XJ XJ8 / XJR ( X308 ) 1997 - 2003

Supercharger Coolant Pump

Old 04-06-2018, 11:36 AM
Received 53 Likes on 39 Posts

Originally Posted by yeldogt
Have rebuilt the MB units (brushes) ..... have also switched out the motors. The heads are the same on many units .... they have different motors. I'm not versed on the Hella pumps. I thought the HVAC pump was a Denso.

Back when I was rehabbing cars -- the pumps were always a "take while I can item" regardless of model.

Old 04-19-2018, 01:01 AM
Received 49 Likes on 28 Posts

An update on my Supercharger Coolant Pump.

I ordered the Bosch pump and the Mercedes connector parts about two weeks ago. Earlier this week I had a go at this job.

First thing is to take the electric fans and shroud off. The official Jaguar procedure tells you need to take the fans out of the shroud and then take the shroud off. But you can take the whole assembly out in one go.

Removing the pump is a bit fiddly as it’s not easy to get at, even with the fan/shroud assembly removed. I also took the air filter off to get better access.

Supercharger Coolant Pump-p4173633.jpg

The official Jaguar procedure calls for clamping off the hoses and putting plugs in. I got myself some Taiwanese hose clamps and a broomstick. Saw two pieces off, perfect fit!

Supercharger Coolant Pump-p4173640.jpg

In all I lost probably less than 200ml of coolant replacing the pump, so not bad at all.

I kept the original bracket holding the pump in place on the base plate and modified it a bit:

Supercharger Coolant Pump-p4173644.jpg

Getting the Mercedes Connector fitted was a fiddly job and it took me quite some time before it was done properly.

When I was putting everything back I buggered one of the original Grommets holding the base plate against the inside of the wheel well. I had a bit of experience with these as I had replaced them before. I buy my parts usually from Jaguar or Barrat SNG and I found out they have the wrong part number.

The original part number for this grommet is CAC6426, Most part catalogue show it being replaced with CBC8262. However, that is a totally different kind of grommet. Won’t fit at all. You want C2C16681.

Supercharger Coolant Pump-p4183657.jpg

Obviously, had to take the old pump apart. But unless you cut it open there is not much that you can see. Just for the purist, if you want to get the original pump. It is Hella PA66-6F25. They retail for about $125 on Ebay. Barrat/Jaguar charges you a whopping $450 for this very same pump.

Supercharger Coolant Pump-p4183672.jpg

As I had lost hardly any coolant during the pump swap, purging the coolant system wasn’t a big thing (other than you need to make sure you have that 19mm Allen, which is not a size you will find in your typical set of Allen Keys). I did study the official Jaguar purge procedure, but I found it very confusing. Still, everything looks and sounds good again.

Thanks everybody for your advice and suggestions, it was very helpful

Jeroen

The following 4 users liked this post by Jeroen:
Coventrywood (04-19-2018), Don B (04-19-2018), neurojag (04-19-2018), yeldogt (04-19-2018)
Old 04-19-2018, 09:04 AM
Veteran Member
Received 842 Likes on 592 Posts

Originally Posted by Jeroen
I kept the original bracket holding the pump in place on the base plate and modified it a bit
Great job with the bracket. Just make sure that the vertical "J" hose is not too near the alternator pulley (since the bigger pump is a bit further out). I put a rubber lined clamp somewhere half way up on the vertical hose and tied it to the body (under the air filter box). I also used a cable tie to strap the "U" part of the "J" hose to the pipe going to the steering fluid cooler to prevent the bottom of the pump from swinging too much towards the alternator - the pump is heavier than the original and, since it is hanging on two flexible rubber grommets at the top, it can swing quite a bit.

By the way, PA66-GF25 (not "6F25") is the code for the type of nylon resin used to cast the body of the pump, not a Hella number.

The following users liked this post:
Coventrywood (04-19-2018)
Old 04-19-2018, 09:09 AM

Originally Posted by M. Stojanovic
. Just make sure that the vertical "J" hose is not too near the alternator pulley (since the bigger pump is a bit further out). I put a rubber lined clamp somewhere half way up on the vertical hose and tied it to the body (under the air filter box). I also used a cable tie to strap the "U" part of the "J" hose to the pipe going to the steering fluid cooler to prevent the bottom of the pump from swinging too much towards the alternator - the pump is heavier than the original and, since it is hanging on two flexible rubber grommets at the top, it can swing quite a bit.

By the way, PA66-GF25 (not "6F25") is the code for the type of nylon resin used to cast the body of the pump, not a Hella number.
thanks.
Yes I had to carefully position the hoses on the pump to make sure they did not touch anywhere. I’ll have another look.

Thanks for noting the error in the part number. Funnily enough I googled on Hella PA66-GF25 and you get multiple hits for this very same pump!

Jeroen

Old 04-19-2018, 11:27 AM
Veteran Member
Received 342 Likes on 296 Posts

For reference; Was the Hella part number on the pump. Using the cross reference it's coming up for a BMW ....

It was my understanding that the HVAC pump was different from the Hella intercooler pump on the R -- Since the HVAC is Denso -- would be interesting to know.

Old 04-19-2018, 11:39 AM

For reference; Was the Hella part number on the pump. Using the cross reference it's coming up for a BMW ....

It was my understanding that the HVAC pump was different from the Hella intercooler pump on the R -- Since the HVAC is Denso -- would be interesting to know.
Sorry, I’m not quite sure what your question is?

The number in my earlier post is wrong for two reasons: It is a number that is stencilled on the body of the motor. See M. Stojanovic earlier post. The number is PA66-GF25. As pointed out this is a cast number not a Hella number.

However, when I google PA66-GF25 lots of pumps images and advertisement come up.

This one seems to come closest:

Amazon Amazon

Stating It certainly looks like the one that came out of my XJR. Lots of Denso bits on these Jaguars though too!

Jeroen

Old 04-20-2018, 09:24 AM
Veteran Member

Sorry, I’m not quite sure what your question is?

The number in my earlier post is wrong for two reasons: It is a number that is stencilled on the body of the motor. See M. Stojanovic earlier post. The number is PA66-GF25. As pointed out this is a cast number not a Hella number.

However, when I google PA66-GF25 lots of pumps images and advertisement come up.

https://www.amazon.com/HELLA-H817550.../dp/B000VUED7A

Stating

It certainly looks like the one that came out of my XJR. Lots of Denso bits on these Jaguars though too!

Jeroen

I was trying to understand if there was a Hella part number on the pump ... typically Hella has a number. Obviously with the number you can obtain the correct pump ... it still may mount differently and not have the Jag connector.

Old 04-20-2018, 09:42 AM
Veteran Member

https://www.amazon.com/HELLA-H817550.../dp/B000VUED7A

It certainly looks like the one that came out of my XJR.
Probably every Hella pump that is made of the same type of plastic carries the number "PA66-GF25" and sellers wrongly take it as a Hella number and put it in their adverts.

The Jaguar supercharger Hella pump has much bigger "head" (the pump section) than the one shown on Amazon and probably has more powerful motor. I looked through pictures of Hella pumps on the internet but could not see any that looked similar to the Jaguar one, i.e. one that has a much "fatter" pump section than the motor. Looks like the Jaguar pump was custom made by Hella only for Jaguar, considerably more powerful than the standard Hella pumps which seem to be mainly for the heater circuit.

Old 04-20-2018, 12:29 PM

I was trying to understand if there was a Hella part number on the pump ... typically Hella has a number. Obviously with the number you can obtain the correct pump ... it still may mount differently and not have the Jag connector.
I had another good look at the pump and it does have another number on it:

PPS-GF40/MF25

Supercharger Coolant Pump-p4203676.jpg

Old 04-21-2018, 02:01 AM
Veteran Member

I had another good look at the pump and it does have another number on it:

PPS-GF40/MF25
PPS - Polyphenylene Sulfide (high-performance thermoplastic)

GF - Glass Filled (plastic)

MF - Mineral Filled (plastic)

Old 04-21-2018, 08:27 AM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by M. Stojanovic
Probably every Hella pump that is made of the same type of plastic carries the number "PA66-GF25" and sellers wrongly take it as a Hella number and put it in their adverts.

The Jaguar supercharger Hella pump has much bigger "head" (the pump section) than the one shown on Amazon and probably has more powerful motor. I looked through pictures of Hella pumps on the internet but could not see any that looked similar to the Jaguar one, i.e. one that has a much "fatter" pump section than the motor. Looks like the Jaguar pump was custom made by Hella only for Jaguar, considerably more powerful than the standard Hella pumps which seem to be mainly for the heater circuit.
Too bad .. as the Jaguar only pump is very dear. Not sure if there was another supercharged car being produced at the time ... so the SC circuit pump in the X308 may very well be special to the vehicle. I never owned a X300 R ... so I don't know how that cars system works.

Old 06-07-2018, 09:35 PM
Received 193 Likes on 169 Posts

Just a note on the 19mm hex I used an old wheel nut (19mm) and then a socket to remove the bleed screw on the charge cooler. Just need to be careful that you do not slip

The following users liked this post:
Jeroen (06-07-2018)
Old 06-08-2018, 10:25 AM
Received 258 Likes on 210 Posts

Originally Posted by Robman25
Just a note on the 19mm hex I used an old wheel nut (19mm) and then a socket to remove the bleed screw on the charge cooler. Just need to be careful that you do not slip
Good thinking. I just sent someone on a run to get a bolt for me when I needed it but had I not had a runner, I probably would've been stuck - wouldn't have occurred to me to try that!

Old 10-12-2019, 09:35 PM
Received 23 Likes on 12 Posts

Anyone have a direct link to the pump, I type in the Bosch part number and pumps ending with 004 comes up not 010?

Old 10-12-2019, 09:52 PM
Veteran Member
Old 10-12-2019, 10:11 PM
Received 23 Likes on 12 Posts

Awesome, thank you!