auto trans for a GM 4l60e. The XJR has a 3.06:1 rear gear, there are 2500 stall converters available for the 4l60e. The XJR's biggest performance issue is getting it rolling from a dead stop. I haven't seen any jag videos of a car actually launching. Once you hit 10 mph they start to get with the program. The Jag ECU's seem to work really well and adapt to about anything you do to the engine. I think an XJR with a lot of rear gear, LSD , 4 speed auto with 2500 stall and upgraded supercharger could run low 11's which would be nice. Add a 2 speed diff and it could still get 20 mpg.

Or perhaps twin turbo with a 100 shot of nitrous to get it moving

I just need to get after the ECU to figure out how to get it to run the engine without the immobilizer and the transmission. I ordered a canbus shield to log data packets and hopefully figure out what it wants to hear and be able to program a chip to send the required data.

or just use a mega squirt computer for 1200.00

The MegaSquirt is appealing as it will control an automatic trans , nitrous, turbo waste gates , water methanol injection and variable valve timing. as well as being able to send canbus messages. It might be interesting to use the XK8's variable valve timing and probably higher lift cams with the low compression block. The engine could have a really nice powerband. I would love to have a twin screw supercharger but the GT500 supercharger seems like a nice upgrade for low money.

Old 09-11-2016, 09:29 PM

I will need to make a custom clutch / flywheel. 30 years ago I worked for Bill Hays of Hays
clutches / Centerforce clutches notoriety. I think a mid weight twin disc unit with a 9" pressure plate would have a light pedal, be responsive on a twisty road and hold the power without problem.

Old 09-13-2016, 10:44 AM
Veteran Member
Received 540 Likes on 421 Posts

This is gonna be fun....subscribing.

The following users liked this post:
bdboyle (09-13-2016)
Old 11-19-2017, 11:09 AM
Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

The ZF S6-53 is an automatic box. The only manual reference I could find is the Getrag 221 and, if they're as lousy as the transmissions they make for BMW motorcycles, I'm going to try and fit a Tremec.
Zaphod

Old 11-27-2020, 10:50 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 4.0 manual conversion

Hi all,

does anyone know if Jag / Land Rover made a manual bell housing and flywheel that will bolt up to the 4.0 V8 engine?

Thanks
Would the Mustang bell housing, clutch and trans interchange considering they are Ford?

Old 11-27-2020, 10:52 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 4.0 manual conversion

Will the Mustang manual parts interchange off the 4.7 and 5.0?

Old 11-27-2020, 12:06 PM
Received 2,579 Likes on 1,784 Posts

The AJ-V8 is not a Ford engine.

Old 11-27-2020, 12:37 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,036 Likes on 833 Posts

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/LAND-ROVE...-/382824575284

6 speed for the 2.7TD Lion isn’t hard to find, just gonna be tough to get it shipped

Old 11-29-2020, 09:37 AM
Received 127 Likes on 85 Posts

The only problem that I've had with getting my XJR "rolling from a dead stop" is if I forget to turn off the traction control. With the trac control off, I'm leaving rubber on the road through the first three gears. And that was with stock shift solenoids. I have the AMG blue tops in now, but haven't had the opportunity to see what it does, other than the more positive shifting.