XJ XJ8 / XJR ( X308 ) 1997 - 2003

STR with 1638/1642......Yack!!

Search this Thread

Old 03-28-2019, 05:09 PM
Received 46 Likes on 19 Posts
Default STR with 1638/1642......Yack!!

Yep, I too have fallen into what is sounding like a LARGE BLACK hole known as OBD2 code 1638 & 1642.

From what I've read here I've not seen one definitive identification, diagnosis, or solution to what brings up these two codes. Member NBCat has been a HUGE help to me in the past and via his suggestions on how to 'potentially' diagnose the 'situation' we've narrowed it down to the dash functions are no longer communicating with the CAN. Results? all electrical functions work except power to the starter. Bummer. Ran great on Sunday, didn't drive on Monday....dead on Tuesday a.m. One year old from new battery fully charged (via charger for several hours) as a precaution, head lights on for 2 min. then off....12.65 to 13.4 amps No start. Disconnect +/- poles then put them together for 10 + seconds to reset the computer......no start...same codes.

I've so enjoyed my STR experience for the last 45K miles and 5 years and that being said if these codes end up requiring Sherlock Holmes and Dr. Watson attention accompanied with $1,000.00$ of U.S.D. then, as they said in 'The Sound of Music' ....."Farewell, So Long, Alfeterzen, Good by" Some one can end up with a wonderfully maintained 03 STR with all 100K maintenance including the obscure for a very, very, very fair 'Fire Sale' amount of shekels.

Love to save it....any real life ideas and or cost? Love good news, can deal with bad news, hate 'Bravo Sierra'

Thank you fellow members!

03 STR
00 S type 3.0L

Old 03-28-2019, 06:26 PM
Veteran Member
Received 4,483 Likes on 3,901 Posts

Er... looks like you tacked on to an 8 yr old long-dead thread for an extremely different car!!

Try the correct forum...

Old 03-28-2019, 11:30 PM
Received 12,726 Likes on 6,374 Posts

Hi m.w.l.,

Here are the definitions and possible causes of P1638 and P1642 from the DTC Summaries guide:

You can download the DTC Summaries guide here:

Jaguar S-Type Powertrain DTC Summaries 2003

Since these codes represent problems with the CAN, you almost certainly also have Network (U-prefix) DTCs flagged, but most generic OBDII scan tools cannot read these proprietary Jaguar codes. It may help narrow down your diagnosis if you can find a local shop with a diagnostic system capable of reading the U- codes, such as Jaguar Land Rover System Driven Diagnostics (SDD), AutoEnginuity with the Jaguar enhancement, an Autel MaxiSys (my MaxiSys Elite reads all the Jaguar codes), or possibly a higher-end Launch or SnapOn scan tool. You can download the Network DTC Summaries here:

Jaguar S-Type Network DTC Summaries 2002.5

Since the common theme for both of the codes you have been able to scan is a short circuit in the CAN wiring, in particular a short between the Instrument Cluster (IC) and Engine Control Module (ECM), you could try inspecting as much of that wiring as you can see for pinching or other damage, and disconnecting any connectors you find, flushing them with zero-residue electronic cleaner, allowing them to dry or drying them with compressed air, then reconnecting them securely.

The CAN wires are usually easy to identify because they are twisted pairs of one Yellow and one Green wire. You can see the schematic of the network in Figure 20.1 on pdf page 147 of the Electrical Guide, which you can download here:

Jaguar S-Type Electrical Guide 2003

Between between the IC and ECM, the network passes through the J-Gate and the Dynamic Stability Control Module and four electrical connectors. The location of each of these components is given on pdf page 146.

Given that your starter will not turn, my first guess would be a problem with the Park/Neutral switch in the J-Gate, since that switch inhibits the starter if one of those two gear positions is not selected. Have you tried starting with the gear selector in Neutral? Have you tried jiggling the gearshift lever in the Park position to be sure it is fully seated?

Assuming your 2003 has the ZF 6HP26 6-speed transmission, a common problem is that the two screws that secure the gearshift cable bracket to the left side of the gearbox tend to loosen over time and can even fall out, which leads to problems selecting the correct gear position, including Park and Neutral, so it might be worth checking those screws.

Please keep us informed.

Cheers,

Don

Last edited by Don B; 03-28-2019 at 11:32 PM.
Old 03-29-2019, 10:06 AM
Received 46 Likes on 19 Posts

Hello Don, Thank you for the info. I'll give all of your suggestions a 'go' and see where they lead. I replaced the J gate with a factory fresh on 30K ago. I'll jack 'er' up and have a loot at those 8mm bolts, it's been a while since I checked them. I usually have a look at them with every oil change. I'll also run down the wires for a visual inspection and potential connection cleaning.

Thank you again for your very defined help and suggestions.

M.L.

03 STR

00 S type 3.0L