XJ XJ8 / XJR ( X308 ) 1997 - 2003

Should you change your Differential oil?

Search this Thread

Old 05-30-2011, 07:44 PM
Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts
Default Should you change your Differential oil?

I like to try and stay ahead of expensive, pain in the a$$ repairs on my 99 XJ8 so I was wondering....

Is it a good idea to change the differential oil at some point? I have about 100K miles on my Jag, just wondering it is necessary and if so should I do it now?

How about cleaning the breather on the diff?

Thanks....

Old 05-30-2011, 08:21 PM
Veteran Member
Received 2,166 Likes on 1,610 Posts

At a minimum, you should consider checking the level of the oil and checking that the breather is functioning. Motorcarman has pointed out that many suspected seal problems disappear once a clogged breather is replaced. It costs under $20 from a dealer.

Over the years, the oil will have picked up contaminants and water, even from something as simple as condensation. That may lead you to decide that changing the oil is a good idea. You need full synthetic differential oil of the proper weight as found in your owners manual under specifications.

The following users liked this post:
Dan R (05-31-2011)
Old 05-31-2011, 01:54 AM
Received 70 Likes on 63 Posts

Originally Posted by plumsauce
At a minimum, you should consider checking the level of the oil and checking that the breather is functioning. Motorcarman has pointed out that many suspected seal problems disappear once a clogged breather is replaced. It costs under $20 from a dealer.

Over the years, the oil will have picked up contaminants and water, even from something as simple as condensation. That may lead you to decide that changing the oil is a good idea. You need full synthetic differential oil of the proper weight as found in your owners manual under specifications.
Good tip on the breather.

Old 05-31-2011, 04:22 AM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by Dan R
Good tip on the breather.
well yes, but credit for the why and wherefore belongs to motorcarman

Old 05-31-2011, 08:21 AM
Veteran Member
Received 10,757 Likes on 7,101 Posts

Originally Posted by ronmexico
I like to try and stay ahead of expensive, pain in the a$$ repairs on my 99 XJ8 so I was wondering....

Is it a good idea to change the differential oil at some point? I have about 100K miles on my Jag, just wondering it is necessary and if so should I do it now?

How about cleaning the breather on the diff?

Thanks....

Synthetic gear oil, if that's what your came with, last a long time but, still....100k miles? Yeah, I'd change it even if just for the feel good factor.

Cheers
DD

Old 06-01-2011, 09:55 PM

Just curious, how does one actually check the level of oil in the diff? I presume there is no dipstick or the like in there.

How do you know it is full but not too full?

Old 06-01-2011, 10:35 PM
Veteran Member

The correct level is at the fill plug, which is on the rear of the diff. Like a bathtub overflow, when it starts to overflow you are at the correct level. To check, you should be able to feel the lubricant if you stick your finger in.(easy double entendre goes here)

XJRay (05-04-2015)
Old 06-07-2011, 07:56 AM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by plumsauce

Since english isnt my first language.. what is the "breather" and where on the car is it placed?

Old 06-07-2011, 08:37 AM

It is on top of the rear differential on the right side if your looking from behind.

Jack the car up,*put it on a jack stand for safety*, use a open end wrench to loosen it up and take it out.... I cleaned mine, blew through it and it was good. Put a shot of wd-40 in there just to be sure.

Old 06-08-2011, 05:24 AM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by ronmexico
It is on top of the rear differential on the right side if your looking from behind.

Jack the car up,*put it on a jack stand for safety*, use a open end wrench to loosen it up and take it out.... I cleaned mine, blew through it and it was good. Put a shot of wd-40 in there just to be sure.

Is it this

PART LOAD BREATHER HOSE

or this

HOSE-FULL LOAD BREATHER

Old 06-08-2011, 05:33 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,341 Likes on 1,057 Posts

Originally Posted by fitnessrx
Neither, they're engine parts. You need part number JLM 20323.

someguywithajag (02-19-2019)
Old 04-29-2015, 10:35 AM
Received 24 Likes on 8 Posts
Default Changing differential breather as maintenance?

I'm scheduling a differential oil change as part of my 100k miles (160k km) XJR service. I read a few posts here about the breather, part JLM20323, as something to change, but they mostly seem to be related to someone posting about a problem with their diff.

I don't have any diff problems as far as I know. But it sounds like at least couple of you think it's still a good idea to replace the breather when doing oil change, as preventative maintenance. Does anyone think it's just spending money for the sake of it?

My perspective is I plan to schedule the next diff oil change at 200k miles. Or never if the car doesn't get that far under my watch. And would like to not think about it again until then.

Last edited by Auspuff; 04-29-2015 at 10:38 AM.
Old 08-15-2015, 03:55 PM
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Without a drain plug and considering its inaccessibility, Jaguar likely considered it "lubricated for life." Nevertheless, I just returned from service attempt to remove and refill with Redline 75W-140 NS for regular hypoid differential (I do NOT have limited slip diff). (See Jaguar Tech Bulletin from 2004. My 2003 VIN was included.) HOWEVER, diff. fill plug (must suction out "old" oil) was fully blocked by rear suspension pieces. No special tool listed by Jaguar for servicing. A 1/2" drive socket can be partially inserted, but will not fully and squarely "seat" in plug. Proper and "safe" access requires "dropping" rear suspension parts, if one REALLY is determined to change diff. fluid. After inspection and explanation, I decided against it. Anyone have any Dealer info/experience on this job?

Old 08-15-2015, 07:31 PM
Veteran Member
Received 370 Likes on 254 Posts
Default Made a tool...

My differential fill plug was also horribly blocked by suspension components. I took the 1/2 inch head off of a broken torque wrench and used a ratcheting wrench to turn it. Hard to explain, but I attached a picture.

Once the fill bolt is out, the rest is easy. I made sure the car was fully level, of course, then pulled the old fluid out with a siphon. I siphoned into a measuring container so I could tell when I had likely gotten it all. I then pumped in the new Red Line fluid until a thin stream came out, and tightened the fill plug back up with my homemade tool.

I also removed the breather, thoroughly cleaned it with brake cleaner and compressed air, and then re-installed it.

The fluid that came out (95,000 miles on car) looked and smelled very unpleasant! It made me feel good to put that nice honey colored synthetic fluid back in there.

Attached Thumbnails Should you change your Differential oil?-homemade-tool.jpg  
The following 2 users liked this post by harvest14:
Don B (08-15-2015), someguywithajag (02-19-2019)
Old 08-15-2015, 09:09 PM
Received 12,737 Likes on 6,379 Posts

I assume this may be true on the X300 & X308 since their basic body structure is nearly identical to the XJ40: if you remove the spare tire and the carpeted trim panel behind it, you may find several removable metal "sealing plugs" in the sheetmetal bulkhead of the trunk/boot. They look like Part 3 in this diagram:

One of those plugs may be close enough to the differential fill plug that by removing it, you may gain access for snaking a 1/2" ratchet extension into the fill plug (possibly with a universal flex joint). As a result, you will be able to use your ratchet or breaker bar inside the trunk. That's the method many XJ40 owners have used to access the fill plug, and it makes it a lot easier to refill the diff using a FloTool style filler tube that threads onto the gear oil bottles.

I can't say that even if you find a plugs in the bulkhead close to the fill plug that you won't still have limited access since the X308 has the "monostrut" rear diff support, but it might be worth a try.

Cheers,

Don

Last edited by Don B; 08-15-2015 at 09:11 PM.
The following 2 users liked this post by Don B:
someguywithajag (02-19-2019), XJRay (08-17-2015)
Old 08-16-2015, 07:50 PM

Again, anyone have DEALER experience in removing and replacing (with 75W-140) NS (non-slip) differential lube??? Because this task is subject of a 2004 Jag. Tech Service Bulletin, one would assume dealers are prepared to perform. Are they? Any advice? Cost? Time on "rack." Results? Thanks.

Old 08-16-2015, 08:57 PM
Veteran Member
Received 370 Likes on 254 Posts
Default I was unclear, sorry.

Trottier.ed,

Are you asking for advice from someone who has worked at a dealership; for their official method to conduct the differential service? Or, are you asking for advice from someone who has taken their car to a dealer and paid to have the work done for them? I guess if it’s either, I should not have responded. My apologies.

It appeared though, from your first post, that you considered doing it yourself so I could not resist offering a little encouragement to complete the service on your own. Once I fashioned the tool, the whole job took about 30 minutes. Sorry if I didn't answer your question directly enough. Sometimes I’m overeager to recommend the DIY option. You are probably busy and taking it to a dealer may save you valuable time.

Good luck and please post here if you end up paying a dealer to perform the work. I would be really interested to know what they charge.

Old 08-16-2015, 09:11 PM

Harvest14--No apology necessary. I did NOT consider doing it myself. This decision was confirmed when I inspected the job, with car on lift. NOT easy; no direct, unencumbered access. No Jaguar "special" tool listed for task. If OEM 1/2" square plug is damaged, better have one in stock!!! I am quizzing local (Augusta and Atlanta) Jag dealers. Decided on REMOVING OEM diff fluid and refill with Amsoil 75W-110. AGAIN, my 2003 XJR is NON-LIMITED SLIP !! Will keep all posted.

Old 08-17-2015, 08:47 AM

Sent out e-mail to two Jag dealerships: One in Buckhead, GA; the other Atlanta. Got a very nice return call from Buckhead Dealer this morning. They (service Mgr and Tech) researched the job and are confident they can perform it for me (although they have NOT done so previously). I provide the Lube, they do labor. $135. Seems quite reasonable to me. Trying to decide between Amsoil 75W-110 or RedLine 75W-140 (NS).

Old 08-17-2015, 02:58 PM
Veteran Member
Received 413 Likes on 318 Posts

harvest14, did his own diff oil change in about 30mins, at home.

Jag main dealer wants $135 labour, with you supplying the oil?

That is $270 per hour, and why hasn't a main dealer got the correct oil in stock?
With you having to supply your own diff oil, I assume the main dealer would not offer any warranty on the work?

Sorry if I am rambling, but it does seem very odd that a Jaguar Main Dealer has never put oil into a X300/X308/X100 diff in over 25 years.

RJ237 (08-17-2015)

Quick Reply: Should you change your Differential oil?