XJ XJ8 / XJR ( X308 ) 1997 - 2003

Whats a fair price for a broken Jag

Search this Thread

Old 05-02-2018, 03:42 PM
Received 22 Likes on 13 Posts
Default Whats a fair price for a broken Jag

Hi all, my 2000 XJR overheated last year and dropped three valves, I removed the heads and after saving up a bit finally took the heads into a machine shop to be rebuilt. But alas it turns out the heads were warped and the cost to rebuild them just isn't worth against the value of the car.
I'll either be selling the car as a non runner/parts car or I'll be donating it and taking the tax deduction.
My question is this, if I sell the car what is a fair price for a non running car? I know there are plenty of variables that would determine its value but ballpark it. It's intact save for the heads supercharger and intake removed and its a complete car. Interior is in good condition exterior is in fair condition with the clear coat peeling on the trunk.

Old 05-02-2018, 05:28 PM
Veteran Member
Received 342 Likes on 296 Posts

Fixing a perfect one w/ 25k is more rational vs a tired one with 200k. The rules around auto donations have been tightened .. the last I encountered you received 80% of what the car actually brought ... because that's the true dollars given to the charity. Example: 1K gets you $800 .. gets you $200 in the 25% bracket. Not sure a non running will make 1k

Have you priced used heads ?

Old 05-02-2018, 07:22 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,770 Likes on 1,303 Posts

Man that sucks Scooby, sorry to hear that.
Have you checked here ...Car-Part.com--Used Auto Parts Market ...to see if there's a used motor you'd consider at a reasonable price? Remember these are yards and prices are usually negotiable.

If your going to scrap it, its roughly $250 per ton at a yard, mine is 4950 GVRW, but mine is a Vanden Plas. Which if your going to write it off for taxes as a giveaway, it would be the minimal amount of $500. I gave my Expedition to Make-A-Wish and if they get more than the $500, they will send you a notification for taxes.
I tried to donate to... https://www.kars4kids.org/why-choose-kars4kids.php ...but they aren't in my area. They have a 3/2 hotel voucher on top of your tax deductible receipt which is a little enticing for a weekend getaway.
In either case, help a kid...whether for a severely or terminally ill one or giving direction to them.

Old 05-02-2018, 07:36 PM
Received 22 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by Highhorse
Man that sucks Scooby, sorry to hear that.
Have you checked here ...Car-Part.com--Used Auto Parts Market ...to see if there's a used motor you'd consider at a reasonable price? Remember these are yards and prices are usually negotiable.

If your going to scrap it, its roughly $250 per ton at a yard, mine is 4950 GVRW, but mine is a Vanden Plas. Which if your going to write it off for taxes as a giveaway, it would be the minimal amount of $500. I gave my Expedition to Make-A-Wish and if they get more than the $500, they will send you a notification for taxes.
I tried to donate to... https://www.kars4kids.org/why-choose-kars4kids.php ...but they aren't in my area. They have a 3/2 hotel voucher on top of your tax deductible receipt which is a little enticing for a weekend getaway.
In either case, help a kid...whether for a severely or terminally ill one or giving direction to them.
I think donating it would be the easiest way to get rid of it since its not running, but I thought I would put it up for sale here first so that maybe it could at least be of use to a fellow jag enthusiast but I honestly dont know what a reasonable price for it would be seeing as its not working.

I haven't looked into used motor to take heads off of or swap into the car, but I am begining to look for used heads once again just to see. Found one side off of a 1998 xjr, but don't know if it will fit my 2000.

Old 05-03-2018, 01:29 AM
Veteran Member
Received 342 Likes on 296 Posts

Boils down to what you want to do with the car and what else it needs. With old luxury cars -- It's not unusual for a major repair to equal a big chunk of value. I use Lexus vehicles in my business ..,,, typically run them over 200k even 225k ... insurance issues preclude keeping anything past 250k. So what to do when a transmission goes at 215k. A 8-10 year old Lexus with those miles may be worth 4k ....3k to fix .... worth maybe $500 not running. In my case we don't have a list of problems ....know the cars history and we maintain and take very good care of them -- so I fix them. We give the cars to employees when they age out -- basically very reliable.

I have a local independent Jaguar shop near me -- he has numerous x308's with damaged engines and transmissions and lost owners ... it's a real annoyance for him. Most of them are worth fixing. the fixed car is worth the repairs cost. There is a tiny market for non running cars. When my business used mostly Ford products -- a transmission failure or engine problem at 190k was the final event .. the cars had no value and the reliability at those miles was not there. I gave the cars to my local garage -- he would fix them and make a few bucks.

Old 05-03-2018, 10:24 AM
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Donating the Derilects(sp?)

Caution!
From a distance, the concept of a charity for very seriously ill children with low income parents sounds great. St Jude and Shriners are tops--and, includes lots of personal time contributed!!
Kars For Kids is no such animal. No personal help is needed because that's not what they do. Some aren't evensure of what they do! Suggest tuning in with 'Charity Navigator' website to see the experts' view of this organization.

Old 05-04-2018, 07:21 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,770 Likes on 1,303 Posts

Originally Posted by NEECAPR
Caution!
From a distance, the concept of a charity for very seriously ill children with low income parents sounds great. St Jude and Shriners are tops--and, includes lots of personal time contributed!!
Kars For Kids is no such animal. No personal help is needed because that's not what they do. Some aren't evensure of what they do! Suggest tuning in with 'Charity Navigator' website to see the experts' view of this organization.
No doubt, do your homework before donating. It came down to an issue of who was in my area to whom I could donate to. Thus I chose Make-a-Wish, ...both those you listed Cy are excellent organizations, but I've never seen them accepting vehicles donations.

Old 05-04-2018, 07:08 PM

Hi Highhorse,
Pretty silly to mention those, wasn't it?? Running wide with the topic just looking for any good performers for reference.
But, Make-a-Wish's 'CARcass' to cash looks great! Can make use of award miles also--neat. And--their yield of ~76% is pretty good. There, now I'm going off topic again!!

Old 05-04-2018, 07:15 PM

Hi Highhorse,
Donating the vehicle to Make-a-Wish sounds super. They have a good, good yield of 76%--getting up amongst the top groups.

Old 05-05-2018, 01:33 AM
Veteran Member
Received 475 Likes on 311 Posts

I would look for a running engine out of a wrecked car. It would be easier and cheaper to replace an assembled motor than to rebuild the one you have. Wrecking yards like Pick and Pull will buy your car but probably only give you 100 bucks. I saw an XJR like yours in a local yard.

As to how much the car is worth as is, well It was probably worth more when the motor was not dissasembled. I would always worry that parts were damaged or lost during the process. I would be interested in a car like yours only if I had a similar good running car that was badly damaged in a collision. Then I could swap my motor into your car. I'm a cheapskate and honestly would only pay a grand at most. I'd list it here and give it a try. Good luck!

Old 05-08-2018, 10:31 AM
Veteran Member
Received 858 Likes on 706 Posts

There are lots of breakers in the LA area with X308 JAGS: I would check to see what they would give you for the hulk. That's the best you can do. Most charities want cars that run!!

But, while on the phone, see if they have a motor. If it has good heads, have your machine shop determine whether you should swap motors or just the heads and related timing gear.

Assumes, of course, your car is a great car, less motor.