Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Buying a pre-owned F-type R Coupe as my daily driver... a few questions

Search this Thread

Old 10-10-2015, 09:18 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Buying a pre-owned F-type R Coupe as my daily driver... a few questions

Hey Team,

I am considering buying a 2015 CPO F-type R coupe and I have a few questions for the current owners - would appreciate your input.

(1) The Jaguar engineers decided to put AWD on all 2016 R type coupes - because it seems like AWD adds a major benefit in terms of high-speed handling. Are there any 2015 owners who really wish they had AWD or does the car handle just fine.

(2) I'll be using the F-type as my daily driver and I believe the "competition seats" come standard on this model. Are these seats comfortable for driving on a daily basis? I typically drive 10-15 minutes to work and every now and then I like to take 2-4 hour road trips w/ my girlfriend on the weekends.

Thanks in advance!

Josh

Old 10-10-2015, 09:28 PM
Veteran Member
Received 259 Likes on 205 Posts

We have the 2015 R and the seats are really good.. anyone that has gone on a trip with me has found them very comfortable... but, try it out yourself to see how it feels for 10-15 minutes to reassure yourself.
The car handles beautifully for everyday VERY spirited driving.
If you live in a real winter area, then you need full snow tires, and it does well up to about 4 inches of snow.
Lawrence.

Old 10-11-2015, 03:28 AM
Veteran Member
Received 337 Likes on 212 Posts

In Europe you can still have the 2016 model with RWD, and I would have chosen that again if I was buying one now (and I have driven the AWD on a track, but still preferes the RWD that I have).

I am also very happy with the seats, and my longest trip has been 1.100 km / 12 hours with only refueling stops. That was no problem at all, and I found them just as comfortable as I did with the comfort seats in my previous Touareg.

Old 10-11-2015, 04:25 AM
Received 270 Likes on 148 Posts

Daily drive a Coupe R RWD. AWD isn't needed for every day driving and I've yet to see its actual benefit on a track. I personally drive pretty hard in curvy, tight canyons and I can go faster through the corners than I could in my AWD TT-RS. I think the only real benefit is for those that want to drive in inclement weather and have a bit more confidence that they'll stay on the road.

I'm mixed on the seats. I'm 6'3". For short periods I find them just fine. For longer trips my lower back gets cramps. I have to adjust the seats multiple times for those 1 hr plus drives.

With a few flaws, I still love the car and it is rolling art worth owning. So go for it!

Old 10-11-2015, 05:45 AM
Received 31 Likes on 10 Posts

I love the car whether its RWD or AWD. I've had my share of both AWD and RWD high horsepower monsters and I am fine either way. With RWD you just have to be much more aware of what you are doing with the throttle. AWD can give you over-confidence which isnt good, RWD keeps you slightly afraid to get on it which I like. The only car I've ever wrecked was AWD and I lost it going around a corner lol.

Old 10-11-2015, 09:07 AM
Veteran Member
Received 4,637 Likes on 3,359 Posts

The F-Type is more of a daily driver than any other car I've had. If you aren't more than 6'-4" and wider than a billboard, you can drive for hours without fatigue. If your S.O. is a delicate flower then she might find the center seams on the performance seat annoying, but that can be easily handled with a thin gel pad. Conformax Standard Car Seat Back Gel Cushion | eBay

Old 10-11-2015, 09:45 AM
Veteran Member
Received 640 Likes on 410 Posts

RWD and AWD are both fine cars. People are going to have strong opinions one way or the other here so its best to drive both and get your own opinion, rather than listen to us.

The following 2 users liked this post by Stohlen:
Foosh (10-11-2015), TXJagR (10-11-2015)
Old 10-11-2015, 01:02 PM

Thanks everyone - really helpful advice. Right now I'm deciding between a 2013 CPO 911 Carrera S and a 2015 CPO Jaguar F type R - both are amazing cars so it's a tough call. I'll drive both and figure it out... definitely first world problems!

Old 10-11-2015, 06:16 PM

I just read a few reviews of the Jaguar F type R's competition seats that said they are "as comfortable as a wooden seat at Fenway park" and "it's not a grand tourer." Are these fair assessments? I was under the impression that Jaguar is targeting this vehicle as a sporty grand tourer. It's certainly not a race car like a Porsche GT3.

Old 10-11-2015, 06:31 PM
Received 59 Likes on 49 Posts

Originally Posted by JoshuaKM1
I just read a few reviews of the Jaguar F type R's competition seats that said they are "as comfortable as a wooden seat at Fenway park" and "it's not a grand tourer." Are these fair assessments? I was under the impression that Jaguar is targeting this vehicle as a sporty grand tourer. It's certainly not a race car like a Porsche GT3.
That is a bit of an overstatement. Yes the seats are a bit firm, but they're still plenty comfortable if you're not too large to fit into them properly. I've done a 4 hour trip in the car with my wife and neither of us had any issues.

I see the F-Type as a luxury sports car, not a touring car, and definitely not a track car that has been adapted for the street.

Old 10-11-2015, 07:03 PM
Received 172 Likes on 124 Posts

Originally Posted by JoshuaKM1
That's just crap, they are firm but they are quite comfortable, I do regular 3 hour drives and they are fine.

Old 10-11-2015, 07:14 PM
Veteran Member
Received 293 Likes on 233 Posts

Originally Posted by AnD3rew
That's just crap, they are firm but they are quite comfortable, I do regular 3 hour drives and they are fine.
Agreed. 3 hours in the F-Type and it's time to stop and stretch the legs. No fault of the seats though. If I had 3 more inches of legroom it might be perfect. I'm 6' 3" 210 lbs, and I thoroughly enjoy travelling in it.

Old 10-11-2015, 07:27 PM
Veteran Member
Received 4,637 Likes on 3,359 Posts

Edit: Already weighed in on this one. Great seats!

Last edited by Unhingd; 10-11-2015 at 07:31 PM.
Old 10-12-2015, 10:57 AM
Received 123 Likes on 99 Posts

Originally Posted by AnD3rew
I daily drive my R coupe as well - about 10 miles each way, depending on the day, traffic it can be 15minutes to 2 hours. I have no issues with the seats and find them quite comfortable.

It seems that if you're 6ish or taller is where the issues start to creep in?

Old 10-12-2015, 12:34 PM
Received 59 Likes on 49 Posts

Originally Posted by ShaunPA
I daily drive my R coupe as well - about 10 miles each way, depending on the day, traffic it can be 15minutes to 2 hours. I have no issues with the seats and find them quite comfortable.

It seems that if you're 6ish or taller is where the issues start to creep in?
I think it depends on the individual and whether they can find the right seat setting that works for them. TxJagR is 6'3" and he claims no issues just a few responses before this one.

I have seen complaints from other people claiming comfort issues with extended drives. However, from what I recall those complaints were usually tied more to legroom issues (for tall people) and seat adjustability limits rather than to the seat materials.

If you are really concerned about this, the only way to really tell is to take an extended test drive and see how things feel after 30+ minutes. Just make sure to properly adjust the seat before the drive.

Old 10-12-2015, 01:18 PM
Received 270 Likes on 148 Posts

Yeah I don't have a problem with the seat material or cushiness. It is the lumbar support that gives me the ache. Because I'm tall I need to have the seat all the way down which limits the angle in which you can move the lumbar support. It's a problem not limited to the F-Type. Pretty much any 2 seater I've been in requires the seat on the ground which means I can't angle the lower cushion forward.

Old 10-12-2015, 01:45 PM
Received 51 Likes on 31 Posts

1. I have no experience with the AWD R but most I've heard from prefer the RWD.

2. I will admit the seats are shockingly stiff and take some getting use to. The first few times I drove mine for extended periods of time they would hurt my back. Now my body seems to be use to it but IMO they were not built for comfort. Honestly I've never sat in any other car that had seats this stiff. Like some others said you might want to see if you can test drive it for an extended period of time to see what you think.

Old 10-12-2015, 03:13 PM

I have a 2015 R coupe for a daily driver and have never missed AWD. The car handles beautifully and I've never had a problem with a loose rear end (although I don't drive it in the winter).

I'm also 6'2" and 190 pounds and I find the seats just fine. Takes a bit to play with the seat settings because there are so many possible configurations but once you get it dialed in, you should be fine. My daily commute is 30 minutes each way and in the R, it goes by quickly (and comfortably). My wife and I have also taken the car on a 9-hour (each way) road trip; neither of us had an issue with the seats.

Regarding the 911 vs. the F Type, its nice to have such choices. My only advice is that if you like your ego stroked now and then, seriously consider the R Coupe. You'll get noticed in the 911, but not to the degree you will in the R. I have yet to take out my R and not get a thumbs up, or a picture taken, or someone straining to get a better look at the car. It's just a beautiful car that seems to appeal to almost everyone and its still such a novelty that it constantly grabs attention. Best of luck with your selection.

Old 10-13-2015, 03:33 PM
Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

1) I have the AWD R, and I've driven the RWD extensively and to be frank, unless you're on a track or really pushing the car to its limits, I don't see how anyone can tell the difference. In a nutshell, I think you would enjoy the RWD as much as an AWD model.

2) My commute is about 40 min each way, and I've never had an issue with the seats. Over the weekend, went on a 3.5 hour road trip and didn't notice any strain. Please note that I'm 45, healthy and relatively in shape.

Playful analogy: Having come from P-cars (993, 996 and 997s), I would say that these cars are like the girls you marry (in the best possible sense), whereas the F Type is like that intense fling that will make you question your sanity once second, then have you not caring, the very next.

I, too, did the calculation of which car to get but in the end, I just wanted to drive something that was beautiful, bonkers and bold. Whichever car you choose, it'll be the right one for you. Just pick one and drive it like you stole it!!!

Old 10-14-2015, 10:25 AM
Veteran Member
Received 442 Likes on 323 Posts

I had three Porsche prior to now three jaguars. The Jaguar seats are hands down more comfortable than Porsche, especially on long drives. Porsche seats are thin and eventually you sit through the upholstery. I have done two 1,600 and 1,000 mile trip in an XKRS and F Type both with the performance seats with my wife and neither one of us complained about the seats as we have in our Porsches. We spent at times 8 hours in the seats. No issue. 10-15 minutes is not even worth discussing as you are not even warming up the leather and start transforming the seat. I regularly sit 4-5 hours on a weekend in the car for runs with friends, never get fatigued.

Both my cars are RWD and have no issue with handling or wished I had AWD. Just ran Millersport Park in NJ and chased a GT3 the whole time in the F Type. Very confident in the handling of the car, it is all in your right foot and how softly you apply power.

Quick Reply: Buying a pre-owned F-type R Coupe as my daily driver... a few questions