XJ XJ8 / XJR ( X308 ) 1997 - 2003

Navigation DVD Drive a Mystery

Search this Thread

Old 05-25-2013, 10:23 AM
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Navigation DVD Drive a Mystery

Here we go,

I purchased a 2002 xj8 vdp that has the built in gps system. Unfortunatelythe dvd disc was missing from the car. I was one of the first people todownload the disc in another post of this forum. When I put the disc in thedrive an update started. The update got part way through then said failed. Inoticed on the forum that the first disc uploaded was accidentally uploaded inan incorrect format. Now my dvd drive is not recognized by the head unit. Ipress "nav" on the head unit and nothing happens. Before it would saydvd missing or insert dvd, i don't remember which. Anyway, I ended uppurchasing a new/used dvd drive online to see if the firmware in the originaldrive got corrupt via the bad update. No luck, same thing is happening; headunit doesn't recognize the drive is there. I got lucky with my online purchaseand the original Jaguar dvd was in the drive of the unit I purchased. Jagnumber 4W83-10E898-GA Alpine number BM9JG91F. Is this a compatible dvd for mysystem? Wondering this because the new drive is not recognized. Maybe theoriginal owner did the same thing I did and had a bad update thus creating anunrecognized drive. Would seem unlikely but you never know. My second questionis: What exactly is being updated via the dvd? The drive, the head unit, thegps module? Wondering if I need to get a different head unit instead of anotherdvd drive to make the system work? Possibly the head unit is what got corruptvia the failed update? Everything else works on the head unit. I also openedthe dvd drive, plugged it in and put the dvd in to make sure the drive wasspinning discs. Both the original and purchased dvd units spin the discs thesame way. Looks like they try to read the disc many times for about 5 minutesand then the drive stops spinning. Considering the original drive worked untilthe failed update I am leaning towards the drive might not be the problem. Avery nice member of this forum sent me a system wake up disc a while back as hewas hoping that the disc would help me fix my problem. Its jag number JTP824 Alpinenumber WD112. I am not sure how this disc works. It seems to be an audio trackon the disc. I tried putting the disc into the dvd drive, nothing happens,spins for a while then stops. Also put the disc in the cd changer. It plays for3-5 minutes with no audio then changes to the next cd in the changer. Anyoneknow how to use the system wake up disc? Maybe I am missing something? Anythoughts on how to get the gps system up and running? I looked up the gpsinstall instructions online and there isn't much to the system. Dvd drive, wireharness, gps module, antenna, connection to head unit. I have access to a headunit from the same model year and make. This xj8 doesn't have the gps systemoriginally installed. Waiting for some input before take out the unit and tryit in my xj8. Any help is much appreciated! I know the system is way outdated but would like to get it working because its factory oem.

Old 11-03-2015, 08:23 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Mortimer,

I am looking for the link to the JTP824. Do you still have it or know where I can get it? Local Jag dealer seems clueless about this issue.

Old 11-03-2015, 10:09 AM
luc
Received 195 Likes on 136 Posts

[QUOTE=captjsh;1340894]Mortimer,

I am looking for the link to the JTP824. Do you still have it or know where I can get it? Local Jag dealer seems clueless about this issue.[/QUOTE
Google Jaguar TSB 419-11
Print a copy of it and bring it to any jaguar dealer.

Old 11-04-2015, 07:14 AM
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by captjsh
Mortimer,

I am looking for the link to the JTP824. Do you still have it or know where I can get it? Local Jag dealer seems clueless about this issue.

Shoot me a PM with your email address and I will send you a link to my cloud storage that has the disc you are looking for.

The following users liked this post:
captjsh (11-24-2015)
Old 11-24-2015, 10:33 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Just used mortimerjd link to create a disk that reset my nav system to default. My nav now talks to me. Anyone needing the files feel free to PM me.

Old 12-01-2015, 09:05 PM
Received 447 Likes on 333 Posts

Some paragraphs would be nice, most people, me included, will not read a solid block of text like your first post.

You are new here so just some friendly advice if you want your posts to be read and responded to by more members.
Vector