XJ XJ8 / XJR ( X308 ) 1997 - 2003

US on the low end of Jaguar

Search this Thread

Old 06-10-2017, 04:04 AM
Received 324 Likes on 229 Posts

mine has the global lock/unlock and closes the sunroof. and all the features mentioned except for the folding mirrors and the auto dim side view mirrors. but my side view ones are heated.

Old 06-10-2017, 09:34 AM
Veteran Member
Received 2,180 Likes on 1,583 Posts

Originally Posted by Stu 1986
There are a large number of what I regard as "low spec" cars in the UK, these tend to be earlier cars from 98 & 99. They have manual seats or only have power adjustment for back and forth movement, no seat heating, no heated front screen, no veneer on the window switch panels, no cruise control, no auto wipe function and in some cases no CD changer. Later on from 2000 onwards there were still cars coming out missing some features like heated seats and front screen but the seats were all full power adjustable and CD changer as standard.
Although the US cars miss out on some of the security features, from what I've seen most have full powered and heated seats, cruise control, full veneer and many have the premium sound system which is a rare thing to find in the UK.
Mine is a really early 97 built Executive... It has some weird goodies, from factory...

Autofolding and dimming mirrors
Fully power adjustable front seats
Cruise control
Heated seats
Electro chromatic mirror
Sunroof
XJR seat covers wirhout the XJR logo
XJR steering wheel without XJR logo
XJR veneer

It is missing the memory function of the driver seat, no power steering column, no rain sensor, no heated front windscreen, ... The owner had either a bargain at hand or the dealership thought the car would be better like this. As it is like number 6xx of all X308 built, I think it is really neat and has a nice amount of gubbins that I am happy to use. Best of all the V8 and the sunroof

Old 06-10-2017, 11:29 AM
luc
Received 195 Likes on 136 Posts

Originally Posted by al_roethlisberger
Mine's an X300, and has the global window/sunroof close with the key as well. It doesn't auto-open all with key on an X300 though.

Dimming side mirrors and folding were available on the X300, but I've not seen any in the US, although there is nothing that would have prevented someone from ordering/installing those features as far as I can tell other than cost (you have to buy a different rear view mirror as well as expensive dimming side/wing mirror glasses).

The theory I've heard, and mentioned above, is that the majority of US cars were ordered as standard packages by the dealer/importer based on what they thought would sell and most people bought off the lot. Hence the standardization of what we see here in the US.

But regarding deadlocking, full immobilization and interior motion detectors.... I don't think those were available on US X300s. On that point I can't comment why. The deadlocking IMHO is pretty weird though. Why would you ever want someone locked inside the car. Even if a "bad guy", I'd rather he got out instead of destroying the interior trying. It's like the "oil thread" equivalent debate of whether you should bother locking a convertible

only power fold, not dimming on X300, at least as a factory kit

Old 06-10-2017, 02:13 PM
Veteran Member
Received 672 Likes on 495 Posts

Originally Posted by luc
only power fold, not dimming on X300, at least as a factory kit
I can't confirm whether any X300 came from the factory with auto-dimming wing/side mirrors, but the parts were available and the wiring appears to be in place on my 97 XJR.

If you look at part #3, which is the later mirror on the X300 and I think reused on the X308:

https://www.jaguarclassicparts.com/u...ar-view-mirror

I believe the slightly more expensive "automatic dim - electrochromatic HNA3121BA" version of the mirror has the fourth wire to trigger the dimming side mirrors.

In addition, you can see below in part #15(wing/side mirror glass) there is a dimming version, "without warning - electrochromatic HNA3075AA
↳ HND3075AA" that is three times the cost of the normal heated glass.

Also, if you check out the following thread, especially post #2, you'll see that the X300 wiring schematic shows the fourth wire in the harness from the rear view mirror, that goes to the two wing/side mirrors when they are dimming/electrochromatic which like on my Buick is triggered by the rear view mirror. I have the fourth wire in the overhead harness for my rear view mirror in my 97 XJR, but the rear view mirror I have is just a three wire unit and I don't have the dimming glass for the wing/side mirrors.

https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/x...mirror-175709/

Again, whether any X300s came from the factory with this option, I can't say, but the car is wired for it and the parts seem to be available to make it work.

Apologies for the side track.... back on topic now

Old 06-10-2017, 03:02 PM
luc
Received 195 Likes on 136 Posts

Al:
Copied below is an old post of mine

#8 Report Post
Old 03-14-2017, 01:55 PM
luc

Quote:
Originally Posted by nilanium View Post
luc do you know where you could get the kit or if it's still available? Or at least what it was called? I don't care much for the power folding but I really want the electrochromic outside mirrors. The only place I've seen them so far is at dealers for $180 each...

Here is a very old post from someone that copied a post of mine
BTW, the kit seems to still be available but over $1,300

Hi guys
just found this on a diff forum might help (damn I just ordered my manual one!!!!..and I would REALLY like the electrochromatic feature)

There are 2 different kits,one for X300 ( XJ6 1994 to 1997)and one for X308 (XJ8 1998 to 2003)

The XJ8 kit, part # JLM 20460 also add electrochromatic glass on both sides ( controled by the interior rear view mirror),while the XJ6 kit,part # JLM 21355, only have the fold feature.

"A few years back,the price for the XJ6 was $392 and $495 for the XJ8.

I did the XJ8 on my 01 XJR and it's plug-and-play and very simple.

Just remove the door trim, the little plastic piece on the top front of the door to access the mirror bolt, remove old mirror,remove the pinted/chrome cover from old mirror,install on new ones, put new ones in and you're done.
A relay that goes under the fuse box under the rear seat,driver side, is supplied but most US cars already have the relay.
The "fold" switch is already there.
You put the mirror selector ( left/right) in neutral (center position) and you use the position switch ( the round one) to fold in by pressing it toward you (as to angle the glass in) and to fold out it's the opposite.

Luc 01 XJR"

Old 06-10-2017, 10:19 PM
Veteran Member
Received 672 Likes on 495 Posts

I understand, and thanks for the additional information, which I've seen before in another thread.

Well, like I said though, I can't say if the X300 ever came from the factory with electrochromatic wing/side mirrors. However as noted in my thread above about X300 mirror wiring, it became apparent the harness may be ready to go at least in the 1997 X300, but perhaps not in 1995 or 1996 as the 1996 wiring diagram does not show the fourth wire. Just as the 1997 X300 previewed the X308 rear seat, it is possible Jaguar worked in the harness for the dimming wing/side mirrors in late or all 1997 X300s as they transitioned to the X308?

But what I do know:

1) The 1997 X300 electrical diagram in my thread linked above shows the four wire harness for dimming side/wing mirrors.
2) The X300 four wire dimming rearview mirror seems to possibly be an available option from Jaguar Classic Parts.
3) The X300 electrochromatic/dimming wing/side mirror glass is definitely available from Jaguar Classic Parts.
4) My 1997 XJR6 has the four wires in the rearview mirror harness. I've verified that.

The only thing I haven't confirmed is if the wiring from the "fourth dimming trigger wire" from the rearview mirror connector continues in the harness out to the wing/side mirror connectors. I'd have to take the mirrors apart to check that, and I haven't gotten to that yet. But I bet it does.

So I suspect the wiring is ready to go in the 1997 X300 XJR, and I bet would work if one bought the four wire rearview mirror and dimming side/wing mirror glass. Again one would just need to check if the wiring is end-to-end.
It's on my list to test, but not a high priority to look into soon mostly due to cost.

Oh, and even if I'm completely wrong, one could still make it work without any kit or factory harness.

Just buy the dimming and wing/side mirror triggering rearview mirror for an X308, then buy the dimming side/wing mirror glass for the X308 as they are all same as the X300. Then run wire from the rearview mirror trigger to the side/wing mirrors.... done

Last edited by al_roethlisberger; 06-10-2017 at 10:23 PM.
Old 06-10-2017, 10:26 PM
Veteran Member
Received 103 Likes on 87 Posts

why didn't the us get the 3.2?

Old 06-11-2017, 01:00 AM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by omgimali
why didn't the us get the 3.2?
Probably because it is a softdrink size?

Nearly all EU imports are bigger engind sizes than here. VW has a 1.2 and 1.4l engine here... I think you didn't get anything smaller than 2.0l. Volvo has a 1.6l diesel, 1.6l petrol etc., the smallest you got a few years ago was 2.4l.

The 3.2l doesn't run as smooth as the 4.0l... I have noticed that on multiple occasions. Even press tests have noticed that probably because of it's shorter stroke...70 mm vs. 86 mm as per 4.0l (which is square).

The following users liked this post:
omgimali (06-11-2017)
Old 06-11-2017, 02:03 AM
Veteran Member
Received 103 Likes on 87 Posts

Yea we don't have many if any 3 or 5 cylinder engines.

Old 06-11-2017, 03:53 AM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by omgimali
Yea we don't have many if any 3 or 5 cylinder engines.
All Volvos sold in the States with FWD, apart for the S40 I/V40 I were 5 cylinders. Only since around 3 years are they now 4 cylinders...