XJ XJ8 / XJR ( X308 ) 1997 - 2003

A story of two keys...

Search this Thread

Old 07-31-2013, 12:39 AM
Received 11 Likes on 7 Posts
Default A story of two keys...

Ever since I've had my XJ8, which is about 2 1/2 months, the alarm would go off immediately whenever I unlocked the door with the key...until tonight. I want to say that it's because I tried an experiment by unlocking the door with the valet key, and everything worked since then. However, last night I took apart the door and much of the locking mechanism and sprayed with WD40. Prior to that I had disconnected the negative terminal on the battery (before you get too excited about that, I'll tell you that I've done at least half a dozen resets via the battery in the past 2 1/2 months). Unfortunately, I didn't try unlocking with a black-headed key before trying the valet key.

Anyway, I can now unlock and lock with the key, as well as perform global opening and global closing.

There's one more problem, which I probably know the answer to, but I'm hoping for a free solution. :-)

Though the valet key will unlock and lock the door, it will not start the car...which defeats the purpose of a valet key. I assume there is a chip of some sort in the key, and the car needs to be programmed to recognize the key. Unless there is some simpler, cheaper solution that I'm missing?

Here is a picture of one of my black keys and the valet key.

Attached Thumbnails A story of two keys...-keys.jpg  

Last edited by BillDJohnson; 07-31-2013 at 12:47 AM.
Old 07-31-2013, 01:20 AM
Received 20 Likes on 19 Posts
Wink

bill see other related thread....under tech help.......yes you should be able to start and drive the car with the valet key.....you just can't open the boot/trunk....once the valet button is pushed...you figured out what you need to do with the black key before using the green

the green and black keys look very different....but so do mine on my 2000xj8 base....I was also told at one point that there is a chip behind the plastic cover directly on the key.....who knows....one definite thing we both have to stop messing with the global o and c..... the function is over-rated.....let sleeping dogs lie. best wishes/bob.......

Old 07-31-2013, 01:42 AM
Received 11 Likes on 7 Posts

;-) Afraid I won't be able to stop using the global closing - I use it all the time. I frequently drive with the sunroof open and at least two of the windows down, and it sure is convenient when I'm about to park. As for the global opening...meh, we'll see :-)

In regard to the black vs. green keys, the very tip of the key and the color of the head are the only external differences. They are cut exactly the same with the exception of the tip. I imagine each one has some sort of RFID in the head, and the valet key has a different ID than my two black-headed keys.

Ah, well...I'll eventually get it all working how it should. :-)

Old 07-31-2013, 09:09 PM
Received 7,879 Likes on 4,763 Posts

Someone bought the Valet key and never had it configured to the car OR...................
Someone had the keys reprogrammed to the car and the Valet key was NOT PRESENT at the time.

(ALL KEYS NOT PRESENT AT THE TIME OF CONFIGURATION WILL BE DELETED!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!)

Been there, done that HUNDREDS OF TIMES and customers are always angry that the key at home doesn't work anymore!!!!!!!!!!!!

bob gauff