XJ XJ8 / XJR ( X308 ) 1997 - 2003

What did you do to your X308 Today?

Search this Thread

Old 09-08-2013, 09:30 PM
Veteran Member
Received 279 Likes on 194 Posts

I added even more wiring:

2 NOS solenoids in series to lessen likelihood of one hanging open when not desired.
1 fuel solenoid to match with the NOS
1 Purge valve solenoid
Wired NOS controller
4 more relays for the above
ran nos line through cabin with gauge

added in line cooling fan to vent cool air to rear of engine bay when not moving

Mounted NOS bottle in trunk, installed blow off tube

Now impatiently waiting for super charger to return from warranty work to test this all out.

Attached Thumbnails What did you do to your X308 Today?-2013-09-08-16.24.42.jpg   What did you do to your X308 Today?-2013-09-08-16.29.50.jpg   What did you do to your X308 Today?-2013-08-22-18.17.31.jpg  
Old 09-10-2013, 12:05 PM
Received 54 Likes on 41 Posts

Today, I finally got my XJR back from the shop, after having 2 fuel pumps replaced. The car runs perfect at lower engine speeds, but cuts out at 3000 RPM. I also am hearing knocking from the supercharger area, but only at idle. When I rev the motor, the sound of the engine drowns it out. It does not appear to change with engine speed. I did have the engine oil changed when it was in the shop.

Does anyone have any ideas? The part load breather is clean, and I don't know what else could be going on. The car ran perfect until the fuel pumps went out a couple weeks ago. It sat at the shop for two weeks. Could sitting for two weeks be part of the problem? I do not have any yellow or red lights or warning messages in the dash.

Help!

Old 09-10-2013, 12:48 PM
Received 318 Likes on 217 Posts

Originally Posted by WaterDragon
I added even more wiring:

2 NOS solenoids in series to lessen likelihood of one hanging open when not desired.
1 fuel solenoid to match with the NOS
1 Purge valve solenoid
Wired NOS controller
4 more relays for the above
ran nos line through cabin with gauge

added in line cooling fan to vent cool air to rear of engine bay when not moving

Mounted NOS bottle in trunk, installed blow off tube.

Now impatiently waiting for super charger to return from warranty work to test this all out.
uuhh....that's a lot of wiring!

Old 09-10-2013, 09:05 PM
Received 20 Likes on 19 Posts

still working on getting the on board emissions to release so i can go back to inspection and have the car inspected...of six needed....two are ready the other four not ready,,,,my major problem is i just don't drive the car over 50mph....90 per cent of driving is local...back to the free way tomorrow....

i also had an oil change yesterday,,,and switched from dino oil to synthetic....Mobil one.

Old 09-10-2013, 09:44 PM
Veteran Member
Received 2,167 Likes on 1,611 Posts

Originally Posted by XJRChad
Well, I'm hopefully getting the car back from the shop TODAY. They would have had it done yesterday, but the moron who worked on it last had messed up the nylon or plastic fuel hoses that hooked to the lines on the front bottom of the tank. My mechanic is replacing both of them with fuel injection hose, and had to order a fitting to adapt one of them.

The guy who replaced a fuel pump a year or two ago apparently messed up the lines trying to remove the fuel tank. He gave up on that, took off the boot lid (which is scratched to hell because he just set it on the floor of his shop), took out the speaker in the rear window shelf (ripping the wires off it in the process), and removed the fuel pump assembly through the speaker hole.

I'm glad I have a good mechanic to fix this other guy's repair job...
Did he manage to do it without enlarging the speaker hole? If he did, that would be big news.

The following users liked this post:
XJRChad (09-11-2013)
Old 09-11-2013, 07:28 AM
Veteran Member
Received 2,982 Likes on 2,123 Posts

Today, I finally got my XJR back from the shop, after having 2 fuel pumps replaced. The car runs perfect at lower engine speeds, but cuts out at 3000 RPM. I also am hearing knocking from the supercharger area, but only at idle. When I rev the motor, the sound of the engine drowns it out. It does not appear to change with engine speed. I did have the engine oil changed when it was in the shop.

Does anyone have any ideas? The part load breather is clean, and I don't know what else could be going on. The car ran perfect until the fuel pumps went out a couple weeks ago. It sat at the shop for two weeks. Could sitting for two weeks be part of the problem? I do not have any yellow or red lights or warning messages in the dash.

Help!

Does it cut out at 3000 RPM when the car is in Drive? This is NORMAL behavior on an XJR in Park and Neutral.

The following users liked this post:
XJRChad (09-11-2013)
Old 09-11-2013, 08:21 AM

Originally Posted by plums
Did he manage to do it without enlarging the speaker hole? If he did, that would be big news.
I don't know if he was successful, but it looks like he tried, at least... Lol

Old 09-11-2013, 08:29 AM

Originally Posted by WhiteXKR
Does it cut out at 3000 RPM when the car is in Drive? This is NORMAL behavior on an XJR in Park and Neutral.
I didn't know that is normal in park and neutral. That's good to know, for future reference. Unfortunately, it cuts out in drive.

However, I did notice some improvement this morning. I got 21.9 MPG on my drive to work today, compared to 18.2 MPG yesterday. This is not as good as the 24-25 MPG it usually gets, but definitely an improvement. The car also seems to have a little more power. Could I have gotten some bad fuel maybe? Or does the computer need a few days to reprogram itself? I did add some Lucas to the fuel tank.

Old 09-11-2013, 08:35 AM
Veteran Member
Received 2,982 Likes on 2,123 Posts

I didn't know that is normal in park and neutral. That's good to know, for future reference. Unfortunately, it cuts out in drive.

However, I did notice some improvement this morning. I got 21.9 MPG on my drive to work today, compared to 18.2 MPG yesterday. This is not as good as the 24-25 MPG it usually gets, but definitely an improvement. The car also seems to have a little more power. Could I have gotten some bad fuel maybe? Or does the computer need a few days to reprogram itself? I did add some Lucas to the fuel tank.
I suggest you check for fault codes with an OBDII reader.

Old 09-11-2013, 09:54 AM

I didn't have any yesterday, but I performed a hard reset, which would have erased the codes. I'll check again later.

I can't really get into it for a few days. My wife was driving her piece-of-Ford Windstar the other day, and a front coil spring broke, melting a hole in the tire. I'll be putting some Monroe Quick-Struts on the front of it.

Old 09-13-2013, 02:57 PM

The only code I picked up was a P0400, which the car has had for quite some time.

I do occasionally smell raw fuel after a few miles of driving. Could something not be hooked up properly? On a side note, the fuel filler neck is now too high, causing the gas cap to block the fuel door from closing all the way.

The car seems to run a little better every day. I was mistaken when I thought it was cutting out at 3000 RPM. It is actually bogging down under moderate acceleration.

Old 09-13-2013, 09:02 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

It was a busy week. I changed engine oil/filter, deep conditioned leathers, change abs module with solder repaired, and changed front upper shock bushings. I need to get it washed and drive it.

Old 09-14-2013, 12:11 AM
Veteran Member

I added even more....

Just added a fuel pressure safety switch so if one of my fuel pumps fails, the Nitrous will automatically turn off before melting the engine

Who would suspect all this chaos under the serene cover?

At least it all fits

Attached Thumbnails What did you do to your X308 Today?-chaos.jpg   What did you do to your X308 Today?-calm.jpg  
The following 3 users liked this post by WaterDragon:
Platinum XJR (09-14-2013), Porsche407 (10-07-2013), XJRChad (09-14-2013)
Old 09-14-2013, 05:47 PM
Received 50 Likes on 39 Posts
Default In the past 34 days...

I bought my 2001 XJR on August 10th.

Since then I have:

1) Replaced the ashtray assembly
2) Replaced the cup holder assembly
3) Replaced the high mount center brake light
4) Replaced the interior C-Pillar light assembly on left side
5) Added a new burlwood shifter knob with R logo on it
6) Repaired the rusty spots in the trunk gutter from the trunk lid rests
7) Temporarily fixed the sagging rear section of headliner
8) Added an R badge to the grille
9) Deleted factory phone and antenna
10) Added a deeper center console bin
11) Bought a silver metal JAGUAR pen for the little holder in the glove box
12) Got a new Motorola T-605 bluetooth device (need to install it)
13) Cleaned, clay bar-ed, and waxed the exterior.
14) Cleaned and treated the interior.
15) License plates arrived today, so I installed them.
16) Educated a guy in a 1960's Mustang that XJR's are not slow

Today I ordered:

1) A set of four new JAGUAR center caps that have a silver & black union jack logo.
2) Ordered the parts to replace my fender leaper badges with white lights / repeaters.

That's it.

For now

Stewart

The following 2 users liked this post by Platinum XJR:
Porsche407 (10-07-2013), WaterDragon (09-14-2013)
Old 09-14-2013, 06:09 PM
Veteran Member

Hah,

I like #16 above the most

Old 09-14-2013, 06:19 PM

Hah,

I like #16 above the most

I was wondering if anyone would actually read all that little stuff.

Mr. Mustang wouldn't even make eye contact with me at the next stop light.

Stewart

Last edited by Platinum XJR; 09-14-2013 at 06:20 PM. Reason: spelling
Old 09-14-2013, 06:42 PM
Veteran Member

I had swapped my XJR badge for a XJ8 to make my car a super sleeper. Often I will signal to change lanes and see whomever is driving in that lane floor it, then I goose mine and leap ahead changing lanes with lots of room to spare while pulling away strongly, then comes my favorite part, I wave as to thank them for letting me in.

At some point later when they catch up I usually see them staring in complete dis-belief that some "old XJ8 " just smoked them.

And they never learn...

Old 09-14-2013, 06:43 PM

I had swapped my XJR badge for a XJ8 to make my car a super sleeper. Often I will signal to change lanes and see whomever is driving in that lane floor it, then I goose mine and leap ahead changing lanes with lots of room to spare while pulling away strongly, then comes my favorite part, I wave as to thank them for letting me in.

At some point later when they catch up I usually see them staring in complete dis-belief that some "old XJ8 " just smoked them.

And they never learn...

Now THAT is funny!

Old 09-15-2013, 10:54 AM
Received 20 Likes on 19 Posts

....stuart...looks like you have been pretty busy as of late.....my front left fender leaper badge fell off.....not looking to replace with repeaters...at this point....just the basic/stock fender leaper badge.....do you/anyone here know where i can order this from?thanks.....jagjunky

Old 09-15-2013, 04:18 PM

Originally Posted by jagjunky
....stuart...looks like you have been pretty busy as of late.....my front left fender leaper badge fell off.....not looking to replace with repeaters...at this point....just the basic/stock fender leaper badge.....do you/anyone here know where i can order this from?thanks.....jagjunky
I have a nice used set I was going to list on eBay.

PM me if you want them.

Stewart

Quick Reply: What did you do to your X308 Today?