XJ XJ8 / XJR ( X308 ) 1997 - 2003

XJR 99' restoration

Search this Thread

Old 05-27-2014, 04:30 AM
Received 85 Likes on 70 Posts
Default restoration

You have done an amazing job with this restoration.
Regarding the toe in adjustment on the rear suspension, it is adjusted via an eccentric bolt which connects the hub to the the wishbone.
The shims on the half shafts are used to adjust the camber.
Be careful when cleaning the motor, people have had problems with knock sensors when they get too wet; and it is a blower off job to replace them.

Old 05-27-2014, 04:31 PM
Received 221 Likes on 172 Posts

Originally Posted by Rostman
I choose CD and it works also if there is now magazine in the CD changer.
And you are right about the wiring. It looks like you need to connect just 3 cables (R, L and ground) somewhere inside the radio. Nothing more was there. So this adaptor is a waste of money.
Interesting... do you need a cd in there as well, or just the magazine?

Old 05-28-2014, 05:21 AM
Received 32 Likes on 29 Posts

Rostman awesome job on the restoration process! Clean engine bay! Seats look great and I'm sure the koni's are giving you the ride you knew you should get!

Old 05-28-2014, 02:45 PM
Received 69 Likes on 57 Posts

Nice job Rostman, I was hoping I am not the only one investing a lot in an old Jag (just covered the front seats with new leather).
How did you refurbed the tread-plates? Sandblasting or wire brushing?

Old 05-28-2014, 06:04 PM
Received 115 Likes on 72 Posts

Rostman, I am inspired with your dedication to restore the Jag. I live in the States and we replaced vehicles like swapping underwear everyday. We take these vehicles for granted. I am currently own a 1997 XJ6 and so far accumulated 92,000 miles. I bought it used decade ago with 32,000 miles. I am fortunate that only repairs so far are just typical replacing tires, worn shocks, brake pads , inside rear mirror etc.. Just reading your post make me want to spent more time of upkeep the current Jaguar instead of buying another one. Used X308 can be purchase in the US ranging from couple thousand to $10,000 US dollars. I have my target on a super nice 2000 XJ8 for sale locally with only 45,000 miles for $6,000.00. Keep up the great restore and enjoy your ride.

Old 05-28-2014, 07:25 PM
Received 19 Likes on 19 Posts

Next winter you may consider purchasing used VDP rims. the 235/50/17' will provide a more comfortable ride for you and the car...
Be sure it wasn't look like Mercedes when i get home )))
It's a big problem in Russia. A lot of dust on the roads so if you need it clean in the winter you must washed it several times in a day.
Shoes are dirty, jeans are dirty. Terrible.
Usually in a winter it looks like this:

And i wish to come with the Jag to the UK for 30 years celebration of JEC

Old 05-28-2014, 07:32 PM

I am starting to like these rims very much...The back BBS fits your car...
Some updates. Get a new spare ski slope dash veneer board birds eye maple.

Bought a new open trunk button.

And send for the restoration door wood to the Ukraine but from last news i can feel that i will never get it back

Try to wash the engine and drive the Jag to the garage.

Now it is better but doesn't look best. I few more washes will make it shine.
In the Garage said guys to replace tail lamps. I have restored the right lamp with crack so they will put this one till a new one is shipping from the UK.
And said them to make everything look clean under the hood. Replace some tubes (it can be seen there are some repares from previous owner). To put bolts what are missing.
To check the air conditioning because it looks like it doen't work well.
And to replace all suspension bushes and make wheel alighment.

Also gets a new climate control

After some time i'd come to check the car. New lamps installed.

Somewhere put cables inside the wire.

Cables what left will be done when hoses will be replacing. Supercharger will be teking off so it would be space to do this everything.

And also asked them to put original clamps on the hoses but i can't find them anyware in stock. And also jagclassicparts and sngbarratt are telling they are no longer availible.

I need tose ones.

Tey said there must be some caps on the dampers. I will oreder this also.

This is temperature sensor inside the cabin motor what caused the problems with airconditioning. On cable was cuted off. Looks like it has a shortcut inside so they just cut off to solve it. Put a new one there and now everything works fine.

And then i out my hands inside the car to replace the climate panel.
Old one.

All the holders were totaly cracked and glued with some ****.

Scratched button.

Those lamps in the climate is real horror. Really tired replacing them.

But now everyhing looks great!

Also V8 badges nust be replaced with a new one.Так же сказал, чтобы поменяли значки V8 по бокам.

The iPod interface what i bought on dicsountstereo.com i get wrong. I haven't got amplifier so i ordered the set for stereo without amplifier. And i get the set for stereo with ampilifier. The difference between them them is just in the place where you must plug it in. With usual stereo you must plug it in to the back of the stereo, with amplifier in to the back of the CD changer. The problem when you are pluging it to the changer is tjat you must pull the cable along all car.

And the biggest problem is rear right wheel alighment. Rear left is -47 minutes, the right rear is -6 minutes. I asked why it is like it is but didn't get any answer. I now that there are spacers on the half shafts with what you can do alighment but guys in the garage said there is now any spacer. They said me not ot be worried because everything is in the limit but it doen't suit to me so i asked them to find the problem.

[/QUOTE]

Old 05-28-2014, 07:50 PM

don't feel bad bro, if you had $20,000 you could do this as well. This is a fascinating thread. I am absolutely impressed. The replacement of the headliner is my absolute favorite...
Originally Posted by grandell
Wow. This makes me feel a bit sad about all of the little defects on my car!

Looks like you've done a great job with the stereo too. With the Ipod adaptor, what do you select on the stereo to chose the Ipod? I had a quick look at the adaptor you cut up, and the wiring diagram, and it looks like it just splices into the inputs that are already there. Was there anything more to it than that? It looks like it would be quite simple to splice something in yourself, rather than buying the adaptor.

Old 05-28-2014, 07:57 PM

Rostman,

Thank you again for your thread. I hope you continue your work into performance after the interior/exterior/suspension etc is completed.
Since money appears to be no hindrance to your XJR resto.
Below is some pics off of Minagallery in Reseda, California.

The below pic is the lower mesh grille. Mine arrived today and the quality is excellent. FYI-- NOT my car in pics.

Attached Thumbnails XJR 99' restoration-xjmeshth1.jpg  
Old 05-29-2014, 02:18 AM
Received 64 Likes on 30 Posts

Originally Posted by grandell
Interesting... do you need a cd in there as well, or just the magazine?
As i try you don't need some CD or magazine in there at all. But to be sure i need to check it one more time. Pretty sure about no CD. Need to check magazine.

Old 05-29-2014, 02:20 AM

Originally Posted by Zorasmiles
Rostman awesome job on the restoration process! Clean engine bay! Seats look great and I'm sure the koni's are giving you the ride you knew you should get!
I will get OEM CATS shocks in some time delivered from UK so the Koni's are just for some short period of time. But anyway they are much better then old died Kayaba.

Old 05-29-2014, 02:24 AM

Originally Posted by flay
Nice job Rostman, I was hoping I am not the only one investing a lot in an old Jag (just covered the front seats with new leather).
How did you refurbed the tread-plates? Sandblasting or wire brushing?
I get it sandblasted and then covered with some special paint and mat varnish. I couldn't find the plce where i can get it made original way aluminium oxidation). So big country Russia is but all the factories are closed. In this case i wish to live in America. A lot of small companies where you can do everything you want.
But you need to be very carefull with sandblasting. If the granuleы will be to big or to firm it can make a holes in the treadplate and you will damage it.
You can dry iceblasting. It might be better.

Old 05-29-2014, 02:32 AM

Originally Posted by annamiata
Rostman, I am inspired with your dedication to restore the Jag. I live in the States and we replaced vehicles like swapping underwear everyday. We take these vehicles for granted. I am currently own a 1997 XJ6 and so far accumulated 92,000 miles. I bought it used decade ago with 32,000 miles. I am fortunate that only repairs so far are just typical replacing tires, worn shocks, brake pads , inside rear mirror etc.. Just reading your post make me want to spent more time of upkeep the current Jaguar instead of buying another one. Used X308 can be purchase in the US ranging from couple thousand to $10,000 US dollars. I have my target on a super nice 2000 XJ8 for sale locally with only 45,000 miles for $6,000.00. Keep up the great restore and enjoy your ride.
Yes i know that. Salarys in US are so big and everything is so cheap. Like you can get Levis jeans in the Sears for $25 and the same jeans in Moscow will be $150. Cars are very cheap. I remember we were in Boston or Chigaco and went to the BMW dealer (we have several 750Xi and 550Xi GT). We were so impressed about the prices. 750Xi costs there aprox $90.000. We bought the same car in Russia for $200.000.
Ford Mustang GT500 convertible aprox $50.000 in US. If you will import it into the Russia it will cost you more then $100.000.
The prices on X308 in Russia are starting from $5.000 to $30.000.

Old 05-29-2014, 02:35 AM

Originally Posted by Rlover
Next winter you may consider purchasing used VDP rims. the 235/50/17' will provide a more comfortable ride for you and the car...
I have set of 17' wheels for winter but the tyres are 225/55 17 i think. I have the same style rims for summer and winter. The difference is just in the sizes: 19 vs. 17.

Winter set up

Summer set up

Old 05-29-2014, 02:42 AM
Received 221 Likes on 172 Posts

As i try you don't need some CD or magazine in there at all. But to be sure i need to check it one more time. Pretty sure about no CD. Need to check magazine.
That would be great, thanks
I guess the easy way to tell is by looking at what is displayed on the headunit. If it says "no disk", but still plays music, then I think we have a winner

Old 05-29-2014, 03:19 AM

After headliner lining was replaced i realized that sunroof do not stoping in the closed position. I was trying to program that with holdind sunroof button nut it doesn't help. So i came to the forum to look how it cn be fixed.
Thanks to Mr.motocarman (Jaguar Forums - Jaguar Enthusiasts Forum - View Profile: motorcarman) i find it can't be done that way on X308 and i need to find where SRCM unit is. I decided to left it to do later.
Yesterday i went to install small video camera into the car and when i took off roof panel SRCM unit falls out so it was very investigation where this unit was

That's great! Thanks to the TSB 13-39 i allready knew that white dots must be sinchronised.

Put it on place. Looks like when headliner was installing SRCM holders uncliped and it was the reason why sunroof wasn't stoping in close postion.
Tested and now everthing works fine.

Put camera on place also as it was what i want to done first.

And UPS delivered today new gear selector module (it takes two monthes to be delivered from UK).

It looks like they stop making "fluffy" rubber inside the selector.

Also ll the lamps for climate control unit.

Last edited by Rostman; 05-29-2014 at 03:23 AM.
Old 05-29-2014, 06:53 PM

BBS mesh wheels are my all time favorite. Your BBS looks amazing on the Jag. The BBS mesh aluminium alloy is very soft and easily bent or damage. I actually have three sets of BBS for my Miata Roadster. Maybe I will run into a BBS wheels for the jag somewhere soon.

Old 06-02-2014, 01:56 PM

New gear selector take it's place.

Change all bulbs in the climate control unit.
Old ones.

Put everything everything together and it looks beautifull.

Then took Sonax.

This is what was before. Some plastic was with white marks.

All looked like this.

Now everything so nice and clean.

Took off the intake manifold to paint everything behind it.

After painting

There is no much difference on the photos but in real defference is really amazing. Everything looks like new.

Also take off antiscratch film from the tread plate inserts.

Now car is ready for the Moscow-London trip.

Old 06-03-2014, 09:11 PM

make sure take a photos log and post it along the way if u not kidding about driving to London. That's only a dream for the rest of us.

The following users liked this post:
Rlover (06-04-2014)
Old 06-04-2014, 03:34 AM

Originally Posted by annamiata
make sure take a photos log and post it along the way if u not kidding about driving to London. That's only a dream for the rest of us.
I was thinking about small video from GoPro camera but i'm so lazy to do that

Quick Reply: XJR 99' restoration