XJ XJ8 / XJR ( X308 ) 1997 - 2003

Wont start (I did search the forum)

Search this Thread

Old 10-29-2011, 10:02 AM
Veteran Member
Received 342 Likes on 296 Posts

I'm not sure why the starter was replaced -- was the car not cranking?

You need to take the car to someone who can do some basic testing on the engine -- fuel -- spark and considering the year ....a compression test. Throwing parts at the problem only gets expensive.

Modern ignition systems will fire plugs that are in terrible condition -- enough that the car will start .... but the reason the plugs are in bad shape is a bigger concern ..... I don't think the plugs are your problem.

Did you check the gas tank cap well. Having the drain line clog is a common problem on the x308 ........ is it possible that you got water in the tank? Is the filter still in place? The design of the drain and cap on the x300 was much better -- not sure why Jaguar changed the design.

Make sure the intake is not leaking -- and after you find out what the problem is .....get a replacement intake ........ even a small leak can cause problems.

Good luck!

Old 10-29-2011, 01:47 PM
Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

It has tried to fire after doing the oil in the cylinders trick but only briefly. I've had the best luck after removing the fuse for the fuel pump. Now I think my battery charger is taking a dump. I hate this car.

Old 10-29-2011, 02:40 PM
Gus
Veteran Member
Received 2,208 Likes on 1,700 Posts

Can you explain?

Originally Posted by dba-one
I I've had the best luck after removing the fuse for the fuel pump.

The following users liked this post:
dba-one (11-04-2011)
Old 10-29-2011, 03:48 PM

Yes. After removing the fuse no more fuel to the engine so it burned off what was in the cylinders (I know you have forgotten more about Jags so I'm not trying to talk down to you) that is the best way I can explain it.

Well, after countless attempts to start this thing she finally came to life in a huge cloud of smoke. Of course that is expected. It seems like wash was the issue from the start.

Now here is something new. The car runs great but the engine sounds like a beer can with ball bearings in it being rattled around. My hearing isn't very good so I can't pinpoint exactly where the sound is coming from. As near as I can tell it is coming from the top of the engine somewhere. I tried to listen at the front of the cam covers. It would figure a tensioner would let go just after overcoming this issue but the noise seems to be coming from an area closer to the firewall.

Old 10-29-2011, 04:28 PM
Gus
Veteran Member

That is not a problem; the best part of this is that you got it started. You have a few ways to check the knocking, you can use a automotive stethoscope or if you do not have one use a long screwdriver or dowel in the same way and see if you can locate the problem. Have you checked the oil recently? Regardless of what many think they do use oil and it should be checked often.

Old 10-29-2011, 05:10 PM

Oil level is good. My wife is a nurse so I'm going to use her stethoscope! Don't tell her.

Old 10-29-2011, 05:23 PM
Gus
Veteran Member

You do that and you might be in the dog house. My wife is still looking for the basting syringe I use to put hyd fluid in the car. Good Luck!

Old 10-29-2011, 06:27 PM

I bought a baster today just for this task so the wife wouldn't get mad

Old 10-30-2011, 02:32 PM

Get this, Yesterday I mentioned that rattling sound as you will recall. Today I picked up trying to figure out the source. I drove the car around a bit and stopped at a store. When I came back to start it the starter "whizzed" but then took hold. My office is just around the corner from where I was so I went there in case the car wouldn't start again and if it were there it would be better than on the side of the road, etc.

I leave the office and try to start the car. The starter is turning fine but it clearly not engaged with the rest of the motor. I got so mad I just called my wife to get me and walked away from the car before I did something I'd come to regret. It seems to me that the shop did not install the starter correct and that chatter I heard was the gears of the starter motor clashing with the contact to the engine. Perhaps I'm wrong about that but at this point not much else makes as much sense as my assessment.

The shop that did the install didn't have an hourly rate for labor for the car so they charged me $92 per + tax. They also have a policy about installing parts a customer brings in. I understand that but I have a receipt for the work. The plan is to call tomorrow and be a patient gentleman but I must insist that they check their work. They let me in the bay multiple times when the car was there so I want them to put it on the lift and together we will look at the starter. I will have a camera.

Again, I could be wrong about the situation but I doubt it and the poor guy at the shop was just trying to be nice. Still, I will be looking for solid proof that I'm wrong and baring that I'll seek recourse. If I am right I hope the shop is a fair place to deal with being a national chain and all. I'm not looking for trouble, just to be made right if they in fact made a mistake. Nothing more nothing less.

Anyone want to buy a Jag?

Old 10-30-2011, 03:47 PM
Gus
Veteran Member

I made this up for another person (2002 car) so only use it as a visual tool. If I understand you correctly your starter is turning on demand with the key but not engaging the flywheel. If that is the case and you replaced your starter I would be checking the battery for full power and or the flywheel for a bad spot where the starter is unable to engage. Also check your PM.

Attached Thumbnails Wont start (I did search the forum)-starter-aj27-n-.jpg  
Old 11-04-2011, 08:03 AM

Well, the car is back on the road and is such without drama. I didn't have time to deal with it until yesterday so the first thing I did was to go back to the shop that installed the starter to talk with them. I explained what happened and the manager wanted me to wait until today to talk to one of his people. The reason why is because he felt he was more "up to" working on Jags.

I thought that was fair but I decided I wanted my car back on the road this week so I called another shop that has done tires and other things on my cars over the years. This is the shop that would not install parts a customer brought in. I had the car towed there and they removed the new starter. Upon inspection it seems something internal was broken. Turning the gear that meets the flywheel gave no resistance! They replaced it with a new Bosch unit, used the old starter as a core and gave me back the new defective unit.

I returned that to the auto parts store where the manager there didn't give me a bit of static about it. Firestone charged $412 to install the new starter with labor and tax. Goodyear charged $92 to install the bad one and I paid $200 for the new starter that turned out defective. So I ate around 300 bucks on this. I'm just glad to have the car back on the road and with the new plugs and such she is running good. The next step is to add some 44K and Restore as Gus recommended.

Old 11-05-2011, 08:47 AM
Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by dba-one
The next step is to add some 44K and Restore as Gus recommended.

Whats that???

Old 11-05-2011, 08:56 AM
Received 6,256 Likes on 5,456 Posts