XJ XJ8 / XJR ( X308 ) 1997 - 2003

XJ Owners - Is it worth it? Cost of ownership?

Search this Thread

Old 08-13-2009, 12:26 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default XJ Owners - Is it worth it? Cost of ownership?

I've got a lease that's up in a few months, and I am pretty much of the mind that new cars are kind of a terrible expense. Losing thousands the first time you roll out of the lot, unreal depreciation, and so on make me feel like I just don't really need to drop $20-30k on a new car. I don't even feel like it's that "cool" owning a new car, either.

My current car has a decent set of semi-luxurious features, though, that I would like to have in whatever used car I get. A lot of older cars simply don't have those features. In my browsing around at various potential targets, I found that older XJ8s and XJRs are actually pretty affordable, and they generally seem to be well-maintained. XJ owners, it seems, really love their cars. They also seem to offer the kinds of features I'm looking for like heated leather seats, etc etc. I've also always kind of liked the long, low look of the classic XJ's Jaguar has produced.

Unfortunately, it seems like XJ's tend to have poor ratings according to most sources on reliability. Obviously, poor fuel efficiency is a factor also, but since my new commute will be pretty short, I'm not super worried about that. In general, the word on the street seems to be that these 98-03 era XJ's are extremly expensive cars to own, which may have something to do with the fact that they are fairly affordable these days.

So, in short, I'm asking you XJ8 owners out there - exactly how expensive is it to own an older XJ8?

If I can get a something like a well-maintained '01ish XJ8 for $7-9k with <80k miles, is the cost of ownership going to kill me?

Are repairs that frequent?

Are they really difficult/expensive to repair?

Whatever car I get, I am going to try to baby it as much as possible and ride it until it can't ride no more. The fact that my commute will be short is going to help. If it's going to be in the shop every month, though, needing expensive imported parts to repair, it may not be worth my time. I know what it's like to be a fan of something like this, and I'm sure you will all be biased to some degree, which I can certainly appreciate. At the same time, though, the posters on this forum seem very knowledgeable and capable of pointing me in the right direction. I think little niche forums like this, filled with experts in a given area, are an invaluable source of information on the internet, more so than any given Consumer Reports article, or so on. Any help you guys can provide would be much appreciated.

Thanks

Old 08-13-2009, 01:22 AM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Smile

keeping it simple,you get a lot of car for your money .
as you say basic spec is better than some top range fleet cars.

service history is vital,hopefully by a main dealer or a good independant garage,try to find a low miles full history car and check for major items being changed when due.

some things to remember, the nikasil engines do have some history of causing all sorts of problems,hence the need for a full service history.

saying that i brought a 1998 xj8 with 131000 miles on it with a full history,new mot,tax etc for just over £2000 here in the uk,and fingers crossed so far no problems in any department,and now upto 134k.

it still shows the boy racers a clean set of heels from the lights when the sport button is engaged,and the pedal near the carpet.p.s dont look at the instant fuel when doing the above,it will make your eyes water ie 6-7 mpg?

who cares ,go for it and enjoy the sheer pleasure of the drive and the looks that come with the car.

Old 08-13-2009, 04:02 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,064 Likes on 867 Posts

For the money you mentioned, I would go for a MY '02. Alll of the engine issues, including Nikasil and the timing chains were fixed. If you are not going to do at least the basic work yourself (brakes, fluids, belts, hoses, cleaning MAFs, throttle bodies) they will cost you some $$.

The following users liked this post:
dakico968 (03-02-2020)
Old 08-13-2009, 08:36 AM
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I think that since the introduction of auto parts on the internet, owning a jaguar got alot cheaper. I have owned several over the past 20+ years and know that parts cost have gone way down. I don't think the 98-03 xj is any more costly to repair than my chevrolet suburban, and no less reliable. I will say that they eat tires.

Owning and driving a jaguar is different than owning other cars. You have a relationship with a jaguar. Rather than owning one, you really keep one...sort of. I do all my own mechanic work on all my cars and must say that when I replace a part on a Jaguar, I always find my self saying "that is the way I would have done this" regarding the quality of the parts and the design of the system I am working on.

The cost to drive is a funny thing. My sister is a diehard Lexus fan. She came back from her 60K checkup the other day, which cost $1900, and talked about how reliable the car is, and about how she never has to spend money on it. I have not spent $1900 in the past three years on both of my xjrs together.

Good luck! (I would get an XJR if I were you...really fun, no less reliable)

Old 08-13-2009, 09:40 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,064 Likes on 867 Posts

John:
I agree with every word you wrote.

Old 08-13-2009, 10:29 AM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I agree...02 XJR here...bought at 78K...now has 87K...I put new tires on it and fixed a few bushes myself...otherwise has ben puurrrrfect! And I get 20-23mpg average...not that bad for 370hp!

The following users liked this post:
dakico968 (03-02-2020)
Old 08-13-2009, 12:13 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I just bought my 01' with 96K XJ8L with premium stereo,heated seats for $6,300.00 which included having the dealer install all new brakes/rotors upon pick up and a 3 month/3000miles warranty. I just changed the tensioners myself at a cost of $200.00 for all parts needed,so now she's ready for another 100K easy.

Old 08-13-2009, 02:11 PM
Veteran Member
Received 535 Likes on 337 Posts

'00 XJR. Bought as 1 owner, 82k miles. Now on 97k miles. Owned for 1.5 years

Maintenance costs = 1000USD. Serviced twice. Synthetic oil. (Included 1 set of front discs and pads)
Tires = 700USD
Extras = 500USD (Auto Dim Mirror failed..... I could very easily have replaced it with a standard non dip piece of glass for 20USD)
Breakdowns = 0
Warning lights = 0
MPG = 16 to 23
Admiring glances = thousands
Knowing that if you give it to a valet at a posh hotel they will ALWAYS park it out the front of the hotel beside the Ferraris, Lambos, etc = priceless

Old 08-14-2009, 12:18 PM
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I'd either buy an 02-03 or a 95-97.

Personally the 98-01s are prone to potentially hugely expensive engien problems, an 02-03 still is a cheap car and you avoid at LEAST spending a grand+ on tensioners and chains.

And if budget is a concern, X300s are VERY reliable and strong cars, I'd take a 96-97 over a 98-99 in a HEARTBEAT.

Old 08-14-2009, 05:39 PM

Alright guys, thanks for the input. I've still got a couple months before I have to seriously start checking out cars, but I guess I will keep the XJ8/R as an option if I can find a great deal on it. I've been watching craigslist, ebay, autotrader, etc right now as a bit of early research to give myself an idea of what I will find a couple months down the road. Here's a couple of XJs that caught my eye:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/2003-...=p4506.c0.m245

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/2001-...=p4506.c0.m245

http://chicago.craigslist.org/chc/ctd/1323273296.html

Again, I won't be buying anything for at least 2 months, but if I can find something similar to these at that time, with full service histories, etc, etc... I would be pretty interested.

Ideally, I would find an 02/03 XJ8 based on the reports on engine improvements in those models, but those seem to end up being >10k, which I would like to avoid. If I'm dropping more than 10k cash, I feel like I might as well just get a new car of some sort at 0% financing, you know?

Old 08-15-2009, 03:05 AM

Originally Posted by jingle_jangle
One more here...my '99 VDP with 112K and one little old lady (84 when she stopped driving) owner with a husband who absolutely babied it... I paid $5900.00 three months ago and have fixed a bulb and put in a cigar lighter fuse--the owner had it pulled when new and the lighters/ashtrays remain virgin. Paint and interior are as new.

Had a check engine light go on at 3 weeks of ownership, and it turned out to be a vac hose under the intake manifold; $1100.00 at the dealer but got a free checkup while it was there.

Ran the service records on the car and found out it had had over $7K spent on it about 6 months before she stopped driving and consigned it to the dealer I bought it from. This included upgraded tensioners, throttle body replacement and rear axle and brake work.

Took it on a 1200 mile trip last month and got 23 MPG average @ around 70-80 on the freeway in absolute comfort and peace.

Awhile back I owned a '69 Silver Shadow creampuff for five years, determined to keep it nice and 100% factory-functional. It averaged me $300.00/month maintenance for those five years, and was a joy to drive; entirely worth it if you ask me!

If the Jag (which is a better car in every way IMO and much more modern of a driver-pampering experience) averages about that, I'll consider it worthwhile, too.

Time will tell, my friends.
Well, this one isn't super encouraging...

Old 08-15-2009, 02:30 PM
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I have to say that this was not super encouraging because the old lady got more than a vaccuum hose from the dealer. On the one hand, alot of things that could go wrong in the future were fixed, while on the other, why the dealer would have a $1100 bill for finding and fixing a vaccuum link is a problem. This is why the car gets a bad rep. I know, for instance, when I bought a new jag a few years ago, the dealer would always find something wrong with it when I brought it in for a "free oil change." They would have you come in twice as often as the 10K service interval for a free oil change. They always claimed to find something wrong, like a bad water pump, a twisted brake line, etc., and fix it under warranty. I know my cars, and I know none of those things were ever wrong. When I brought it up, they gave me gift certificates for steak dinners at a high end restaraunt.

A dealer mechanic ought to be able to find a vaccuum link on a jaguar in ten minutes. If they can't they are robbing the customer. A good independent mechanic might take a couple of hours, if they don't exclusively work on Jags. $1100 is robbery.

As for the old lady who had the car before, I am sure they screwed her as well. My sister gave an old Volvo 960 to my son when he started to drive. She saved all of the reciepts for service over the years. She took it to the dealer, to make sure it was done right. They screwed her every time she went there to the tune of almost $20,000 in ten years. They sold her everything short of muffler bearings. The worst thing is that my sister thought she was being treated fairly, and thought the car was a very reliable car. She switched to Lexus a couple of years ago and the cycle is begining again.

If you don't work on cars, find a good independent mechanic. Develop a relationship with the mechanic. They are not free, and may not even be cheap, but if they are honest, you will save a boatload of money. If you do work on cars, working on a jaguar is a dream. Wonderful design, wonderful engineering, nothing on the cheap.

Old 08-15-2009, 10:24 PM
Received 71 Likes on 63 Posts

These cars are an absolute bargain, even the early V8s. If these have lasted this far they are good enough to examine the tensioners. Transmission problems will be obvious. You may spend some money on preventative maintenance and changing worn out parts.
For the most part, the quality of this car is much beyond regular cars.
Otherwise expect ordinary mid-size running costs for an extraordinary car.

Old 08-15-2009, 11:50 PM

I myself plan on a MY02/03 X308 XJR in the near future. As mentioned, most trouble spots are cured with the later production years. The price of upkeep may turn out to be a bit more than with a soulless domestic, but it's well worth it.

I think the X308 XJ captures perfectly what Jaguar was, and is. It's graceful, elegant, fast, sleek and understated. In my honest opinion, no other high-volume automotive manufacturer has managed to design and engineer cars like Jaguar.

My current BMW 5er is perfectly competent and nearly bulletproof. But unlike the X308, it has no quirks and a lot less soul. I'll use the interior design as my example; the interior in the BMW is cold and purposeful. The interior in the XJ is the polar opposite: warm, inviting, elegant and luxurious.

Well worth the small price to pay for such a great car.