XJ XJ8 / XJR ( X308 ) 1997 - 2003

Squeaking / Creaking From Drivers Rear on 1998 XJR

Search this Thread

Old 07-01-2015, 12:50 AM
Received 34 Likes on 20 Posts
Default Squeaking / Creaking From Drivers Rear on 1998 XJR

Hello all, I picked up a 98 XJR with a few issues that need attention. One of the main issues is there is a squeaking / creaking noise from the drivers side rear wheel area when driving. I have tried pushing on that corner of the car when parked and do not hear the noise. Whether I am driving on smooth or rough road, it doesn't make a difference, as the sound is present either way. There are times when there is no squeaking noise, but it is so loud that people stare and it echoes off of walls, etc. Almost sounds like a squeaking bed when the deed is being done. Any suggestions as to what it could be? It is only on the drivers side and not the passengers.

Old 07-01-2015, 02:16 AM
Veteran Member
Received 2,166 Likes on 1,610 Posts

If it is regular and synchronises with the wheel rotation ... wheel bearing or
if you are lucky worn brake pads.

ps. someone will come along and suggest that you put your vehicle
details in your sig and also post an introduction in the new members forum.

Old 07-01-2015, 02:21 AM

Originally Posted by plums
If it is regular and synchronises with the wheel rotation ... wheel bearing or
if you are lucky worn brake pads.
I can't say that it necessarily syncs up with the wheel rotation because it isn't constant. It is an "intermittent" squeak / creak. Intermittent meaning it could do it then the next second it will be silent, but if I turn and put pressure onto the left side, it will come back again, etc.

Old 07-01-2015, 04:25 AM
Received 10,309 Likes on 6,819 Posts

Welcome.

As Plums said, brake pads, and by simply putting a SMALL amount of pressure will isolate it quick enough.

The half shafts on these cars have grease points on the 4 joints, and are 99.9% forgotten. Grease them, NO harm will come of the car for that, and it might just shut it up.

Worked on mine, and all the previous models as well.

Old 07-01-2015, 10:11 AM

Originally Posted by Grant Francis
Welcome.

As Plums said, brake pads, and by simply putting a SMALL amount of pressure will isolate it quick enough.

The half shafts on these cars have grease points on the 4 joints, and are 99.9% forgotten. Grease them, NO harm will come of the car for that, and it might just shut it up.

Worked on mine, and all the previous models as well.
Would using a silicone lubricant on the various joints and bushings eliminate the squeaking?

Old 07-01-2015, 09:04 PM

I would be removing the small rubber covers from the 4 grease nipples and applying some grease with a grease gun.

If that then fails to solve the noise, further diagnostic isolation would be be required. Simply spraying stuff around finds nothing conclusive.

The suspension bushes will squeak as the suspension moves through its travel arc, NOT as the car moves forward or backward. That sort of rotational noise is half shaft joints dry, brake pads dragging, hand brake shoes dragging, wheel bearings at a PUSH, coz wheel bearings usually "rumble" more than squeak.

Old 07-01-2015, 09:26 PM

Originally Posted by Grant Francis
I would be removing the small rubber covers from the 4 grease nipples and applying some grease with a grease gun.

If that then fails to solve the noise, further diagnostic isolation would be be required. Simply spraying stuff around finds nothing conclusive.

The suspension bushes will squeak as the suspension moves through its travel arc, NOT as the car moves forward or backward. That sort of rotational noise is half shaft joints dry, brake pads dragging, hand brake shoes dragging, wheel bearings at a PUSH, coz wheel bearings usually "rumble" more than squeak.
I have driven it around today to pay closer attention to what it does and when it does it. It indeed changes with speed (ie: squeak gets faster when car speeds up) HOWEVER it is in direct relation to giving the car gas. When the pedal is pressed and the car is speeding up, it will squeak. If I let off of the gas, squeak goes away!

Old 07-04-2015, 08:52 AM

OK, gotcha.

I am now leaning more toward the half shaft joints being dry, and the load of acceleration is doing the squeaking.

The propshaft on SOME of these has a grease point on the rear joint, and that would also be screaming out for some lube in my opinion.

Old 07-04-2015, 09:38 AM

Forgot to update this. I located the culprit...U joint closest to the wheel. I will be replacing both U joints on the drivers side. The one thats making the noise is rusted in some places on the outside and has some separation thats noticable when you move the wheel back and forth fast.

The following users liked this post:
RJ237 (07-04-2015)
Old 07-04-2015, 09:57 AM
GGG
Received 16,796 Likes on 12,166 Posts

Originally Posted by xjrjag
Forgot to update this. I located the culprit...U joint closest to the wheel ...........
Good to hear you've isolated the source.

I've moved your thread from General Tech Help to X308 forum.

Graham

Old 07-07-2015, 07:44 PM

Had both drivers rear U joints replaced today. No more squeaky squeaky...it eliminated some intermittent popping in the driveline that occured when shifting from park to drive or reverse as well.