XJ XJ8 / XJR ( X308 ) 1997 - 2003

New to Jag!! 2001 xj8 vp HELP PLEEZ!

Search this Thread

Old 05-14-2007, 10:17 AM
Veteran Member
Received 44 Likes on 14 Posts
Default RE: New to Jag!! 2001 xj8 vp HELP PLEEZ!

The button next to the S might be the Traction Control button!

Old 05-14-2007, 11:14 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Traction control switch is on theswitch panelabove the a/c panel. It says "Trac Off". You push it to disengage the traction control for more "spirited" driving when you dont care (or dont want) anti-slip function. Small knob on left side of steering wheel is rheostat for instrument cluster backlighting. To move steering, move larger knob up, down, in, out. Like was said before, "auto" mode will swing the wheel upwards upon removal of the ignition key.

Old 05-14-2007, 11:20 AM

ORIGINAL: linferno

Thanks to both of you!! I'm going to attempt setting the seats and steering column...
The steering column did not move yesterday when I moved the toggle... I guess you must do it when the car is running??
thanks again...
Michelle
Be sure you set the key fob when you set the seat preset. Otherwise, every time you open the car with the remote it will reset the seat to the setting stored in the key fob. To set, put the key in the ignition (dont need to start the car). Move seat and mirrors to position, then press "memory" on preset panel. Within 5 seconds, press a preset number (1,2 or 3), then within another5 seconds press any function button on the key fob dangling from the key in the ignition switch. You will hear a tone to indicate success.

Old 05-14-2007, 11:27 AM

One more thing, and this is kinda handy (I think). The passenger side rearview mirror can be made to tilt down when in reverse to assist finding the curb in your sights (before grinding your wheels against it [:@]). When you have selected "reverse", just tap the mirror adjustment switch as if you wanted to tilt the mirror down (no need to hold it). The passenger mirror will automatically tilt fully down so you can see the lower part of the car and its proximity to the curb, parking bumper, stripe, or whatever you are trying to line up with. When you shift out of reverse, the mirror will automatically tilt to its preset position. Pretty, cool !

Old 05-14-2007, 11:55 AM

ORIGINAL: linferno

Okay I attempted to adjust the steering wheel and when I move the toggle I get a click noise from somewhere but the wheel does not adjust... is there a fuse or a wire that could be disconnected. I noticed in the trunck where the battery is I have a loose wire in there but dont know where it goes to... thanks again!!
The click noise is normal. The wheel will not move if you have the door closed and the ignition is not on. Open the door and you can move the wheel with the ignition off. Also, you will hear the "click" when you have maxed out a position (say, all the way extended, or all the way up)

-kent

Old 05-14-2007, 12:37 PM

Congratulations onyour purchase of a broken car [sm=yeahsmile.gif]!!

Seriously, we must be missing something here.... Okay, try this:rotate the switch away from the "auto" position, turn the key on and try adjusting the wheel again by pusing the knob - up, down, in, out.

Old 05-14-2007, 01:03 PM

The click is supposed to be on the passenger side (around the glove compartment). Sounds like there's juice to theswitch by the sound of the "click" but the motor that operates the steering wheel adjustment may be faulty.Perhapsthe terminals just need cleaning. Seat switches and window switches often foul from non-use, especially in humid areas. (What stateare you in, BTW?)

The battery is in the trunk for safety (away from engine components and fuel that could ignite from battery sparks in a collision). Rolls Royce, Bentley, Jaguar have done that for eeons. The batteries in all my VW bugs are under the rear seat (but that's 'cuz there's not a lot of room elsewhere!) As for the loose wire with a cap on it, dont worry about it for now. It may be to a component that your car doesnt have, or something the PO removed (XM radio, or whatever).

Old 05-14-2007, 01:36 PM

Cleaning the terminals is not something you will find in the owner's manual. That's something for a mechanic (oops, I mean technician). Unless, of course, you are handy at taking things apart. You need to get into the switch and it may require removing the covering around the steering column. If the motor is bad, you need to get into the steering column area anyway to replace it. Techs would have testers to see which components are faulty. Goingfrom Honda and Nissan to Jaguar is going to be a new experience.Jaguars, just like many other hi-end cars, require maintenance that you would never think about in other cars. Pay special attention to any changes in noises, performance, leaks,"feels", etc. no matter how subtle. The trick is to nip a problem in its infancy before it cangrow into an even more expensive issue. Good luck with your car. I had a Vandy and I LOVED it. I now have an XJR. Despite the little quirks you have to deal with from time to time,theygo with the territory; and I love this territory

Old 05-14-2007, 06:06 PM
Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Call the local dealer and they will give you the radio code. Have your VIN number handy.