XJ XJ8 / XJR ( X308 ) 1997 - 2003

What did you do to your X308 Today?

Search this Thread

Old 06-17-2019, 10:06 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,019 Likes on 740 Posts

Originally Posted by Carnival Kid
KC, I bet a new gas cap will cure that P0442, like you say, it's probably time for a new one anyway. I replaced mine a little while ago, the seal was starting to look its 17 years and I figured a replacement was good insurance.
Yes mine for sure is the original & has a lot of corrosive staining on it. Just ordered one from Welsh, I was meaning to pick one up last year when I got the code initially but got into other tasks lol.

On a plus note when I picked up the car from paint there was a baby praying mantis on the roof. I let him be & he hung on all the way home, a 15 minute drive @ 70 MPH lol. That's a good omen in a few Asian martial arts cultures so I'm glad he's taking up residency near by lol.

Last edited by King Charles; 06-17-2019 at 10:33 PM.
The following users liked this post:
chris-jag (07-01-2019)
Old 06-18-2019, 09:20 PM
Veteran Member
Received 487 Likes on 370 Posts

Verified that my junkyard wheels I thought were good, were indeed bent... 3/4 have a moderate hop along the inside bead (maybe 1/2 to 3/4 in high at least) while all the outside beads spin true. *sigh* and getting them repaired costs more than a budget set of replacements...

Other than that, was biking around and saw a beautiful VDP in a sort of iridescent blue/green... Not like the standard BRG I don't think. Looked almost black in the shade, and became more of a bluish/green under the sunlight. Definitely my dream x308 paint color now. Stopped and chatted with the owner a bit too.

Photos don't really capture it

Old 06-19-2019, 12:27 PM
Received 105 Likes on 54 Posts

Finally got the System X Super Slick ceramic treatment in so she got another cut/buff and a double ceramic coating. Thing is super slick now!

[img][/img]
[im

The following 3 users liked this post by LaserSVT:
A.J.P (06-23-2019), chris-jag (06-20-2019), Stu 1986 (06-20-2019)
Old 06-21-2019, 07:07 PM
Veteran Member

Thoroughly washed exterior & interior only to drive it one hour later to run some errands & come out to a busted tail lamp. No note, nobody to answer for anything lol. Just got the car up to top tier status & BLAM ! Some idiot has to defecate in my proverbial yard lol. No bumper or paint damage makes me think it's a high bumper or a truck with open tail gate. Oh well the hunt is on for either a new one or a used one that's not scratched to high heaven.

Also my new gas cap came from Welsh it looks a bit different but let's see if this kills my sporadic evap code.

Edit :

Last edited by King Charles; 06-21-2019 at 07:28 PM.
Old 06-21-2019, 07:45 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,008 Likes on 613 Posts

Originally Posted by King Charles
Thoroughly washed exterior & interior only to drive it one hour later to run some errands & come out to a busted tail lamp.
That sucks big time, but at least there is no body damage!.

Should be able to find a decent used item for around $50 bucks. (I have an item if you really get stuck)

my new gas cap came from Welsh it looks a bit different but let's see if this kills my sporadic evap code.
Should cure your code,.......when I replaced mine there seemed to be two types, those with a lanyard, and those without. Mine didn't have a lanyard, so I ordered one without, it has worked fine even though it did look a little different on its internals.............. and it was $40 bucks! ( I forget where I bought it from).

Old 06-21-2019, 07:54 PM
Veteran Member

That sucks big time, but at least there is no body damage!.

Should be able to find a decent used item for around $50 bucks. (I have an item if you really get stuck)

Should cure your code,.......when I replaced mine there seemed to be two types, those with a lanyard, and those without. Mine didn't have a lanyard, so I ordered one without, it has worked fine even though it did look a little different on its internals.............. and it was $40 bucks! ( I forget where I bought it from).

Paid $25 for the gas cap(non lanyard via Welsh on eBay) & just scored a mint tail lamp for $80 !

Last edited by King Charles; 06-21-2019 at 11:31 PM.
Old 06-22-2019, 02:47 AM
Received 90 Likes on 64 Posts

Thoroughly washed exterior & interior only to drive it one hour later to run some errands & come out to a busted tail lamp. No note, nobody to answer for anything lol. Just got the car up to top tier status & BLAM ! Some idiot has to defecate in my proverbial yard lol. No bumper or paint damage makes me think it's a high bumper or a truck with open tail gate. Oh well the hunt is on for either a new one or a used one that's not scratched to high heaven.
That's a real shame!

Do you park next to other cars in lots? Or far away as I do? I hope it was just a bad driver accident rather than a deliberate act of vandalism.

At least shoud not be > ~ $100 to replace it used from eBay. 2-3X that for new.

Good luck & be extra careful if you return to that parking lot.

Old 06-23-2019, 03:18 AM
Veteran Member
Received 470 Likes on 352 Posts

Yesterday I took my XJ for an MOT test which she passed, but the examiner pointed out a couple of things that need resolving.
1) Slight play in LH steering rack arm
2) Front Tyres inner edges worn more than rest of the tyre
3) PAS fluid leaking from pipe coming from the reservoir to the pump.
4) Both Rear ARB drop links have perished rubber.

Number 4 has got me very annoyed, I replaced both ARB drop links with new items from British Parts in November 2018. I’ll be buying OEM from Jaguar next time, the cost is only slightly more.

I will be able to look at the other 3 items as I go through the front suspension overhaul, the tyre wear is probably because of worn components. I can’t do anything just now as I’m completely tapped out, but after I’ve recovered financially I'm thinking of buying a parts car to strip for the subframes. My plan is to then build up a set of beautiful restored frames I can then quickly swap out. But that won’t be for a while.

After the test test we went out for the day, I traveled 125 miles in total. I didn’t see another X308 all day as they are rare here now, only the ones that have been looked after survive. I was thinking yesterday about how I said I’d never do another restoration of a car now I’ve completed my last one. But maybe in a couple of years I’ll find myself stripping this XJ down to restore. LOL.

A.J.P (06-23-2019)
Old 06-23-2019, 04:26 AM
Received 63 Likes on 46 Posts
Default Perished boot

Originally Posted by Stu 1986
4) Both Rear ARB drop links have perished rubber.

Number 4 has got me very annoyed, I replaced both ARB drop links with new items from British Parts in November 2018. I’ll be buying OEM from Jaguar next time, the cost is only slightly more.
I'm with you on number 4 too. I replaced the lower ball joint twelve months ago and now the rubber has perished. That's maybe over 5000 miles in total too. I'll be buying a jaguar one next time,but does anyone know if you can replace the boot alone? Specs?

Perished boot on lower ball joint

Old 06-23-2019, 05:19 AM
Received 63 Likes on 46 Posts

New bolts on the steering rack.
Old ones were impossible to get in and out, plus they wouldn't seat completely leaving the rack slightly loose. I'm surprised the upper ones have very little thread depth.

Drilled right the way through with m8, tapped to m10. Think I'll put a plastic cap on them at some point.

M10 bolt, 50mm long but I think 40mm is enough. That way you can use them for the upper ones too, as there's less depth

Also found some rust whilst I was under there. Can't believe I missed it last year, but hey.

LaserSVT (06-25-2019)
Old 06-23-2019, 12:34 PM
Received 58 Likes on 51 Posts

I see both yourself and the previous poster are from the UK, is there anything about the weather or road treatment that would promote rapid deterioration? I ask because here in the states I haven't had any issues with rust or premature rubber wear, even with non Jaguar OEM replacement parts. I have also seen few X308's with rust unless they live in a cold area that salts the roads, near salt water or just don't care for the car. There are still many X308s scooting around here, though admittedly most still on the road were likely lightly driven and are owned by people who did scheduled maintenance. However quite a few posters on here with 200K+ miles.

Also your MOT is much more thorough, here they mainly see if your lights work and check emissions.

Old 06-23-2019, 04:42 PM
Veteran Member

The original under-hood toolkits that came with the European X308s are cool, but I couldn't bring myself to pay the $125.00 + asking prices. So today I went down to Joann Fabric and bought some foam and made one of my own.

The toolkit bay is approx 1' deep, so I bought some 1/2" foam and cut two identical shapes to fit inside the tool bay. I then cut the silhouettes for the tools I had chosen to use (A crescent wrench, a pair of needle-nose pliers, a screwdriver, a flashlight, a brake-light bulb, a turn signal bulb, and a spare relay) out of one of the foam pieces. I then placed the uncut foam piece on the bottom, sprayed it lightly with glue, and then placed the piece with the cut silhouettes on the top. Joanns only has green-colored foam, so I then sprayed the now-joined pieces with a light coat of satin black paint.

Obviously both the original toolkit, and mine, are much more of a "decorative" item than functional as most "useful" tools are kept in the trunk, but it is a nice "talking piece" and I am pleased with it.

The following 5 users liked this post by Carnival Kid:
Blown Income (06-23-2019), chris-jag (06-25-2019), Iconoclast (06-24-2019), King Charles (06-25-2019), LaserSVT (06-24-2019)
Old 06-23-2019, 06:36 PM
Received 12 Likes on 5 Posts

The original under-hood toolkits that came with the European X308s are cool, but I couldn't bring myself to pay the $125.00 + asking prices. So today I went down to Joann Fabric and bought some foam and made one of my own.

The toolkit bay is approx 1' deep, so I bought some 1/2" foam and cut two identical shapes to fit inside the tool bay. I then cut the silhouettes for the tools I had chosen to use (A crescent wrench, a pair of needle-nose pliers, a screwdriver, a flashlight, a brake-light bulb, a turn signal bulb, and a spare relay) out of one of the foam pieces. I then placed the uncut foam piece on the bottom, sprayed it lightly with glue, and then placed the piece with the cut silhouettes on the top. Joanns only has green-colored foam, so I then sprayed the now-joined pieces with a light coat of satin black paint.

Obviously both the original toolkit, and mine, are much more of a "decorative" item than functional as most "useful" tools are kept in the trunk, but it is a nice "talking piece" and I am pleased with it.

Looks great.

cliveb (06-23-2019)
Old 06-24-2019, 12:11 AM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by anduha
I see both yourself and the previous poster are from the UK, is there anything about the weather or road treatment that would promote rapid deterioration?
I’m not sure if there’s anything that would cause rubber to deteriorate quicker here, unless it’s not 100% real rubber. The items fitted on my car have done less than 1400 miles, I fitted them late November and drove the car to Belgium & back and she then sat for 6 months on the driveway. They do use salt here though, a ridiculous amount at that which is what’s caused the corrosion to occur.

One other conclusion I reached on Saturday was that I’m going to remove the Paramount exhaust system I fitted last year and go back to the standard system. It’s all very novel when you first start up and drive but after a while it begins to get on my nerves. Also she’s only got a little 3.2 engine and it’s not exactly a quick car, the exhaust is writing cheques the engine can’t cash. Especially these days where technology allows for 1.6 litre 3 cylinder hatchbacks to do 7 second 0-60 times.

A.J.P (06-24-2019)
Old 06-24-2019, 05:07 PM
Veteran Member

Okay, couldn't leave well enough alone, it looked a little sparse, so I added some fuses and a tire pressure gauge, oh and a different screwdriver.

I'm done now!

The following 2 users liked this post by Carnival Kid:
chris-jag (06-25-2019), LaserSVT (06-25-2019)
Old 06-25-2019, 07:04 PM

Love it! Mine just has micro fiber towels in it. lol Now I really wanna do that! Maybe buy a flipover screwdriver or even one that holds bits in its head so you have torx and flat and phillips.

Old 06-25-2019, 07:48 PM
Veteran Member

Car damaged Friday afternoon,part ordered from e-Bay vendor in Sacramento Ca. Friday evening. Part arrived Monday in eastern NC(coast to coast) & installed, can't beat that turn around lol. Good to know there are still quality vendors on e-Bay.

Originally Posted by Iconoclast
That's a real shame!

Do you park next to other cars in lots? Or far away as I do? I hope it was just a bad driver accident rather than a deliberate act of vandalism.

At least shoud not be > ~ $100 to replace it used from eBay. 2-3X that for new.

Good luck & be extra careful if you return to that parking lot.
I tend to park on the outskirts/less populated areas. But that day was one of the in & out mad dash errand days @ rush hour.

Last edited by King Charles; 06-25-2019 at 08:16 PM.
The following 2 users liked this post by King Charles:
Carnival Kid (06-25-2019), chris-jag (07-01-2019)
Old 06-25-2019, 08:18 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by LaserSVT
Love it, I really wanna do that! Maybe buy a flipover screwdriver or even one that holds bits in its head so you have torx and flat and phillips.
Have to admit that the practical side of me was urging me to source a multi-use screwdriver for practically purposes, but really this is all just "window dressing" and unlikely to actually be used as the "real" tools are in the trunk, but still a lot of fun "designing" it.

Go for it, it is really easy, probably took me 45 minutes, plus another 10 minutes adding the fuses and tire pressure gauge.

Old 06-25-2019, 09:46 PM

Have to admit that the practical side of me was urging me to source a multi-use screwdriver for practically purposes, but really this is all just "window dressing" and unlikely to actually be used as the "real" tools are in the trunk, but still a lot of fun "designing" it.

Go for it, it is really easy, probably took me 45 minutes, plus another 10 minutes adding the fuses and tire pressure gauge.
So I showed it in North American Jaguar club and another XJ page and people LOVE it! You could make some money for sure. I understand the window dressing but the fuses, light and bulbs and pliers are all handy in a pinch on a back road. Most of us don't keep anything in the trunk.

Old 06-26-2019, 12:26 AM
Veteran Member

My car has the factory tool kit in there, and I do use it a lot. The Jaguar screwdriver flips between Philips & flat head, and the flat head is just the right size to fit in the torx bolts on the battery clamp. I use the spanners for undoing the battery or if I’m working under there and need an 8, 10, 13 or 15mm spanner I can just grab one from there. I’ve even used the factory tyre pressure gauge and the bulbs have been used and replaced too. The pliers are good, and they’ve got wire stripping bits on too so can be used in a pinch for that too. However my spare fuses live in the dedicated slot in the fuse box lid in the boot.

The XJ40 had a slightly more comprehensive tool kit under it’s bonnet, but there was more room. It contained spark plug removal tools in addition to the bits the X300 & X308 got.

Last edited by Stu 1986; 06-26-2019 at 12:28 AM.

Quick Reply: What did you do to your X308 Today?