XJ XJ8 / XJR ( X308 ) 1997 - 2003

Temporary-ish Hitch thinking?

Search this Thread

Old 03-06-2016, 12:48 PM
Received 258 Likes on 210 Posts
Default Temporary-ish Hitch thinking?

Ok, so I know I'll likely be lynched for even asking such a thought, but hear me out, and then criticize away (or offer other opinions also, up to you).

I currently have an '03 XJR, US model. Now I've looked up what I could, and I've found basically two options for fitting a trailer hitch (or tow bar as I've also seen it called - though when I think tow-bar, I'm thinking the bar that one would hook to the front end of the car to allow to be towed behind a truck, but that's neither here nor there). One option is the factory version which is a removable gooseneck style, if I'm not mistaken. It does require removing the bumper and other things I believe.

The other style is this one:

Jaguar Vanden Plas, Jaguar XJ6, XJ8, XJ8L, XJ12, XJR Trailer Hitch - Class I - By Curt Manufacturing | HitchSource.com

Multiple sites sell the same version of this. Now, once upon a time, I found an installation manual for that style, I just have to track it down again. I'd likely build my own versus spending 2-300 dollars for what looks to be a few bucks in steel and some weld time. But this style doesn't require removing anything off the car.

Then, I came across a video for one for an XK.

This is a totally different style, that looks as if it actually bolts through the spare tire well on the car. Now I realize we're talking two completely different vehicles. But this is where I got curious, and the reason I'm even asking.

I'm going to be taking a trip, and in doing so, will be looking to grab a small sailboat on the way back through. We're talking a total combined trailer+boat weight of 500 lbs tops, and a tongue weight of probably 50, 75 at the most. This will be towed almost entirely back on the highway, no crazy up and down hills and through the twisty turns. And would be for just the return trip (we're talking about 600 miles, give or take).

Would it be crazy to contemplate a trailer hitch of the XK style where it's a H-shape and thru-bolted just through the spare tire well? Bearing in mind that I'd have it on for this trip, then remove, and seal the holes back up and call it good. Or, do I go for the "normal" XJ style (option 2) above, which still requires holes, but is the more preferred mounting?

My thinking is that obviously that would be the better way to go, simply because that'll be the strongest option as far as a hitch goes, even if I don't plan on leaving it mounted. But there's also a part of me that says well, I only need a fraction of that strength, and surely the alternative mounting would be easier to build, and just as removable, easier to mount, and would do the job, right?

So while I'm sure I'll end up doing it the right way, are there any practical reasons why the other wouldn't work for my usage?

Let the flogging begin.

Old 03-06-2016, 04:53 PM
Received 43 Likes on 32 Posts

What you are proposing isn't too outlandish given the trailer weight. You would also have to wire up lights. Assuming the boat is narrow, mirrors should not be a problem. I guess I cringe at the thought for doing for a one time thing. I'd rent a SUV/truck with a trailer hitch. Time it right and car rentals can be downright cheap. I rented a full size for a week, put 1600 miles on it and the rental was less than $200.

I'll take the opportunity to admit I considered towing my race car with my '03 XJR. More than enough horsepower and brakes, but not nearly enough GVWR for a 3000 lb BMW on a 1500 lb trailer. Ended up buying a 1/2 ton truck for that. Given how hard the truck works, the Jag wouldn't have done well. It would have looked cool, though.

-Mike

Old 03-06-2016, 05:16 PM
Veteran Member
Received 416 Likes on 316 Posts

I've installed the Curt on two X308s now, and would really recommend doing the same. It's solid, safe, and designed for the job. Why install a hitch and then remove it again? They're so handy, even if it's just for a bike rack.

There's another issue, which took me longer to sort out than the hitch installation. The wiring. The Jag has separate brake and indicator lights, so you need a converter box. I used Curt 59146. The handy thing about the X308 is that the battery is in the trunk, so very convenient to take a power feed for the box.

It took me hours to wire in the hitch, doing a proper, tidy job, and nothing could persuade me to take it out again.

Here's the XJ8 preparing to launch the boat. Nice combination! Classic British car and classic British boat.

Last edited by Mark SF; 03-06-2016 at 05:19 PM.
Old 03-06-2016, 05:21 PM

I would normally agree with you on that, and I've actually been keeping my out for a used truck specifically for that purpose too. Without the huge backstory, I figure one thing is the debatable cost of the rental versus not. Obviously renting a car costs a few bucks. But one could say the "risk" to my own having something fail on the trip could also cost that or more. But, I've made this trip before also in the XJR, and had zero issues then, and I figure any issues that come up, are going to come up anyway. It's just a matter of where it happens. But at the same time, the boats I'm looking for, I haven't found any local at ALL, and then the trip is coming up and I found a couple possibilities along the way, so the timing is there. So it's a slight time crunch but I'm also trying to conserve a little extra cash to account for any issues that do come up, so a rental would bite into that a little.

Still spit-balling, but I'm thinking that I could probably weld up a version of the "correct" mount just as easily as the alternative. And, at least then the holes would be out of sight instead of in the tire well. Maybe a modified design to make it removable. Dunno.

Old 03-06-2016, 06:37 PM

That looks like basically what I'm aiming for, but I don't know about leaving the hitch there. I guess I'll have to see how visible the hitch is when I get it done, just a matter of how much it shows. Part of me says I shouldn't care once it's there unless I'm staring at it all the time, the other part of me says "why leave it on the fancy car?"

But I do think the Curt design is going to be fine, but like I said, pretty sure we can weld up the same design for a lot less than the cost of one purchased. But pretty sure that's the style I'll go with. I think.

Old 03-11-2016, 10:38 AM

Ended up just ordering the Curt hitch from JC Whitney with a coupon as I had seen suggested on another post, and the wiring converter for the harness. Should be here next week, and then I'll measure it up, and make a note of all the measurements for anyone in the future that might want to duplicate it, and likely do a small video on the install.

Last edited by CharlzO; 03-11-2016 at 10:12 PM.
Old 11-02-2016, 06:22 PM
Received 121 Likes on 89 Posts

Hello everyone... I am also toying with idea of installing trailer hitch. Hope someone can help with questions about wiring:

Our cars come with convenient yellow trailer connector that is hanging next to SLCM module. Connector(which is a female BT32) seem to have everything wired into it. It also has a 'placeholder' male connector plugged into it, which is simply a 'plug/cork' with four pins in it.

Logically, I assume jaguar has a harness/converter that connects into 'female' BT32 on one side(after removing 'placeholder') and has a trailer compatible socket(that would hang next to the hitch) on another side.

So few questions about it...

If that thing exist - what part that harness/converter is? Is there one for the US trailers?

That BT32 male connector - is it a standard connector that can it be ordered from some electronic parts store(so I can create my own harness/adaptor)

Thank you!

Old 11-03-2016, 04:26 AM
Veteran Member
Received 470 Likes on 352 Posts

The official Jaguar Factory detachable Towbar made by Brink is a very rare thing, and I have one spare. It's always recommended that you fit the proper equipment when it comes to towing because the consequences of towing with a "home made" towbar are nothing short of heartbreaking.
The factory trailer module is a difficult thing to find information on, however I also have that too. It is a 13 pin connector with only 12 of the pins used. It's main purpose is to take some of the strain off the main harness via relays, but there is also a switch in the trailer plug that tells the car the trailer is present. This in turn makes the indicators "tick" twice as fast so you know the trailer lights are working and to disable off the rear fog lights on the car when the trailer/caravan is hitched up.
There is a post on the forum somewhere where someone has explained and outlined what you need to do when wiring up the trailer plug to the car without the factory harness.

My old XJ towing a Ford Capri MK2 for a friend. Neither car is with us any longer.

Last edited by Stu 1986; 11-03-2016 at 04:28 AM.
Old 11-03-2016, 08:21 AM

I used an aftermarket wiring module for mine, it just outputs to a standard 4-pin trailer plug, and works flawless. There's a long enough lead on it, that everything is tucked away in the spare tire well, and I only feed it out the trunk when I'm using it (which was like, 3 times). I found it easier to just tap into the factory lighting wires and solder in the module. Well, cheaper, if not easier. I used:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Curt midel 56146, and for under $20 bucks, totally worth it. The wiring I found in another post here, just searching trailer wiring, I believe.

Old 11-03-2016, 09:03 AM

Originally Posted by Stu 1986
The official Jaguar Factory detachable Towbar made by Brink is a very rare thing, and I have one spare. It's always recommended that you fit the proper equipment when it comes to towing because the consequences of towing with a "home made" towbar are nothing short of heartbreaking.
The factory trailer module is a difficult thing to find information on, however I also have that too. It is a 13 pin connector with only 12 of the pins used. It's main purpose is to take some of the strain off the main harness via relays, but there is also a switch in the trailer plug that tells the car the trailer is present. This in turn makes the indicators "tick" twice as fast so you know the trailer lights are working and to disable off the rear fog lights on the car when the trailer/caravan is hitched up.
There is a post on the forum somewhere where someone has explained and outlined what you need to do when wiring up the trailer plug to the car without the factory harness.
Thank you. For the hitch I am not even thinking of anything 'home made' :-) , my plan is to get one of these: https://www.amazon.com/118181-Class-...cm_wl_huc_item The instructions said 30min to install for pro, and 60min for DIY.

For the wiring - the one by curt(Thank you CharlzO) looks good, but it would require splicing. If I can just find that male connector that plugs into yellow 'female' - it would make it much nicer/easier solution.

By the way, Stu... the spare and trailer module you have - are they up for grabs? :-)

Thanks.

Old 11-03-2016, 09:11 AM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by NJ2003XJ8
By the way, Stu... the spare and trailer module you have - are they up for grabs? :-)

Thanks.
The issue is I am in the UK and the cost of shipping them would be astronomical, the towbar unit by itself weighs the same as two wheels and tyres at least. Here's a photo I have of a factory towbar, it is for an X300 but couples to the car in the same way as the 308. What I have done is edited out the X300 wiring module as it in no way resembles the X308 one. I have also included a set of fitting instructions which may be of use to you.

Attached Thumbnails Temporary-ish Hitch thinking?-x300-towbar-2.jpg   Temporary-ish Hitch thinking?-tow-bar-fitting.jpg  
Old 11-03-2016, 10:27 AM

Interesting...

Curt instructions say Up to 2,000 lbs GTW & 200 lbs TW

Brink instructions say 1900kg GTW and 75kg TW, which is about 4100lbs GTW and 165lbs TW - twice the towing capacity!

As much as I like yours, you are right... I would need to 'tow' this towbar to US.

Thank you for the info! I am sure someone from UK will reach to you for these rarities.

Anyone in US has Brink's towbar for sale? :-)

Cheers!

Old 11-04-2016, 06:37 AM
Veteran Member

Here's a photo of the official weights plate that is fitted to the towbar. It doesn't give much information, but it's interesting to see.

Old 11-04-2016, 08:07 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,352 Likes on 927 Posts

Originally Posted by Stu 1986
The issue is I am in the UK and the cost of shipping them would be astronomical
Stu, I helped a friend to buy an hitch for a CLK320 last month, and I ended up in the UK.
To my surprise, the shipping price to Taiwan was just Usd. 135, not cheap, but also not crazy money.
Of course the USA is an other direction, but u might give it a try.

Old 11-04-2016, 08:59 AM

Originally Posted by NJ2003XJ8
Thank you. For the hitch I am not even thinking of anything 'home made' :-) , my plan is to get one of these: https://www.amazon.com/118181-Class-...cm_wl_huc_item The instructions said 30min to install for pro, and 60min for DIY.
The time estimates are pretty much on. It's a lot easier if you have a 2nd pair of hands to help hold it in place, but could be done with a jack and a block of wood to hold it up. And there's the funky nut on a stick thing that goes on the right side, that takes a little fiddling with to get to line up. But I'd say it's pretty spot on with the estimates. My step-dad helped me do mine, and I'd say it was a little under an hour, most of which was just triple-checking where it was mounting, and taking our time. Doing it again, certainly would cut the time down. It really wasn't too bad. Just don't forget to pick up some sealant for around the mounting holes