XJ XJ8 / XJR ( X308 ) 1997 - 2003

X308 stalls while driving. Then fuel delivery is disabled briefly

Search this Thread

Old 10-11-2018, 03:49 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default X308 stalls while driving. Then fuel delivery is disabled briefly

2002 Jaguar XJ8. I have had this car since 2007. It has a history of stalling while driving at any speed. Then when I attempt to start it up the fuel delivery system is inop. You know when you turn the key and you can hear the fuel injectors que up? Well nothing... just silence when you try to start. After 10-20 attempts at starting it finally roars to life. Only I get errors on the instrument cluster. Most common is the transmission fault. Then it drives in limp mode. Other faults are engine failure... I can’t remember all but I have seen several. Note there is no check engine light.

I have have changed the fuel pump, filter, alternator, and did all the things on hear that are suggested to solve this problem. In 2013 I got frustrated and dropped $800 on it at an independent shop in Lakewood, WA. Helmut at European Motors assured me that the problem was fixed... said there was a loose ground on the fire wall... that it was taken care of. Well, 3 days later... THUNK... It stalls on I5 going 70.

The car is great aside from the fact that it quits without warning! I got it at 38K miles and it just passed 100K. I have definitely got my money’s worth from it. If I can’t fix this thing I’m afraid it time to get rid of it. I can’t sell it without disclosing its fault. I just want to know if there is anyone out there that has had the same experience. And what did you do to fix it. This is a Hail Mary. I appreciate your input.

Old 10-11-2018, 04:47 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,317 Likes on 1,004 Posts

My initial thought since it stalls at highway speed and you have reworked the fuel system would be an intermittent failure of the crankshaft position sensor or the camshaft position sensor. It tells the ecu the engine is turning and the ecu controls the fueling. You could try disconnecting the camshaft position sensor and running the engine.The engine should run on a default ecu program on just the crankshaft position sensor. When the 2 sensors don'r sync it can cause an "engine failure" warning. The puzzling part is that you don't hear fuel pump running with the key in the on position for the first 5 seconds. The lack of initial fuel pump start up might indicate an intermittent failure in the ignition switch. The difficulty in diagnosing is not being present when the failure occurs.

Old 10-11-2018, 05:01 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default thank you

Originally Posted by David Heltzel
2002 Jaguar XJ8. I have had this car since 2007. It has a history of stalling while driving at any speed. Then when I attempt to start it up the fuel delivery system is inop. You know when you turn the key and you can hear the fuel injectors que up? Well nothing... just silence when you try to start. After 10-20 attempts at starting it finally roars to life. Only I get errors on the instrument cluster. Most common is the transmission fault. Then it drives in limp mode. Other faults are engine failure... I can’t remember all but I have seen several. Note there is no check engine light.

I have changed the fuel pump, filter, alternator, and did all the things on hear that are suggested to solve this problem. In 2013 I got frustrated and dropped $800 on it at an independent shop in Lakewood, WA. Helmut at European Motors assured me that the problem was fixed... said there was a loose ground on the fire wall... that it was taken care of. Well, 3 days later... THUNK... It stalls on I5 going 70.

The car is great aside from the fact that it quits without warning! I got it at 38K miles and it just passed 100K. I have definitely got my money’s worth from it. If I can’t fix this thing I’m afraid it time to get rid of it. I can’t sell it without disclosing its fault. I just want to know if there is anyone out there that has had the same experience. And what did you do to fix it. This is a Hail Mary. I appreciate your input.
Thank you

Old 10-11-2018, 06:29 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,351 Likes on 926 Posts

The first thing springing to mind is the inertia switch, which is directly related to a fuel cut-off.
Although no personal experience, I have read a story of a bad one (internal bad contact), causing intermittent stalls / no starts / etc.
It took them a looong time before finding it.

There could be other reasons though, maybe wise to buy a cheap OBD2 reader, install Torque Pro on your phone, and read the codes, before and after clearing them.