XJ XJ8 / XJR ( X308 ) 1997 - 2003

Name that part

Search this Thread

Old 07-27-2018, 10:14 AM
Received 49 Likes on 28 Posts
Default Name that part

I have posted about my on and off problems with the fuel tank not filling completely. So last night I decided to have a quick look and at least do the first tests as described in the technical bulletin, the resistance on the fuel sender when full / empty

Big mistake as there are no quick jobs on these cars. I took away the lining in the boot. That was the easy part and I can get at the fuel tank easily enough. However, there is a bunch of insulation material stuffed on top of the tank, the wiring and everything. I could only see one big connector with 6 wires and according to the electric diagram there should be only two wires for the fuel sender. So I assume that sits further forward and I need to get all this insulation crap out without damaging all the wires. I will do so later. There is a heat wave in the Netherlands and in all honesty it is just to hot to do much other than lounge in the shade and drink beer.

One question though. When I took the rear lining away to expose the fuel tank I came across this part. It sit right in the centreline of the car, right behind the fuel tank with three thin wires trailing down over the back of the fuel tank.

I have been looking at the various manuals, but I have failed to identify it. I assume it is some sort of sensor. But what does it sense? Movement, deceleration?

Anybody knows what this is?

Jeroen

Last edited by Jeroen; 07-27-2018 at 10:16 AM.
Old 07-27-2018, 03:40 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,769 Likes on 1,303 Posts

Oh c'mon now, everyone knows what that is....its that thing that's in the trunk by the gas tank that does stuff. I think its a thing-a-ma-bob, I haven't found the part number for it yet though....

I think that may be the accelorometer ?

What year is yours Jeroen? Did you get this TSB to review... http://www.jagrepair.com/images/TSB/XJ/310-10.pdf
I believe its '99 and before the fuel gauge comes in on the center side and '00 and above its an all in one from the top. I am still of the belief this is a purge issue amigo...unless you have something floating around inside you shouldn't?

Old 07-28-2018, 07:15 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,769 Likes on 1,303 Posts

Just in case you didn't believe me on the accelerometer after the initial pun.... https://www.jaguarclassicparts.com/uk/part/LJA1975AB

The following users liked this post:
Jhartz (07-28-2018)
Old 07-28-2018, 05:34 PM
Received 49 Likes on 28 Posts

Great, accelerometer it is! thought so.
My car is a 2002 and I do have the TSB. Thought I would just work my way down and checking the resistance of the fuel sender is the first step.
although truth be told, I have started to doubt it. So when I would measure to low a resistance I’m still not sure what that means, because if the tank is not full that could be the correct value!! The problem after all, is that I don’t think the tank is filling completely. Anyway, in two weeks time I am off to see the Classic Grand Prix at the Nurnburg Ring. I will be there for three days. I am taking the Jaguar, so this fuel filling problem will have to wait till I get back.

But i have a bad suspicion it is a purge issue. We will see. I will keep you posted.

Thanks for naming that part!!!

Jeroen