XJ XJ8 / XJR ( X308 ) 1997 - 2003

xj8 pinpoint tests

Search this Thread

Old 07-29-2009, 01:25 PM
Received 70 Likes on 56 Posts

I am not sure I understand your question correctly, but hopefully this information will speak to it:

There are some pinpoint tests for various circuits that I have found on the JTID CD, one in particular is a step by step testing regime for the transmission solenoids. There are likely many circuit fault trees which are not included in tne JTIS, and yours may not be, depending on the nature of the fault you are trying to trace.

The Jaguar WDS and IDS diagnostic equipment software guides the user through pinpoint tests for most DTC's, and I do not know if this information is available through any other source. Perhaps what you have encountered is a directive in the JTIS to "perform pinpoint test"...that's what they are referring to, which means connecting a Jaguar portable test unit (PTU) for the procedure.

I have no experience with the Auto Enginuity system but my understanding is that, while capable of retreiving fault codes and streaming data from your Jaguar that most generic scanners cannot, it is not likely to have such testing regimes as the factory equipment. Pinpoint test with WDS requires connection of voltage probes etc. to provide sufficient inputs to satisfy each question that the software asks, and then it asks the next one. I don't think the AE can ask you the questions, or has capabilty of obtaining the answers.

That leads the choices of access to Jaguar proprietary equipment, or a wiring schematic and alot of time. I rely on all three to get me where I have to go, but I don't know of any other suggestions to help you get there.

If you would like to post the DTC you are trying to trace and a description of the problem and resultant symptoms, someone may be able to suggest a course of action. Tendancies become evident over time that can serve as a useful shortcut to comlete testing: some components routinely fail, some almost never do. Wiring harnesses are known to develop faults in particular locations, most others are nearly impervious to damage. An owner or someone like myself may have solved the same problem on another similar vehicle that you are now having with yours.

Old 07-29-2009, 02:52 PM
Received 70 Likes on 56 Posts

No, you and I are not on the same page for sure. It doesn't take a WDS prompt to make me check all fuses as a preliminary step to anything, and a cheap scanner to read generic codes is alot more of a pinpoint than you'd ever get poked with on an earlier model. There isn't anything you can't figure out with a schematic and a multi meter, it just takes longer and requires more deductive reasoning...so I'm not sure what you are looking for, but best of wishes finding it.