XJ XJ8 / XJR ( X308 ) 1997 - 2003

Ultragauge verses Ultragauge Blue?

Search this Thread

Old 10-16-2015, 06:40 PM
Veteran Member
Received 370 Likes on 254 Posts
Default Ultragauge verses Ultragauge Blue?

I went to order the Ultragauge I have been planning to buy for my car and noticed there appears to be two (2) options available now. I don't recall the "Blue" version being available the last time I checked the site, but it's clearly available now.

I was wondering if anyone had an opinion regarding which one is best. The cost difference is insignificant, so I want to get the one that offers the best vehicle monitoring option.

This is where I am shopping for them...

UltraGauge OBDII Scan tool & Information Center

Thanks,
Jeff

Old 10-16-2015, 07:14 PM
Veteran Member
Received 2,782 Likes on 2,226 Posts

The blue is for wireless adapter for android or apple.

Old 10-16-2015, 07:20 PM
Veteran Member

I understand the basic operational difference between the two items. One has a dedicated display and the other transmits to a mobile device.

I just wondered if, in practical terms, one type offers more options/advantages than the other. The Blue versions "seems" to offer more, but is there a downside?

Perhaps someone on here has used the "Blue" version and could provide a brief review?

Edit -- Ok, so it is a pretty new product meaning its possible I won't get a user review any time soon. I will embrace the pioneer spirit and take a chance on this product. I just placed the order for the Ultragauge Blue. I should get it towards the end of next week. After I've had it a few days I'll provide a review on this thread to either encourage or discourage other forum members with regard to purchasing one.

Last edited by harvest14; 10-16-2015 at 08:41 PM.
Old 10-22-2015, 11:11 AM
Veteran Member
Default First impressions...

The Ultra-Gauge Blue is up and running, however I would not call it "plug-n-play". For the tech savvy it will be no problem, and with a little persistence anyone can get it working, but downloading the app and getting connected took more than a few minutes. The tech-support from Ultra-Gauge however responded very quickly and politely.

I have set up a few screens of gauges and done a few miles of test driving to get some readings. Since I recently cleaned the MAF sensor I did a hard reset before hooking the Ultra-Gauge to the car.

Coolant temperature fluctuates between 194 F and about 204 F, which I guess is ok?

Here is my concern. I have downloaded some PDF documents that are teaching me how to understand fuel trims, and plan to study them. However, the readings I got worry me and since I'm leaving for work and have no time to research until tomorrow night I was HOPING someone would provide some quick feedback as to what my readings are telling me.

After driving maybe 15 miles at varying speeds my LTFT were usually between -20 and -26. The STFT fluctuated between -4 and -36. When I was accelerating the STFT was in the -4 area and when coasting or idling it was between -14 and -36. The LTFT set itself at about -14 one time, but that was during a time of harder driving. When I was cruising back through town it reset again in the mid 20s.

Anyone who has read my posts knows I'm a researcher by nature, but I am very anxious to understand these results and won't have time to study fuel trims until tomorrow night, which right now seems like an eternity.

Thanks for any feedback.

Jeff

Also- The oxygen sensor voltages were a steady 1 and the other oxygen sensor gauge reading (lambda?) was also a steady 1, for both sensors.

So, on my way to work the long term fuel trim steadied around 22, short term again all over the place. I did notice that each O2 sensor would occasionally drop from 1 volt down to zero, with an accompanying jump in short term fuel trim.

Last edited by harvest14; 10-22-2015 at 12:35 PM.
The following users liked this post:
schraderade (07-17-2016)