XJ XJ8 / XJR ( X308 ) 1997 - 2003

XJR-100 salvage or repair

Search this Thread

Old 09-05-2017, 03:41 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default XJR-100 salvage or repair

My XJR-100 has been deemed a total loss. What I thought was a minor fender bender when I first saw it turned out to be a punch to the adam's apple. The SUVs bumper was just high enough to miss the bumper and push the radiator support and everything else between the quarters back. Airbags didn't deploy, and the car was driveable and still would be but for the teardown. So now I'm in the unfortunate position of deciding whether to fix my car, sell it for salvage, or run it in the next 24 hours of LeMons. But for the accident, my car is in very nice shape. I've been running 18 inch BBS Milans and have the Montreals in the garage. What's your advice? Is there a market for XJR-100 parts? Thanks in advance. Cab

Attached Thumbnails XJR-100 salvage or repair-20170902_110053.jpg  
Old 09-05-2017, 04:47 PM
Veteran Member
Received 470 Likes on 352 Posts

Fix it, and fix it properly. The 100's are where the big money will be once the X308 cruises comfortably into full classic status.

Old 09-05-2017, 06:57 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,351 Likes on 926 Posts

I agree with Stu here, although we all have to wait and see if that big money will ever happen.

Damage is hard to judge from a small picture, but it looks a rather straight and symmetrical hit.
Start pulling parts, see where the damage ends, and go from there.

I think there were 1 or 2 other XJR-100 owners with the same experience here on the form, as far as I remember at least one repaired his.
Used parts are relative cheap, labor might be an other story, depending what you can do yourself.

Old 09-05-2017, 07:26 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,019 Likes on 740 Posts

Repair the rare !

Old 09-06-2017, 02:32 AM
Received 145 Likes on 92 Posts

Repair it since it's one of the rare! I'd love to do it, if get it shipped over to my place

Can't tell from tha small pic how bad the damage is, but maybe you're already good with pulling the engine and doing some metalwork. I think it might be a good idea to keep it and do the repair slowly, if it's a matter of money.

Old 09-06-2017, 06:36 PM
Received 16 Likes on 12 Posts

When I was a kid, I was an insurance adjuster. I tend to think they estimated this using a broad brush. For one thing, the adjuster probably didn't want to deal with it over time. Second, the salvage value is pretty big, so that limits how much they can spend to repair. I'd be inclined to do a repair. You have to figure out if you want to do it yourself or not; a body shop doesn't want to get involved half way through. If you do it yourself, you want to strip it of all the damaged components and then have a frame shop or big body shop straighten or replace the inner panels to spec. After that it's locating good used parts and assembling them (I would paint the inner panels first.) Take a cash-out settlement so that the insurance company doesn't report it as a total loss to the regulating motor vehicle authority or you will have a clouded title. Your choice. Consider how much of a project you want to, or can, take on. Good luck.

Old 09-06-2017, 07:03 PM
Received 27 Likes on 21 Posts

Definitely fix it. Would be a shame to see another one of these go to the big racetrack in the sky. Good luck m8

Old 09-06-2017, 07:27 PM
Received 128 Likes on 86 Posts

I agree with the rest of the posts to fix it. But, if you decide to go to salvage, I'll take the back seat cushion and the wheels !!

Mark
(Guess what model Jaguar I have)

Old 09-07-2017, 06:05 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,341 Likes on 1,057 Posts

100% repair. I've said my piece on these cars before on the forum, but I'll add that Jaguar have only made one Limited Edition XJ.
The last time Jaguar released 100 black cars it was for the Series III V12 E Type Roadster and, well these cars are at the very least 2 to 3 times the value of a standard car.
At some point they will become classics and the 100 will be top of the heap.

The repair is relatively straight forward. I've included a bare chassis picture of what I started with when I rebuilt mine, it may be of help on what you need. Personally I'd strip it back and use a Port-A-power ram to straighten it!
Of course Good Luck and if you need any advice on going forward, I'm your man

Attached Thumbnails XJR-100 salvage or repair-dscf3822-medium-.jpg  

Last edited by Sean B; 09-07-2017 at 06:08 AM.
Old 09-08-2017, 12:08 PM
Veteran Member
Received 77 Likes on 70 Posts

Originally Posted by ericjansen
I think there were 1 or 2 other XJR-100 owners with the same experience here on the form, as far as I remember at least one repaired his.
Used parts are relative cheap, labor might be an other story, depending what you can do yourself.
Yeah, and the other guy with a smashed XJR-100 was from NYC like me, and he parted his it out despite my attempts to send him to a reasonably-priced local repair shop.

Your photo is tiny, but from what I can see it looks like there nothing is wrong with the car, just missing front-end parts. If that is indeed the case, this is a no-brainer, go on eBay, buy a salvage bumper, bonnet, headlights, etc. and bolt the new ones and keep the car.

Old 09-10-2017, 10:37 AM
Received 54 Likes on 48 Posts

if miles are low or you really like it,fix it.if your handy with tools fix it with used parts.with a port-a power you need to push off of something in the engine compartment,you'd be better off using two com-alongs to pull off a stationary object while using a sledge hammer and block of wood.i would use com-along process,steve.

Old 09-10-2017, 11:32 AM
Veteran Member
Received 775 Likes on 466 Posts

I have a 98xj8 parts car with an intact front end. I know the grill is different but I think most of the other patrs are interchangeable. I'm planning to go from CA to North Carolina in the next few weeks. I was planning to go the northern route but can take the southern route and bring the parts buy to save on shipping. Send me a PM if that interests you. The last thing I would want to see is that car sold for scrap. Hell if you want to do that I might buy it from you and get it back on the road.

Old 09-10-2017, 01:16 PM
Received 113 Likes on 101 Posts

Originally Posted by BobRoy
I have a 98xj8 parts car with an intact front end. I know the grill is different but I think most of the other patrs are interchangeable. I'm planning to go from CA to North Carolina in the next few weeks. I was planning to go the northern route but can take the southern route and bring the parts buy to save on shipping. Send me a PM if that interests you. The last thing I would want to see is that car sold for scrap. Hell if you want to do that I might buy it from you and get it back on the road.
If OP doesn't take you up on the offer I've got a 100 in CT that I'm about to part but I'd rather not. Car came from CA. Runs, moves. I also have some of the correct grille and SC radiator for it. Anyone interested PM me.

Old 09-11-2017, 12:08 PM

Sincerely appreciate the input from you guys. The quarters aren't shoved back, but the hood was because the rad support where the hinges bolt was moved back. There's a tiny stress crease on the RHS quarter panel in the channel where the hood meets. Otherwise, the radiator support and all the little parts that hand on it will need replacing. And a hood because it is ever so slightly creased. I love the car and spent lots of money to maintain and improve it. Both front dampers have fewer than 10k miles, and I had the heads flowed, ported, and polished in 2012 along with all the other stuff you would do if you planned to keep it forever. You all know how sweet these engines are. This one runs out beautifully. All paint was original, and I removed the 19 inch wheels and installed the 18s to get a more forgiving ride and the Montreals need refinishing. One is bent. All the work was done by JagTechs here in Austin. There is nobody better around here. I don't have the time or equipment to do this work myself at this point in my life. I hate saying that and wish things were different. If someone wants the car, let me know. I will take a reasonable offer instead of parting it out or sending it to auction. Thanks again for the input. Cab

Old 09-11-2017, 06:23 PM
Veteran Member
Received 152 Likes on 131 Posts

Yeah. That's me crushing the xjr100 last year. Still bleeding in my heart. But the
Subframe was bent. I don't drive nor fix Bent cars.no one in this whole world feels the exact same emotion as I do to you

Last edited by vincent661983; 09-11-2017 at 06:27 PM.
Old 09-12-2017, 05:32 AM
Old 09-12-2017, 07:48 AM
Received 152 Likes on 113 Posts

I had more damage than that (well, not the bumper damage) from hitting a deer 18 months ago. With a new hood and a slide hammer adjustment of that bent front crosspiece, you should be golden. I definitely vote for fixing it now after seeing those pictures. Vincent's pictures are different, crushed sub-frames are difficult to ever put back right, your damage is very fixable.

Old 09-12-2017, 01:02 PM
Veteran Member
Received 470 Likes on 352 Posts

If I was in the USA I'd bite your hand off to get that off you if you're not going to fix it. Looks in good condition inside. Shame.

Old 09-12-2017, 08:59 PM
Veteran Member
Received 152 Likes on 131 Posts

Originally Posted by cabrachian

your frame is straight unlike my xjr100. Fix it.

Old 09-13-2017, 11:41 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,341 Likes on 1,057 Posts

As I thought on seeing those pictures, a set of hammers and knowing where to tap would get that 100%.
One of the few cars left I've seen with the SVO coachline.