XJ XJ8 / XJR ( X308 ) 1997 - 2003

New noise

Search this Thread

Old 10-17-2018, 02:42 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,019 Likes on 740 Posts

Update :

Shop did both rear bearings it's quiet & the handling is far better. The 1st shop forgot to use spacers/shims ?! All's well that ends well.

The following users liked this post:
Don B (10-17-2018)
Old 10-17-2018, 07:05 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,768 Likes on 1,302 Posts

Are you going after your money with the 1st shop?

Old 10-17-2018, 12:41 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by Highhorse
Are you going after your money with the 1st shop?
Being I have history w/ the guy(he used to service my Asian toys, twin turbo modded Mitsubishi etc. years ago) I've already expressed my dissatisfaction. He lost everything home-wise in Hurricane Florence so I kind of feel merciful lol. I haven't decided if I'm going to pursue a refund yet. But adding the multiple diagnoses @ 3 different shops & the doubled up repair, I ended up paying close to 2K for this venture. I paid cash so it's not like I can just dispute via my card company. We shall see.

Old 10-18-2018, 04:51 PM
Veteran Member

Update :
Short lived victory lol. The noise is back on turns if I accelerate, every shop has diagnosed the rear wheel bearings & they've been done twice as the 1st job forgot the shims/adjusters. Not sure what else I can do, but this is likely the proverbial straw that broke the camel's back. Almost $2K in bearing jobs & I'm still with the same problem.

Old 10-19-2018, 12:37 PM
Veteran Member
Received 857 Likes on 705 Posts

Since we are back to square one: did you ever get those zerk fittings greased? I am sort of into KISS principles this week.

Old 10-19-2018, 01:31 PM
Received 293 Likes on 163 Posts

Originally Posted by King Charles
Update :
Short lived victory lol. The noise is back on turns if I accelerate, every shop has diagnosed the rear wheel bearings & they've been done twice as the 1st job forgot the shims/adjusters. Not sure what else I can do, but this is likely the proverbial straw that broke the camel's back. Almost $2K in bearing jobs & I'm still with the same problem.
This is very worrying. After the issues that a well known and reputable place had when they rebuilt my diff (They forgot to put any shims in it to get the clearance correct) I ended up having to do it myself.

I was going to get someone to do my wheel bearings, but perhaps I'll end up doing it myself as Im the only one who seems accountable. Its a time and money thing and I really don't have the time these days...

Old 10-19-2018, 02:21 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by Jhartz
Since we are back to square one: did you ever get those zerk fittings greased? I am sort of into KISS principles this week.
Not as of yet the place I asked about it couldn't even find the zerks, go figure lol.

Originally Posted by Count Iblis
This is very worrying. After the issues that a well known and reputable place had when they rebuilt my diff (They forgot to put any shims in it to get the clearance correct) I ended up having to do it myself.

I was going to get someone to do my wheel bearings, but perhaps I'll end up doing it myself as Im the only one who seems accountable. Its a time and money thing and I really don't have the time these days...
Indeed as much as I enjoy this car it's getting very burdensome not so much the $ but needing the constant attention & the inability to find someone who can work on them without doubt & second guessing.

Old 10-20-2018, 11:30 AM
Veteran Member
Received 857 Likes on 705 Posts

Sure sounds like you have idiots for mechanics: the zerk (grease fittings) are on the output shafts (right and left) as the shafts come out of the differential. They grease some key bearings. They need to clean off the the dirt, see the fittings and grease them with a standard grease gun.

Any gas station, dealer, independent, or tire shop with a lift can do this in about five minutes..

Last edited by Jhartz; 10-20-2018 at 11:32 AM.
Old 11-02-2018, 05:19 PM
Veteran Member

Update :

Car's back, they drained the Redline 75w90 & went with Redline 75w140,lubed up everything back there(springs,U-joints) & drove it extensively w/ no noise surfacing. He did say the oil they removed did appear to be compromised & not the right consistency or smell, so there's that.

I'm 200 miles in w/ some spirited winding road sessions included & we are quiet thus far !

Let's hope this chapter is indeed closed lol.

The following 2 users liked this post by King Charles:
Don B (11-02-2018), Highhorse (11-02-2018)
Old 11-02-2018, 05:25 PM
Veteran Member

Here, here...lets hope this settles it.

Old 11-02-2018, 05:39 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by Highhorse
Here, here...lets hope this settles it.
I think I've found my shop going forward, this guy actually took it out brought the oil to temp to check for the noise etc. they specialize in Euro makes & stay on a waiting list. Their reviews are stellar & they've been around for over 30 years.

That being said I'm not counting my chickens just yet I want to let the eggs go for about a 1,000 miles lol. I have some refinished Pentas laying in wait, also looking @ new springs for the next project.

Old 11-02-2018, 09:03 PM
Veteran Member
Received 842 Likes on 592 Posts

Molyslip 2001G eliminated the noise of a couple of differentials on my cars and, recently, on my friend's S-Type.

Don B (11-06-2018)
Old 11-02-2018, 09:18 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,351 Likes on 926 Posts

That being said I'm not counting my chickens just yet I want to let the eggs go for about a 1,000 miles lol. I have some refinished Pentas laying in wait, also looking @ new springs for the next project.
Maybe your car heard the thread of ditching her altogether .... but good for you, don't want to see you leaving this forum!

King Charles (11-02-2018)
Old 11-02-2018, 09:22 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by M. Stojanovic
Molyslip 2001G eliminated the noise of a couple of differentials on my cars and, recently, on my friend's S-Type.
Yea being I had an associate due the rear fluid in January in an outdoor non-heated garage w/ sub-zero temp's I can't be 100% sure he did it correctly, & they went w/ a different weight. But either way the bearing jobs' were not for nothing as it did eliminate a good portion of the noise I was experiencing & were due.

Last edited by King Charles; 11-02-2018 at 09:26 PM.
Old 11-05-2018, 07:16 PM
Veteran Member

Update :

I'm halfway to my goal of 1,000 miles w/ no noise, now w/ the vacuum of silence, I hear my rear springs creak on bounces. The tech that serviced the rear said he dressed it in lube & anti-seize corrosion formula. But 18 years on a car that's seen the borderline tropical meets temperate climate of the south here, it's fair to say the springs did their duty. Hindsight is 20/20 & I should have replaced them when I had all the shocks & rubbers done. I haven't been able to find any new OEM or aftermarket springs, except those which lower. If I go the used spring route I run the risk of encountering more creaks, so I may bite the bullet & lower it.

Last edited by King Charles; 11-05-2018 at 09:47 PM.
Old 11-06-2018, 10:21 AM
Received 12,725 Likes on 6,373 Posts

Update :

I'm halfway to my goal of 1,000 miles w/ no noise, now w/ the vacuum of silence, I hear my rear springs creak on bounces. The tech that serviced the rear said he dressed it in lube & anti-seize corrosion formula. But 18 years on a car that's seen the borderline tropical meets temperate climate of the south here, it's fair to say the springs did their duty. Hindsight is 20/20 & I should have replaced them when I had all the shocks & rubbers done. I haven't been able to find any new OEM or aftermarket springs, except those which lower. If I go the used spring route I run the risk of encountering more creaks, so I may bite the bullet & lower it.
Hi KC,

I wouldn't condemn the springs just because they are old. They may no longer retain their original ride height, but I'm not sure they can produce creaks or other noises that can be transmitted into the passenger compartment unless they are rubbing against metal or plastic parts that may not have been greased enough, such as the lower pigtail spring seat or the upper spring packer (spacer) or spring pan. In my experience, it takes a LOT of grease to ensure that you will have no creaks or squeaks from the rear shock/spring assemblies. If your tech used anti-seize compound instead of a heavier plastic-safe grease (e.g. Lithium), it may be that the lubricant has worked its way out and all that is left are the copper or aluminum particles, which may not provide enough slippage to prevent creaks and squeaks. You might mention the noises to your tech and see if he can clarify his approach to lubing those parts.

Cheers,

Don

Old 11-06-2018, 05:20 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,351 Likes on 926 Posts

Originally Posted by Don B
I wouldn't condemn the springs just because they are old. They may no longer retain their original ride height, but I'm not sure they can produce creaks or other noises ....
Exactly my first thoughts, but I forgot to reply on this one.
I think Don is spot on, and worth investigating before spending money on new springs!

Don B (11-07-2018)
Old 11-06-2018, 05:48 PM
Veteran Member

I wouldn't confirm its only the springs either, though Don's analysis most likely is to be correct (and I would bet on Don most any day)...be sure to check the bushing on the front of the rear A-frame support that mount to the body in front of the rear wheels. They carry a bit of torsion load and are easily overlooked and could be a combination noise.

Don B (11-07-2018)
Old 11-07-2018, 02:47 AM
Veteran Member

Also of note that when I 1st pointed out the creak a few weeks ago when they did the bearings he said that when the shocks were done the driver's side rear spring wasn't re-seated properly, causing a couple coils to not release completely & touch/scrub. He re-seated it & dressed it then as well, maybe it was compromised from the improper seating ?! I plan on doing rotors,pads,Pentas & tires all once in the coming days, I will have them take a closer look for sure.

As one can tell, unneeded noise in cars' is my nemesis lol.

Old 11-14-2018, 11:26 PM
Veteran Member

Surpassed my 1,000 mile goal of moan free rear end !

Don B (11-15-2018)

Quick Reply: New noise