XJ XJ8 / XJR ( X308 ) 1997 - 2003

US on the low end of Jaguar

Old 06-08-2017, 12:29 AM
Veteran Member
Received 103 Likes on 87 Posts
Default US on the low end of Jaguar

Why was the US cars have wayyyy less features/options than the U.K cars? Someone please explain?

Old 06-08-2017, 12:35 AM
Veteran Member
Received 2,180 Likes on 1,583 Posts

Originally Posted by omgimali
Why was the US cars have wayyyy less features/options than the U.K cars? Someone please explain?
What features? The only difference I know of is that we were able to get the 3.2l V8 as an entry model.

Old 06-08-2017, 01:49 AM
Veteran Member

We didn't get features like Intrusion sensing, dead locking, auto fold rear view mirrors, passive arming/passive alarm. and a few others i can't remember.

Old 06-08-2017, 02:44 AM
Veteran Member

Hmm, probably because of legal reasons and reasons Jaguar didn't want to get dragged into the court rooms about.

I can imagine something like 'Shelly' leaving her 4 year old dauggter in the car after locking it and the child playing with her lighter setting the car on fire. Can't open the doors because the door pulls are then disconnected from the locks. So Jaguar gets sued for 10.000.000 USD...

Or the mirrors not unfolding when starting the car resulting in the owner then not using them, gettong a ticket from thr local officier and then sueing Jaguar for fitting non autofolding mirrors.

All these kind of things. Global close (key in door lock, as if you were locking the car, hold the key 'locked' and the windows and sunroof close) will probably also be unavailable, as it is an illegal installtion over there (Volvo doesn't even offer it and has all these clever little sensors to stop the windows c0from closing if an obsticle is in the way...).

Blame it on your adminstration and the NTHS or whatever the transport board is called.

The following 2 users liked this post by Daim:
omgimali (06-08-2017), xjay8 (06-12-2017)
Old 06-08-2017, 06:33 AM
Veteran Member
Received 2,781 Likes on 2,225 Posts

I think it's great that we don't have all those little things that can fail as the car ages.

Old 06-08-2017, 10:05 AM
Received 18 Likes on 15 Posts

(Blame it on your adminstration and the NTHS or whatever the transport board is called.)

Now this is a bunch of MALARKY...MB/Audi/BMW all have "Intrusion sensing, dead locking, auto fold rear view mirrors, passive arming/passive alarm" I own a 1994 MB C280 w/folding mirrors and intrusion alarm......and not after market or installed later...the only after market item on my MB is the rear deck spoiler w/brake light....

Old 06-08-2017, 02:35 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by Daim
Hmm, probably because of legal reasons and reasons Jaguar didn't want to get dragged into the court rooms about.

I can imagine something like 'Shelly' leaving her 4 year old dauggter in the car after locking it and the child playing with her lighter setting the car on fire. Can't open the doors because the door pulls are then disconnected from the locks. So Jaguar gets sued for 10.000.000 USD...

Or the mirrors not unfolding when starting the car resulting in the owner then not using them, gettong a ticket from thr local officier and then sueing Jaguar for fitting non autofolding mirrors.

All these kind of things. Global close (key in door lock, as if you were locking the car, hold the key 'locked' and the windows and sunroof close) will probably also be unavailable, as it is an illegal installtion over there (Volvo doesn't even offer it and has all these clever little sensors to stop the windows c0from closing if an obsticle is in the way...).

Blame it on your adminstration and the NTHS or whatever the transport board is called.
That makes sense. But no one sued them for the failing headliner that happen to every x308 vehicle.

Old 06-08-2017, 02:55 PM
Veteran Member

That is something every Jag owner gets It's not a fault, it's a feature

The following users liked this post:
omgimali (06-08-2017)
Old 06-08-2017, 03:06 PM
Veteran Member

lmao that is how im gonna see it from now on.

Old 06-08-2017, 05:44 PM
luc
Received 195 Likes on 136 Posts

nothing to do with legal stuff but rather with the fact that Jaguar in the US are usually not custom ordered (the factory built your car to your specs), but instead dealers/importer ordered
Whatever dealers/importer believe is the right combination of price/options is what end up on dealers showroom and therefore what you buy
simple really

Old 06-08-2017, 06:49 PM
Received 49 Likes on 36 Posts

"All these kind of things. Global close (key in door lock, as if you were locking the car, hold the key 'locked' and the windows and sunroof close) will probably also be unavailable, as it is an illegal installtion over there (Volvo doesn't even offer it and has all these clever little sensors to stop the windows c0from closing if an obsticle is in the way...)."
Not sure about your comment. Mine does do all windows and sunroof and locks all the doors when I trun my key to the left. It also rolls all windows down and unlocks when turned to the right. Only the sunroof does not open.

Old 06-08-2017, 09:18 PM
Veteran Member
Received 487 Likes on 370 Posts

One important one (which was packaged with the folding mirrors, but should have been available separately, and standard) was AUTO DIMMING SIDE MIRRORS. Folding mirrors are common on higher-trim x350's and dimming mirrors were standard on them I believe?

Mine also has global window lock, but you need to hold the key turned until everything closes, it doesn't do it automatically from just starting the closing. Same way the windows don't have an auto close completely feature from the inside switches. Probably due to that obstacle sensing mentioned before.

Old 06-08-2017, 10:47 PM
luc
Received 195 Likes on 136 Posts

here is a list of options that i added to my 01 XJR, using obviously all factory parts
"R1" package
Power folding and auto chromatic side mirrors
leveling headlamps
rear blinds
Navigation
Tilt sensor for the alarm
under hood tool kit
VDP overhead wood trim for console
Full Autolux charcoal leather interior
side marker lights

Old 06-09-2017, 01:31 AM
Veteran Member
Received 4,483 Likes on 3,901 Posts

Generally the buyer could order any feature but would have to wait for the car to be built and shipped across. Most buyers instead of doing that just buy the car in the showroom.

Old 06-09-2017, 07:54 AM
Veteran Member
Received 915 Likes on 560 Posts

Originally Posted by larney
"All these kind of things. Global close (key in door lock, as if you were locking the car, hold the key 'locked' and the windows and sunroof close) will probably also be unavailable, as it is an illegal installtion over there (Volvo doesn't even offer it and has all these clever little sensors to stop the windows c0from closing if an obsticle is in the way...)."
Not sure about your comment. Mine does do all windows and sunroof and locks all the doors when I trun my key to the left. It also rolls all windows down and unlocks when turned to the right. Only the sunroof does not open.
same here, and my US model X100 XKR does all 4 Windows (yes there's 4) and the convertible top with the key in the door for global open and close.

Old 06-09-2017, 11:21 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by larney
whaaaaat?? That is SO COOL.
​​​​​​​I have no idea if my Jag does this.. I must test and see lol

Old 06-09-2017, 02:12 PM
Veteran Member

I have the global lock and unlock feature.

Old 06-09-2017, 03:31 PM
Veteran Member
Received 672 Likes on 495 Posts

Originally Posted by nilanium
One important one (which was packaged with the folding mirrors, but should have been available separately, and standard) was AUTO DIMMING SIDE MIRRORS. Folding mirrors are common on higher-trim x350's and dimming mirrors were standard on them I believe?

Mine also has global window lock, but you need to hold the key turned until everything closes, it doesn't do it automatically from just starting the closing. Same way the windows don't have an auto close completely feature from the inside switches. Probably due to that obstacle sensing mentioned before.

Mine's an X300, and has the global window/sunroof close with the key as well. It doesn't auto-open all with key on an X300 though.

Dimming side mirrors and folding were available on the X300, but I've not seen any in the US, although there is nothing that would have prevented someone from ordering/installing those features as far as I can tell other than cost (you have to buy a different rear view mirror as well as expensive dimming side/wing mirror glasses).

The theory I've heard, and mentioned above, is that the majority of US cars were ordered as standard packages by the dealer/importer based on what they thought would sell and most people bought off the lot. Hence the standardization of what we see here in the US.

But regarding deadlocking, full immobilization and interior motion detectors.... I don't think those were available on US X300s. On that point I can't comment why. The deadlocking IMHO is pretty weird though. Why would you ever want someone locked inside the car. Even if a "bad guy", I'd rather he got out instead of destroying the interior trying. It's like the "oil thread" equivalent debate of whether you should bother locking a convertible

Last edited by al_roethlisberger; 06-09-2017 at 03:35 PM.
Old 06-09-2017, 04:07 PM
Received 49 Likes on 36 Posts

Also when paralle lparking if you use the mirror control and aim the passenger side mirror down(so you can see the curb) when you take it out of reverse the mirror goes back to normal.

Old 06-10-2017, 02:47 AM
Veteran Member
Received 470 Likes on 352 Posts

There are a large number of what I regard as "low spec" cars in the UK, these tend to be earlier cars from 98 & 99. They have manual seats or only have power adjustment for back and forth movement, no seat heating, no heated front screen, no veneer on the window switch panels, no cruise control, no auto wipe function and in some cases no CD changer. Later on from 2000 onwards there were still cars coming out missing some features like heated seats and front screen but the seats were all full power adjustable and CD changer as standard.
Although the US cars miss out on some of the security features, from what I've seen most have full powered and heated seats, cruise control, full veneer and many have the premium sound system which is a rare thing to find in the UK.

Search this Thread