XJ XJ8 / XJR ( X308 ) 1997 - 2003

P1111 error and constant restricted performance, HELP

Search this Thread

Old 09-05-2011, 04:06 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default P1111 error and constant restricted performance, HELP

I'm going crazy, sold my 2000 xjr and missed it so much so i bought another.
I thought i found a super clean one on auto trader and bought it blind for $10,300. Black on black 2000 and 80k miles. Had it transported to my house and just like my other xjr, restricted performance issues. after some good advice here clening the maf and connector cured the problem. I checked all the connectors and cleaned them, found no vacum leaks so i cleared the code. After getting p1000 (needed more time to get codes ) it still went into restricted performance and npw is givimg me a yellow light and P1111 message. Once it goes on, it will never shut off unless i turn off the vehicle and restart. Happens when it's cold or hot, in the middle of driving or just after turning it on. The air filter is a bit dirty and the gear shifter is slightly off for N, possibly the cable is loose. I cannot find anything else wrong with the car, any ideas? I disconnected the battery for 4 hours and re=started the car 6 times in a row and again, restricted performance. Turns on about every 10 miles or so. The only other thing it does, while in that mode sometimes it will be stuck in first, or sometimes it will just run slow and other times it will barely move. In addition sometimes if im rolling it will not re-engage in drive unless i stop completely. Tranny shifts excellent when it is not in this mode. What can this be???? Help!

Old 09-06-2011, 02:44 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,064 Likes on 867 Posts

Welvome back!

First, code P1111 is the "opposite" of P1000- test complete. That leaves concerns with the transmission. Although I have never experienced it myself, many claim a low battery can give all sorts of problems on these cars, especially related to RP. I bet cars that are so susceptible to low battery have some bad filer capacitors in the ECU, but a battery would sure be easiser than fixing them. I assume you know that there are many transmission codes that do not show on standard OBD scanners, It might be worth checking that out.
In any case, I would say you should figure this out while you still have recourse against the seller.

The following users liked this post:
river12 (09-07-2011)
Old 09-06-2011, 07:04 AM
Default Dealer info and more details

Thanks for the reply, i purchased an Innova 3100 code reader and was told they work well on these Jaguars. I cleared all the codes and got a P1000 for the first week thereafter, ultimately it turned into a P1111 with a yellow light.

The car constantly goes into this RP mode and will never go out until i re-start, the car idles, shifts and sounds perfect when it sn not in RP. I had another and know the car pretty well.

I read all threads but could'nt find any with no engine light on and RP that doesnt shut off on it's own while driving or slowing etc and showing no codes.
The only other thing i can think of is when i floor it on the highway, i do smell the exhaust like it is burning rich..my old one never stunk at all. Otherwise no smake, no burning oil and super clean.

Tranny shifts perfect when not in RP. Battery seems strong, physically looks ike a 3 year old interstate, although i havent checked it out nor any fuses or relays. The carfax shows recently maintained properly and 2 owners. The engine bay looks niew with new thermostat housing, belts hoses etc.

Does anyone know of a good honest Jag guy in Florida?
How would you proceed with this dealer? I have emails saying no dummy lights, it was inspected etc.

Thanks for the advice.

The name of the dealer for everyones info is:
ADAMS AUTO GROUP INC.
Wholesale Auto Brokers
Dealers First Choice
6027 N. Tryon St.
Charlotte, NC 28213
For our complete inventory
www.adamsofcharlotte.com

Internet Sales:
Sales 704-599-2989
Finance 704-599-1019
Fax 704-598-3666

Last edited by river12; 09-06-2011 at 07:10 AM.
Old 09-06-2011, 09:43 AM
Gus
Veteran Member
Received 2,207 Likes on 1,700 Posts

Plug your OBDII into the car and drive the car when the RP comes up pull to the side of the road and see if it captured the fault. Ross is correct in that your code reader will not read all your codes but try this first.

Old 09-07-2011, 08:20 AM
Default I may have figured it out

I still could not find any codes, but i noticed when i put it into N, R or D the gear selector is slightly off, all those grears engage slightly below the proper notch. I drove around in 4 all day and the only time RP came up is when i reversed or put it in park. Has anyone heard of this? Does it just sound like a cable adjustment or smething more serious?
Thanks

Old 09-07-2011, 08:30 AM
Gus
Veteran Member

The shifter cable is adjustable and I recall seeing a procedure for that. I took my S-Type in to the transmission shop and had them adjust the cable. It was a small price to pay to get it done correctly and at the same time get them to check the trans codes you document the codes and then clear them.

The following users liked this post:
river12 (09-07-2011)
Old 09-07-2011, 04:58 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by river12
I still could not find any codes, but i noticed when i put it into N, R or D the gear selector is slightly off, all those grears engage slightly below the proper notch. I drove around in 4 all day and the only time RP came up is when i reversed or put it in park. Has anyone heard of this? Does it just sound like a cable adjustment or smething more serious?
Thanks
river:
I am not sure of what mechanism would cause the exact symptoms you report, but with all of the cross checked sensors, and the fact that there are several individual switch functions associated with the gear selector, I would sure correct that problem first, before I tore into the transmission or even spent any more worry time on it. Good luck, and keep us posted.

Old 09-07-2011, 09:14 PM

It seems when i am in D the light is not on until i wiggle it a bit. If i stay in 4th, no problems. I am going to adjust the shifter cable in the morning and see what happens. Thanks

Originally Posted by sparkenzap
river:
I am not sure of what mechanism would cause the exact symptoms you report, but with all of the cross checked sensors, and the fact that there are several individual switch functions associated with the gear selector, I would sure correct that problem first, before I tore into the transmission or even spent any more worry time on it. Good luck, and keep us posted.

Old 09-08-2011, 02:04 AM
Received 89 Likes on 73 Posts

Eventually, RP usually will throw a code, which will help you pinpoint the cause... but it sometimes takes quite a few repeats, at least with the symptoms that were causing my RP - corroded Throttle Position Sensor connector pins.

If my memory serves me, I recall that disagreement between the shift position switches in the tranny and the console will cause RP without necessarily throwing a CE code... so you may well be on the right track.

Last edited by QuadManiac; 09-08-2011 at 02:11 AM.
Old 09-08-2011, 11:18 AM

Promlem solved !! Seems when your shifter cable is slightly off, you will throw no codes yet remain in RP nearly full time. At least if others might face the same problem, try putting it in 4th quickly from park and see if it keeps it out of RP.
So glad, these things can drive you crazy!
Thanks for the tips guys

Originally Posted by QuadManiac
Eventually, RP usually will throw a code, which will help you pinpoint the cause... but it sometimes takes quite a few repeats, at least with the symptoms that were causing my RP - corroded Throttle Position Sensor connector pins.

If my memory serves me, I recall that disagreement between the shift position switches in the tranny and the console will cause RP without necessarily throwing a CE code... so you may well be on the right track.

Old 09-08-2011, 11:43 AM
Gus
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by river12
Promlem solved !! Seems when your shifter cable is slightly off, you will throw no codes yet remain in RP nearly full time. At least if others might face the same problem, try putting it in 4th quickly from park and see if it keeps it out of RP.
So glad, these things can drive you crazy!
Thanks for the tips guys
Kudos to you! Good find and good to know. On the road again!

Old 09-15-2011, 04:38 PM
Veteran Member

Decka-
P1111 on a Jaguar is the indication that it has passed the OBD drive cycle. It has NOTHING to do with any sensor.