XJ XJ8 / XJR ( X308 ) 1997 - 2003

Saggy roof lining

Old 10-09-2013, 09:31 PM
Received 50 Likes on 39 Posts
Default This is my temporary fix:

I bought some aluminum stock from my local Ace Hardware.

Paid 5-6 dollars for each piece.

Cut it to length, bent each side, and it just tucks into the trim.

Had to use the flash on my camera this evening, and the pics don't really do this justice.

The metal bar really does not stand out. I have had people look at the car, and they haven't even noticed it.

At least it isn't hanging down and flapping when I have the windows down.

I didn't like the option of pins or those screw in upholstery screws.

I also didn't want to try to spray any glue and try to fix it in place.

This is a cheap and easy TEMPORARY fix that looks okay.

I MIGHT add a second bar.

I also MIGHT take out the bars, prime and then paint with AGD vinyl and leather paint.

These metal supports don't cause any damage at all.

This will buy me some time to do this right, as I plan on keeping my XJR forever.

Stewart

p.s. Here is a pic without the flash:

Attached Thumbnails Saggy roof lining-upq4cup.jpg   Saggy roof lining-y2i0slz.jpg   Saggy roof lining-j8z7w0g.jpg  

Last edited by Platinum XJR; 10-09-2013 at 09:38 PM. Reason: add third photo
The following users liked this post:
garytalda (01-19-2015)
Old 10-10-2013, 09:57 AM
Received 57 Likes on 39 Posts

For those looking for another form of temporary fix, I've found that U-pins work extremely well for this purpose.

Most craft stores carry them and some Wal-Marts with craft sections do, too. It's better if you can get the variety that are flat rather than with a small angle bent at 90-degrees to the tines near the peak of the 'U'.

I've been using these for several years now, and you can add them strategically as different areas sag.

I do not know who the supplier of the original headliner material was, but I hope that Jag has long ago stopped using them. I have never seen any other car with headliner sag problems as commonly occurring as they are in the X308. The foam backing seems to self-destruct in virtually every car after far fewer years than would be considered acceptable in a Chevrolet (or insert your entry-level brand of choice).

Old 10-10-2013, 11:47 AM
Veteran Member
Received 857 Likes on 705 Posts

These are some interesting choices. But for quickness, quarter inch staples are hardly noticeable and do not pull out. Have not found anybody local to me that will do the job right for under a grand.

Old 10-12-2013, 03:53 PM
Received 20 Likes on 19 Posts

frankly i am with RJ...on this one......i have two xj8s......on the long i made the dealer replace.....it really wasn't that bad....but i figured...let me ask....as a deal clincher....they agreed so i have a new....headliner in my long....on my xj8 base.....which i bought at a great price...at the time....the back was beginning to sag......i put about 6 pins in and it really looks good...you only see them if you are actually sitting in the back and looking up....

as you have already seen...you will get many opinions on how difficult it is to change out the head liner.....some will say easy others will say difficult and a least a two person job....

my advice...is unless this is a "show car".....or you are looking to sell the car right away....you may want to try the pin fix...first....before going all the way on a new head liner.....its up to you

re the pin fix...depends on 2 factors:
1).....using the right pins to begin with (ones that work are called pig tails)..the shafts.....have a squiggly turn to them that screws into the existing headliner board
2).......how the pins are installed......if installed correctly....no one will even notice.....i have had people in the back seat who never even mention them...

if you are interested...pm me and i will .....give you the name of the ones i used...purchased at joanns....(sewing/material/crafts)shop.

garytalda (01-19-2015)
Old 10-12-2013, 04:54 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

My XJR had the same problem. I just had it professionally redone this week for $600 in Virginia Beach, VA.

Old 10-12-2013, 05:11 PM
Received 41 Likes on 35 Posts

Originally Posted by jagjunky
frankly i am with RJ...on this one......i have two xj8s......on the long i made the dealer replace.....it really wasn't that bad....but i figured...let me ask....as a deal clincher....they agreed so i have a new....headliner in my long....on my xj8 base.....which i bought at a great price...at the time....the back was beginning to sag......i put about 6 pins in and it really looks good...you only see them if you are actually sitting in the back and looking up....

as you have already seen...you will get many opinions on how difficult it is to change out the head liner.....some will say easy others will say difficult and a least a two person job....

my advice...is unless this is a "show car".....or you are looking to sell the car right away....you may want to try the pin fix...first....before going all the way on a new head liner.....its up to you

re the pin fix...depends on 2 factors:
1).....using the right pins to begin with (ones that work are called pig tails)..the shafts.....have a squiggly turn to them that screws into the existing headliner board
2).......how the pins are installed......if installed correctly....no one will even notice.....i have had people in the back seat who never even mention them...

if you are interested...pm me and i will .....give you the name of the ones i used...purchased at joanns....(sewing/material/crafts)shop.
....and if you want..... I can type...... Without pausing..... To think about what..... I'm going to type...... Next.

I really hope that was for an effect I was missing as it was painful to read your post.

Jhartz (10-13-2013)
Old 10-13-2013, 04:42 AM
Veteran Member
Received 857 Likes on 705 Posts

For BLCAT: who and where in VaBch will do this $600?

Old 10-13-2013, 11:52 AM

ok badbenz i will put it in standard 6th grade English without the pauses. Bottom line- what I said was, paraphrasing: If you want you may PM me and I will give you the brand name of the twist pins(purchased at Joann's)which I used to make the repair.I am looking for the the twist pins package at this time.

I like Stuart's fix. From what I saw and although the pictures are not great it looks like a pretty clean, creative solution.

Old 10-13-2013, 12:12 PM
Received 57 Likes on 39 Posts

ok badbenz i will put it in standard 6th grade English without the pauses.
And this version was infinitely easier to read and to make sense of.

jagjunky (10-13-2013)
Old 10-13-2013, 05:27 PM
Received 50 Likes on 39 Posts

I like Stuart's fix. From what I saw and although the pictures are not great it looks like a pretty clean, creative solution.
I am going to add one more bar and see how it looks.

Then I am going to prime and paint the bars AGD.

Once done I'll take some pics in daylight so you can see how it came out.

My car isn't a show car (yet ) but the idea of using upholstery screws or pins really doesn't appeal to me.

Somewhere else on this forum I saw someone who used pieces of wood, like I am using the aluminum, and it actually looked nice.

I just want my headliner to look okay while I get other stuff done.

I have not decided to tackle the headliner myself or to farm it out.

Stewart

Old 10-13-2013, 06:13 PM
Received 41 Likes on 35 Posts

ok badbenz i will put it in standard 6th grade English without the pauses. Bottom line- what I said was, paraphrasing: If you want you may PM me and I will give you the brand name of the twist pins(purchased at Joann's)which I used to make the repair.I am looking for the the twist pins package at this time.

Thanks!! We all appreciate it. We are not worthy of advanced English

Old 10-13-2013, 11:25 PM

Stuart i agree with you...i am not crazy about the push pin solution although it came out pretty good on my car.....it is infinitely better than having a sag back there.
Your solution looks good and has a factory finish feel to it.....I am wondering if by adding a second, would you be over doing it?

I would rather(and i think you agree) effect a repair that provides a reasonable solution to the" sagging headliner problem" at low cost and use the money saved (400-600 bucks from posts i have seen here) to address other potential mechanical,electrical or brake system issues that inevitably arise in the course of using and enjoying the car! regards robert

Old 10-14-2013, 02:05 PM

For Jhartz,

I had my headliner removed and re-upholstered by Young's Uphostery. Part of that $600 coast was to also do replace the material on both sun visors to help it all match nicer. The only part they didn't replace was the sunglasses holder area. I'm sure for the right price they could have done that too though. Young's actually doesn't have a wide variety of material for vehicles...but the light gray was a match. I would be happy to take photos if anyone is interested.

Young's Uphostery
2428 Virginia Beach Blvd #102
Virginia Beach
(757) 965-3800

Jhartz (10-14-2013)
Old 08-24-2014, 11:59 AM

I m getting the whole thing replaced this week on my XKR 2001.

Started sagging a bit on the back, and today fell completely. Tried gluing again but the inner part has become useless.

Old 03-17-2015, 05:31 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Well I did the pushpin thing. I can say it is not great, but I am not skilled in the least. I screwed into the headliner along where I assume the sunroof ends and then used a few additional between where passenger heads would be. I definitely think PlatinumXJRs solution is better for anyone with any skill at all.
Given that we rarely subject anyone to torture back there it is good enough for a 16 year old car...

Now considering doing something about the absolute crap stereo....

Old 03-18-2015, 10:52 PM
Received 39 Likes on 29 Posts

I did my own headliner and found it an easy DIY job. Only wish someone had warned me about leaving the extra inch on the sunroof hole. I trimmed to the edges, dammit. Will probably do it over this summer. Was easy enough to redo correctly. If only the spray adhesive weren't so expensive.

Old 03-19-2015, 12:31 AM
Veteran Member
Received 2,166 Likes on 1,610 Posts

For those in the UK, try Myrtle Productions.

They manufacture new headliners complete with new fiberglass biscuit board.

Very reasonable pricing and shipping within the UK.

They will ship internationally, but the shipping is astronomical.

++