XJ XJ8 / XJR ( X308 ) 1997 - 2003

Running a cable from the boot to the front of the car - how? - RESOLVED

Search this Thread

Old 07-02-2016, 03:33 PM
Received 528 Likes on 427 Posts
Default Running a cable from the boot to the front of the car - how? - RESOLVED

Hi Guys,

I finally gave in and decided to sort out the rear parking sensors on my XJ Sport.. The cheapest and simplest route was to replace the sensors and module with a third party package, which came from EuroCarParts..

No problem.. twisted the current Jaguar sensors to remove them, replaced them with the new sensors, ran the cables into the boot via the route the old cables took, seat the new module where the old module was, snitch some power from the reversing light feed, and bingo - amazingly for me it works a treat - HOWEVER (as always with me there is an issue) I cannot see how to get the cable to the speaker into the cabin area from the boot.. a big issue as a beeper going off in the boot cannot be heard in the cabin :-(

I am considering removing the two bolts by the rear fuse boxes behind the kick panels and removing the back seat for access but is there then an easy or logical obvious route through for a speaker wire?

I am looking at this on Sunday morning so any input on this technical issue would be appreciated..

I have an X-Type too and have run cables into the boot area before but the XJ is a whole new ballgame :-(

Any input very much appreciated.. many thanks

Last edited by GGG; 07-04-2016 at 03:04 AM. Reason: Add 'RESOLVED' to thread title
Old 07-02-2016, 05:57 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,351 Likes on 926 Posts

It is actually not too difficult.

Remove the rear seat bottom cushion (bolts behind the fuse covers), and loosen the bolts from the vertical cushion (it just keeps hanging, but it allows you some space between the cushion and the bulkhead to fumble).
No need to remove safety belts and those.

Then, in the boot, I presume you removed all lining already, if not, do so.
Standing at the back of the car, you will see several cable looms in the left top (filler area) corner.

Follow some cables by hand, and you will see (or actually feel) they disappear in the LOWER left side bulkhead, which has several openings.

So what I did was to use a stiff wire cable, pushed it through one of the openings, and retrieved it from the cabin side by poking my hand between the bulkhead and hanging cushion.
You cant really see it, but you will feel if you got the correct hole, if not, it is a re-try.

If that is done, you can route the wire under the cushions, following the OEM ones, to the location of the beeper.

The following 2 users liked this post by ericjansen:
RJ237 (07-02-2016), SteveSheldon (07-04-2016)
Old 07-03-2016, 01:52 AM

Many many thanks.. I will be looking at that later this morning.. I had concentrated my efforts on the lower right corner near the battery area and hadn't even considered the filler area.. I will let you know how I go. I hate half done jobs lol and was getting really frustrated yesterday so thankyou :-)

Old 07-04-2016, 02:32 AM

It went well.. with the gap in the bulkhead just below the rear quarter window on the filler side, pushing the cable through from the cabin side, and then reaching forwrae between the outer skin of the car and the bulkhead from the boot to grab the cable and route it through. Even found some coins under the back seat so I can't copmplain lol. Thankyou for the pointer though, I would never have spotted that without knowing where to look, or rather feel :-)

Old 07-04-2016, 03:13 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,351 Likes on 926 Posts

You're most welcome, glad I could help.
And yes, I remember there was quite some fumbling involved .