XJ XJ8 / XJR ( X308 ) 1997 - 2003

Saggy roof lining

Search this Thread

Old 02-14-2013, 03:50 PM
Received 280 Likes on 176 Posts

Few years back when I was restoring my XJS, I asked the shop that was working on the upholstery (these people are ARTISTS!), to put perforated leather on the headliner. I think that would be way cool.

They said that it can not be done! And these people do it for living. They told me that the leather is too heavy, and it simply wouldn't stay there for a very long time. Gravity at work. So I abandoned the idea, but I still would like to have it.

My wife's Tabby has a sagging headliner also (in the back - the usual spot), and it will go in for a new one next month ($300 quoted). Well worth it to me, for I can not work with fabric! I am pretty good, self taught, "wrench turner" (I don't dare call myself a mechanic!), but upholstery I leave to the pros.

Old 02-14-2013, 05:02 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,618 Likes on 874 Posts

coastaljag98
Please post weblink to the headliner kit for $60. I have been trying to find it on the internet without any success. Also could not find the youtube video you mentioned (a weblink would be helpful).

Jim Lombardi

Old 02-14-2013, 06:17 PM
Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts
Default XJ8 Headliner

The original 1998 thru 2003 headliner material is 1/8 inch thick including foam backing.
If you recover the sunroof use the proper thickness. Also if you use thicker material for the headliner make sure the trim surroubing the front of the Sunroof does not put any pressure on the sunroof panal.
The foam is the cause of failure as well as the fact that Jaguar did not spray the headliner material -- just the board..

If you want the new headliner to hold up well use a 3M headliner Adhesive and spray the headliner board and the liner.

Color match is tough... I have what Jag called Oatmeal Interior... and had to get a med gray headliner material that is as close as i could get--- Beige and tans clashed with the Visors

Coastal's removal/install instructions are right on.

The following users liked this post:
coastaljag98 (02-14-2013)
Old 02-14-2013, 07:14 PM
Received 45 Likes on 37 Posts

the link to the site I ordered from is yourautotrim.com. Go to headliner kits and I ordered the 90x60 kit for 42.28. It comes with 2 cans of the 3m adhesive spray. you won't use but one tho. It was less than 60 bucks after tax and shipping and you select the color you want. I couldn't find the youtube vid but it was on the forum somewhere...I'll keep looking but basically it was just how I explained. Easy. You'll need a torx screw driver for the grab handle screws...those are hidden by the caps on the actual grab handles. Mine were chrome, yours may be plastic. You use a small flat head to pop those off. The same screws are in the visor clips and you have those both front and rear. I forgot to mention the rear visor clips! I didn't bother with my sunroof because it wasn't sagged.

Old 02-14-2013, 08:06 PM
Received 66 Likes on 49 Posts

http://www.extravaganzi.com/wp-conte...ication-10.jpg thats the best one i could find, but that sure does look like Leather, this is a pic of the current Mulsanne

Old 02-15-2013, 06:18 AM
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Cool

Originally Posted by jimlombardi
Hi
I found a post in the XK8/XKR forum section on removing the cloth on the A-Pillars, then cleaning/washing the original fabic, then regluing the fabic to the A-Pillars.

I wonder if the same process can be used on the entire headliner.

Here is the weblink to the posting:

HOW TO: Recover the A-Pillars & Windshield Header with New Upholstery (Video) - Page 4 - Jaguar Forums - Jaguar Enthusiasts Forum

Jim Lombardi
Jim,
No disrespect intended, but have you ever replaced a headliner. It is one Hell of a job removing the headliner AND all its ancillieries from a car, due to its pysical size. So when you remove it, why would you just clean the existing, when for about $30 you could replace the whole material.
Sounds stupid to me. Why would you "Half do a job". If a jobs worth doing its worth doing it right

Attached Images  
Old 02-15-2013, 07:40 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,618 Likes on 874 Posts

TerryR
I am concerned with trying to get a close color match on the replacement headliner.
That is why I am thinking about reusing the existing headliner fabric.

I am very impressed with the results that were accomplished with the reuse of the fabric on the A pillars.

This spring I will start to see if I can remove the headliner fabric and the foam from the headboard without removing the headboard.

If that is not possible or I find it too hard to do, then I will have to remove the complete headliner.

Here is a PDF of replacing the headliner on a Buick without taking the headboard out of the vehicle:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/qv53tliv38...dliner%20b.pdf

There are things mentioned in the PDF that I would not do such as:
Leaving the existing headliner fabic in place and just installing new fabric over it;
Using a Grille brush to scrape the board might damage it;
Putting the headliner fabric on the hood (bonnet) while you are spraying the adhesive on the fabric.

Jim Lombardi

Last edited by jimlombardi; 02-15-2013 at 06:17 PM.
Old 02-15-2013, 09:27 AM
Received 18 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by danielsand
Few years back when I was restoring my XJS, I asked the shop that was working on the upholstery (these people are ARTISTS!), to put perforated leather on the headliner. I think that would be way cool.

They said that it can not be done! And these people do it for living. They told me that the leather is too heavy, and it simply wouldn't stay there for a very long time. Gravity at work. So I abandoned the idea, but I still would like to have it.

My wife's Tabby has a sagging headliner also (in the back - the usual spot), and it will go in for a new one next month ($300 quoted). Well worth it to me, for I can not work with fabric! I am pretty good, self taught, "wrench turner" (I don't dare call myself a mechanic!), but upholstery I leave to the pros.
They would have to do it like an older car, and fabricate and install a headliner bow system somehow. It can always be done, however the proper question is how much do you want to spend for it to be done? On my day to day I see many things around cars that "cannot be done" that are not only able to be done but normally exceed the original idea.

Old 02-15-2013, 09:32 AM
Received 129 Likes on 61 Posts

Originally Posted by BMC Nut
They would have to do it like an older car, and fabricate and install a headliner bow system somehow. It can always be done, however the proper question is how much do you want to spend for it to be done? On my day to day I see many things around cars that "cannot be done" that are not only able to be done but normally exceed the original idea.
But it can be done and I've done it. Using DAP Weldwood, a pneumatic sprayer and patience. Suede, vinyl and leather are no issue they just take time and patience to do.

Old 02-15-2013, 01:20 PM

Originally Posted by BMC Nut
what do you mean by Bow System?

Old 02-15-2013, 01:21 PM

Bow headliners, sort of like a tonneau cover bow on trucks.

Attached Thumbnails Saggy roof lining-bow_type_headliner.jpg  
Safi (02-15-2013)
Old 02-15-2013, 01:33 PM

this is an old 80's Bentley Mulsanne, is this considered to be a Bow System?

Attached Thumbnails Saggy roof lining-344_silverspur_headliner_3_.jpg  
Probesport (02-15-2013)
Old 02-15-2013, 01:39 PM
Veteran Member
Received 152 Likes on 131 Posts

Heads Up Emergency Headliner Saggy Stoppers Repair Kit - Automotive - Headliner & Sun Visors - Universal Headliner Kit

I used this and spray-painted to match the headliner color and the result is not bad for a cheap fix.

I will share the pictures later

Last edited by vincent661983; 02-15-2013 at 02:07 PM.
Old 02-15-2013, 01:50 PM

Originally Posted by Safi
this is an old 80's Bentley Mulsanne, is this considered to be a Bow System?

Not really, bows tension side to side not front to back.

Old 02-15-2013, 02:35 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,341 Likes on 1,057 Posts

I re-trimmed mine with Alcantara. It's a job that needs a little planning but if your handy shouldn't be difficult. I did the A pillars to match and a trimmer stitched the C pillars and sun visors. I managed to recover the roof console, but I wouldn't recommend going that far unless you have a spare. Much better than the original gear Jaguar used, but not cheap. Looks like a 4 door Aston inside now with the nappa leather B posts etc

Last edited by Sean B; 02-15-2013 at 02:37 PM.
Old 02-15-2013, 02:38 PM
Received 80 Likes on 64 Posts

Hi Webbi, welcome to a great forum!
The headliner on my XJ8 which I picked up last December sags as well, so the previous owner used push pins that have clear heads to hold it up.
My goal is to reline it this summer, as it's does not look too bad with the pins in place.
Looks like they used the pins shown on Vincent661983's post but just left them clear.

Last edited by runnerpaul; 02-15-2013 at 02:44 PM.
Old 02-16-2013, 02:49 AM
Received 18 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by Safi
what do you mean by Bow System?
The picture probesport put is exactly what I am saying, it's basically a headliner with a loop stitched in the length of the headliner at intervals, then a bow is fed through it and affixed at both driver and passenger inner roof, then the ends of the headliner are glued and tucked up into the trim to finish it. Classic look I always loved the look of a well done headliner like this.

Old 10-09-2013, 04:10 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I am interestd!!

Old 10-09-2013, 07:57 PM
Received 16 Likes on 12 Posts
Default Had Mine Done....

The only thing I would add is to consider carefully how big a job you want to tackle. Mine was sagging in the back; no surprise being an Arizona car. Someone had tried a temp repair with spray adhesive and it sorely complicated the proper repair. I had a local upholstery shop do it and it is terrific. Totally perfect match. Price? Well under $1K. Way under. I have that upholstery shop do a lot of work for me, so I don't want to mislead on pricing.

Old 10-09-2013, 09:13 PM

I will have to say, since doing mine this is a simple task that can be done for well under $100.

Even with taking your time and being careful I did my headliner, sunroof and roof console in just about 4 hours.

Quick Reply: Saggy roof lining