XJ XJ8 / XJR ( X308 ) 1997 - 2003

Not your average hood release problem

Search this Thread

Old 05-18-2019, 06:23 PM
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Default Not your average hood release problem

I just bought an 02 XJR and the hood release on the left doesn't work. I've read the instructions to release through the wheel well and can feel and see the spot to release. The problem is the latch is just not budging. Even with solid taps with a mallet to the end of the screwdriver, it's not going anywhere. I drilled a hole for the screwdriver and am using lights and scopes through the other pre-existing gap, so I'm confident I'm at the right place. Any ideas for alternatives besides a 6" hole in the sheet metal?

Old 05-18-2019, 10:23 PM
Veteran Member
Received 842 Likes on 592 Posts

There are three possibilities:

1. The latch is badly corroded and frozen (unlikely)

2. The latch is not correctly aligned with the bonnet pin so the pin is still catching even though the latch is retracted. For this possibility, have someone keep the opening lever (inside the car) in pulled position while you bang on the stuck corner of the bonnet with your fist; or also try pulling that side of the bonnet forward.

3. You are not actually pushing on the correct spot with a screw driver. To assist you verify where the screwdriver is pushing, I have attached a picture of the latch.

Old 05-18-2019, 11:14 PM

Hi M. Thanks for the reply. For (1) it's A California car with no rust or corrosion anywhere, but I'm wondering if a piece of the latch could've broken and jammed. (2) is something the seller and I tried for a while to no avail.

For (3), reading other threads it sounded like the rear spring attachment point was equally fine to use, and looking at how the mechanism works it seems it's the same piece of metal as the sliding latch plate. I've been pushing where the arrow points, and in that direction (rearward on vehicle). I know for a fact I'm on that piece since I can see the screwdriver head on it through the gap.

Old 05-19-2019, 12:54 AM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by Cerberus
For (1) it's A California car with no rust or corrosion anywhere,
I just realised that that there is nothing much to seize as the housing is plastic. The point you showed is correct but it requires considerably harder push as compared to the point I showed.

Otherwise, it is possible that the plastic bush in the middle broke off jamming the bonnet pin. Were you able to see whether the latch is moving when operated by the lever inside the car? The cable may not be broken or disconnected and it may still operate the latch but something else is preventing the pin from popping out. One try you can do is unbolt the bonnet opening lever inside the car and try to pull on the offending side cable. This may release the latch and, in any case, you will verify whether the cable is broken or not - If it does not pull out completely, the cable is still intact.

Old 05-19-2019, 01:00 AM
Veteran Member

Also try, with the cable (if not broken) kept in pulled position, or with the screw driver pushing on the latch, to repeatedly press/release the stuck corner of the bonnet.

Old 05-19-2019, 08:40 AM
Received 7,862 Likes on 4,752 Posts

Most of the time it is the ball end that pops out of the latch lever.

I usually squeeze the 'U'groove tighter on the cable once I get it back in position.

bob

Old 05-24-2019, 11:38 PM

Too busy to tackle for the past week, but got back to playing with it tonight. Looks like I was doing it right and there's a different problem.

The latch plate seems to be in the fully released (or perhaps over-released) position. I watched on a scope camera, the lever assembly where the ball attaches is fine and operates properly with the handle, and I can push it fully with a screwdriver. But, the small tab it actuates on the latch plate is so far back it never contacts it. And, the return spring is over extended so it doesn't pull the latch plate back.

At tthispoint I'm thinking the latch somehow exceeded the full open position and is caught on the opposite side. I think I need to to pull it towards front of car instead of pushing back. This is.....unfun.