XJ XJ8 / XJR ( X308 ) 1997 - 2003

Need some guidance - How to instructions?

Search this Thread

Old 06-05-2015, 06:15 PM
Received 15 Likes on 12 Posts
Default Need some guidance - How to instructions?

Hi Gents,

Running into an ongoing issue with my 00 XJR. I am specifically looking for the how to guidance from tenured members.

Issue at hand:

The vehicle stalled today whilst I was our running errands at a busy street. It fired back up and codes being thrown were P0174 ’system too lean bank 1’ and P1000. I reset both codes, but it hesitates if I try to accelerate from a stop start. Just cleaned the MAF, it is about 6 months old, but the issue persists.If I step of the gas pedal hard with the gearbox in park I can feel one side of the exhaust not firing clean or hesitating.

Fix

A) Could a leak in the exhaust cause this? If yes, I will have it diagnosed tomorrow by a local exhaust shop.
B) Can someone please pass along some pictures/how to guidance on investigating:
1) Clogged injector or with a bad connection
2) Leak in the intake manifold

The only other recent service was replacement of the throttle body so perhaps something is just a little loose, but not sure where to start as visually all looks to be in good order. I would appreciate some help to get this issue sorted.

Old 06-05-2015, 07:53 PM
Received 163 Likes on 112 Posts

Originally Posted by Britrover
Hi Gents,

Running into an ongoing issue with my 00 XJR. I am specifically looking for the how to guidance from tenured members.

Issue at hand:

The vehicle stalled today whilst I was our running errands at a busy street. It fired back up and codes being thrown were P0174 ’system too lean bank 1’ and P1000. I reset both codes, but it hesitates if I try to accelerate from a stop start. Just cleaned the MAF, it is about 6 months old, but the issue persists.If I step of the gas pedal hard with the gearbox in park I can feel one side of the exhaust not firing clean or hesitating.

Fix

A) Could a leak in the exhaust cause this? If yes, I will have it diagnosed tomorrow by a local exhaust shop.
B) Can someone please pass along some pictures/how to guidance on investigating:
1) Clogged injector or with a bad connection
2) Leak in the intake manifold

The only other recent service was replacement of the throttle body so perhaps something is just a little loose, but not sure where to start as visually all looks to be in good order. I would appreciate some help to get this issue sorted.
P1000 means that the ECU hasn't completed the check cycle yet, when it does, you will have a P1111 in the ECU.

Sounds like you have wither clogged injectors on the right bank, or there is an air leak somewhere along the way (manifold gaskets?). Or, as you say, an exhaust leak upstream of the sensor?

Old 06-05-2015, 08:54 PM

Many thanks for your response. Is using Bg 44k the recommended way to get the clogged injector issue sorted? If yes, I will be looking to pick this up tomorrow locally.

Old 06-06-2015, 02:20 AM
Received 48 Likes on 33 Posts

https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/x...-issues-99862/

Post 4 by Gus has the jag DTC troubleshooter PDF

Things like an intake manifold leak would affect both banks so look for stuff that would only affect bank 2.

From the DTC troubbleshooter in gus's link:
P0174 causes

Engine misfire
Air intake leak between MAFS and throttle
Fuel filter, system blockage
Fuel injector blockage
Fuel pressure regulator failure (low fuel pressure)
Low fuel pump output
HO2S harness wiring condition fault
Exhaust leak (before catalyst)
ECM receiving incorrect signal from one or more of the following components: ECTS, MAFS, IATS, TPS

Old 06-08-2015, 04:31 PM

Many thanks Gents. Fixed the issue of P0174 ’system too lean bank 1’ by investigating the leak. The connection between the MAF and the bigger intake pipe towards the throttle body was loose. Quick disconnect and cods reset and have been driving all day without the code popping up again.

The following users liked this post:
RJ237 (06-08-2015)
Old 06-09-2015, 10:13 AM
Veteran Member
Received 857 Likes on 705 Posts

Maybe one of the administrators can merge your two threads. There is some info in this thread and some in your thread on the P0300 follow-on issue. I am not sure what Bryan saw that points to the right bank being the fault, but check the plugs and coils that side.

Bg44K wouldn't hurt (if you can find it, which is why I suggested SeaFoam or Gamout's lookalike).

Last edited by Jhartz; 06-09-2015 at 10:15 AM. Reason: fat fingers