XJ XJ8 / XJR ( X308 ) 1997 - 2003

Powered steering column retrofit

Search this Thread

Old 04-23-2017, 08:58 AM
Veteran Member
Received 2,180 Likes on 1,583 Posts
Default Powered steering column retrofit

Hey guys,

after replacing the failed steering column on a friends XKR yesterday, I'd like the same in my XJ I currently have the normal mechanical adjustment. Not that it is bad and that I ever touch it, but I'd just like to have it

Has anyone attempted a swap? Is the car prewired for it? MUST it have memory seats? I have a weird combination of power seats, power folding mirrors but no power steering column...

Cheers

Damien

Old 04-23-2017, 09:54 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,769 Likes on 1,303 Posts

I thought all X308's came with a power column. It must be a Euro option, because I don't see a secondary option on my dealers site. Initially I wouldn't be afraid to go on down to the nearest Jag dealer and ask their parts department about it. They'd have to be able to reference it with a VIN number or other code. Then I'd ask them what that code is so when you go to a donor car, you'll know if it will work.
The drive motor would probably be the initial hard fitting piece. This is all I could get off my dealers site for that motor.

The following users liked this post:
Daim (04-23-2017)
Old 04-23-2017, 10:09 AM
Veteran Member

I know the part numbers They are online on jaguarclassicparts

Basically all I need to know is of I need memory seats and if the car is pre-wired

Old 04-23-2017, 10:30 AM
Veteran Member

I suspected you may have, your on the ball with what you want to do. If all you want is put in the power column, that should be accomplishable. The issue, if I am on track with you, is that you want the column to retract when the key is removed, thus the possible need for memory seats or at least the controls for them.
My friend, I think you have a project, and not in the small terms of it. My instincts would be to scavenge a whole column, wire and all, from a breaker yard so you have everything. But first I'd be reviewing the X308 workshop manual details for the interface.

Old 04-23-2017, 11:12 AM
Veteran Member

You've misunderstood.

The questions are:
Do I need memory?
Is the column prewired?

I don't intend on fitting memory functions. I just want a powered column. That is all.

So, are the wires and plugs already in place so I can simply plug them into a column or is memory requured in krder to get the column to work? Dunno how much clearer I can write this...

Old 04-23-2017, 09:37 PM
Veteran Member

I understand, but if your going to use the possible prewire, then you need to check the schematic to see if its centrally run for a module, that is my point. What I was saying regarding the memory function, is when you remove the ignition key, the column retracts and seat moves back (if forward) for ease of exiting and access (though you state you aren't using the seat function). When you insert the key, the column returns to the preset...thus the possible need for the memory module if using the prewire. Plus, the column is interfaced so if in an accident, it will auto retract. Those type things are what I am trying to say you may have to deal with if using the connectors.

If you simply want to set it and forget it, ..again, I suggest reviewing the wiring guide in the X308 workshop manual for how the wiring intersects if prewired. Other than that its irrelevant and you simply need to hotwire it direct not using the connectors, just the motor adjustors.
For direct wire, I'd physically look where the column relay fuse is and see if its wired. If its wired there, it should be wired to the column. Other than that, take the cover off the column and look.

Old 04-23-2017, 09:57 PM
Received 221 Likes on 172 Posts

are you 100% sure you don't have it already? Have you double checked the adjustment knob? It should twist to set it to Auto

Old 04-23-2017, 10:51 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by grandell
are you 100% sure you don't have it already? Have you double checked the adjustment knob? It should twist to set it to Auto
I have two mechanical levers underneath. And I have adjusted the column enough to know it I'be had the car now more than 2 years. And I've replaced a few on other cars. I obviously know how it looks.

@highhorse

How can I use the memory function if I don't have it? That is my question. Sorry, I'm giving up. I'll just make a loom up and get that column in somehow...

Jesus, as if you don't want to understand...

Old 04-24-2017, 03:47 AM
Veteran Member
Received 470 Likes on 352 Posts

When I dismantled my old 1999 X308, which had manual column adjust, the plug for the column switch was there but wrapped in sponge as it wasn't used. It came out as part of the entire indicator/wiper stalk arrangement and is actually now on my 02 car because I needed to replace the stalks on that car.

Just whip off the lower column shroud on your car and see if the plug is there, if so you should be able to plug in and play.

Old 04-24-2017, 05:17 AM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by Stu 1986
When I dismantled my old 1999 X308, which had manual column adjust, the plug for the column switch was there but wrapped in sponge as it wasn't used. It came out as part of the entire indicator/wiper stalk arrangement and is actually now on my 02 car because I needed to replace the stalks on that car.

Just whip off the lower column shroud on your car and see if the plug is there, if so you should be able to plug in and play.
Now THAT is an answer I hope for. Stu, many thanks! When I'm reunited with my banger I'll check.

Was it the yellow or white connector?

Old 04-24-2017, 05:54 AM
Veteran Member
Received 470 Likes on 352 Posts

Black Plug. I've found some photos for you with the wire colours on too.

Old 04-24-2017, 09:37 AM
Veteran Member

Okay, and for the motors? I know there were LOADS of wires and cables below the dash, but two are for the motors...

Old 04-24-2017, 02:52 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,341 Likes on 1,057 Posts

On the spare power column I have there's 6 connectors, 2 yellow 1 grey and 3 white. When I've done wiring jobs on the dash, the loom has a tag which specifies what the car is equipped with, later models tended to have PWR CLM.

Attached Thumbnails Powered steering column retrofit-img_0700.jpg   Powered steering column retrofit-dscf4493.jpg  
Old 06-14-2022, 02:18 PM
Received 17 Likes on 11 Posts

Maybe reviving an old thread but,

I am currently in the exact same process. Perhaps for people who also want to do this in the future:

The wiring harness IN the dashboard (called facia in the workshop manual) contains 6 connections for the steering column IF the first owner has opted for a power column option as Sean B also pointed out.
My 2 manual steering column XJ's DO NOT have these connections. The connector for the adjuster *** is there (taped off, not connected) but the 2 connectors for the dc motors that move the steering wheel are not present.

I'm working on transferring the entire interior, including the dashboard with the correct wiring harness, so this shouldn't be a problem.
At the end of the week this project will be finished and I'll let you know if it works or not.

If you want to do this retrofit, I recommend looking under the dashboard (drivers side) to see if there are 2 white loose connectors somewhere. You may want to unscrew the bottom panel (if you're sitting in the drivers seat, right above your shins) to get a better look.

Filipp (03-19-2024)
Old 06-15-2022, 08:14 AM
Veteran Member
Received 360 Likes on 305 Posts

It would seem to be considerable work merely to obtain a memory function of the steering wheel.
However, what a driver wants....is what a driver wants!

Old 06-15-2022, 11:07 AM
Veteran Member
Received 971 Likes on 770 Posts

I never knew that a manual adjustable column even existed. Can you post a pic of the mechanism that moves the column?

Old 06-20-2022, 12:53 PM
Received 17 Likes on 11 Posts

Addicted2boost,

Yeah sure, here you go:
Spoiler

Addicted2boost (06-20-2022)
Old 06-20-2022, 01:07 PM
Veteran Member
Received 971 Likes on 770 Posts

Thank you for that! I find that fascinating that there was a manual column adjust.