XJ XJ8 / XJR ( X308 ) 1997 - 2003

XJR Ebay Transmission Dipstick Use

Old 03-28-2011, 02:39 PM
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Default XJR Ebay Transmission Dipstick Use

One of the mysteries of owning a XJR is how to properly measure the transmission fluid level without having to purchase the expensive Jag Tool. I purchased one of the dipstick tools sold on ebay, but I found that the Ebay tool is about 2 feet longer than normal. I could not get an accurate reading with the dipstick due to it's length so I took another approach. During the removal of the locking sleeve on the trans that so many others have dealt with, I decided to remove the dipstick tube to get an accurate measurement to ensure I could find the appropriate fluid level.

1. I removed the tube and inserted the Ebay stick until the graduation marker stuck through the end.

2. I then measured from the top of the dipstick tube plane opening to the bottom of the trans pan.

3. I then inserted a thin rod though the tube opening until it touched the bottom of the pan. Marking the rod at the top of the tube opening

4. I used the rod marking to adjust the new dipstick so that the correct length of the marker was sticking out of the bottom of the tube.

5. I then painted a band on the Ebay dipstick at the top of the tube opening so I would know how far to insert the stick into the tube for an accurate reading.

I apologize for the length of the procedure, but I can now inform those needing this info the the correct length is 27 5/8". Remembering though that the level will be about 2.5" from the bottom of the pan. Hope this helps.
XJR Ebay Transmission Dipstick Use-201_1008.jpg

XJR Ebay Transmission Dipstick Use-201_1009.jpg

XJR Ebay Transmission Dipstick Use-201_1010.jpg

Old 03-28-2011, 03:00 PM
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Say... Can I borrow that? J/K!

Old 03-28-2011, 03:53 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,333 Likes on 1,053 Posts

The Jag tool is 74.5cm from cold level marker to top - 29 5/16" does that match your cold level?

Old 03-28-2011, 04:25 PM

Originally Posted by Sean B
The Jag tool is 74.5cm from cold level marker to top - 29 5/16" does that match your cold level?
No, not even close to the same. From my physical measurements I would be at 27.5" for cold. Did Jaguar ever increase their capacity specs?

Old 03-28-2011, 04:44 PM
Received 15 Likes on 9 Posts

Here is some helpfull info on changing oil in a 722.6 transmission :

http://tech.bentleypublishers.com/se...0necessary.pdf

And a very cheap source of original Shell trans oil , in Germany ....
Anough for 2 oil changes , and that for only $160,-

Shell ATF 3403 M115 20 Liter

Old 03-28-2011, 05:34 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,333 Likes on 1,053 Posts

Originally Posted by TN8Shooter
No, not even close to the same. From my physical measurements I would be at 27.5" for cold. Did Jaguar ever increase their capacity specs?
No I don't think so - from memory there is a gap, I'll measure it and report back tomorrow, if it's the near 2" difference your spot on.

Old 03-28-2011, 05:56 PM

Is the gap located between the top of the tube opening and the bottom of the tool handle?

Old 03-28-2011, 06:12 PM
Received 46 Likes on 36 Posts

That tool looks like the one I have for POS mercedes benzes with the 722.6. I dont like it because the plastic end flexes too much and just bends itself against the bottom of the pan. They should have made the entire thing out of spring-like metal with paint marks for levels.

Does the XJR have the ZF 5HP24? If so, this is good info because checking the transmission fluid is ridiculous on the regular XJ8. I was not aware that it had a dip stick and I have been all around the transmission.

Old 03-28-2011, 07:02 PM
Veteran Member
Received 2,166 Likes on 1,610 Posts

Originally Posted by ixj8it
That tool looks like the one I have for POS mercedes benzes with the 722.6. I dont like it because the plastic end flexes too much and just bends itself against the bottom of the pan. They should have made the entire thing out of spring-like metal with paint marks for levels.
There is a cheap on on the ebay.co.uk site which is basically the old plastic coated clothsline with a metal tip which has coloured shrink tube for the various markings. A very clever and efficient design. $10 or so after currency conversion.

Does the XJR have the ZF 5HP24? If so, this is good info because checking the transmission fluid is ridiculous on the regular XJ8. I was not aware that it had a dip stick and I have been all around the transmission.
The transmission is a WSA580 aka 722.6 variant. Also found in Chrysler Crossfires, Chrysler 300, Sprinter Vans, Dodge Challenger, and other assorted vehicles. When used in Chrysler vehicles the spec is Chrysler ATF4+ fluid. The additive package has now been made available for licence and ATF4+ is now available from a number of packagers including Mobil.

The Chrysler and AMG hotrodders routinely replace a few valve body parts for *much* firmer shifts. Up and down. It is judged to be good enough for 700 bhp at the flywheel.

Last edited by plums; 03-28-2011 at 07:08 PM.
Old 03-28-2011, 09:37 PM

Originally Posted by plumsauce
There is a cheap on on the ebay.co.uk site which is basically the old plastic coated clothsline with a metal tip which has coloured shrink tube for the various markings. A very clever and efficient design. $10 or so after currency conversion.

The transmission is a WSA580 aka 722.6 variant. Also found in Chrysler Crossfires, Chrysler 300, Sprinter Vans, Dodge Challenger, and other assorted vehicles. When used in Chrysler vehicles the spec is Chrysler ATF4+ fluid. The additive package has now been made available for licence and ATF4+ is now available from a number of packagers including Mobil.

The Chrysler and AMG hotrodders routinely replace a few valve body parts for *much* firmer shifts. Up and down. It is judged to be good enough for 700 bhp at the flywheel.
That is good info on the stick, as soon as this one makes me meet my wits end, I will probably purchase one. I had no idea the XJRs had different transmissions. Looks like the stick will "work" on quite a few different vehicles.

Old 03-29-2011, 01:40 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,062 Likes on 759 Posts

There is a stop on the dipstick, I have marked that with the red arrow. From there you need to measure (ie the green arrows).

Old 03-29-2011, 05:58 AM

Originally Posted by ixj8it

No, the XJR and XJ8 have different transmissions. The XJR has a Benz sourced 722.6.

Old 03-29-2011, 06:13 AM

Originally Posted by avos
There is a stop on the dipstick, I have marked that with the red arrow. From there you need to measure (ie the green arrows).

Argh!!! I didn't notice the stop until you pointed it out. Sure enough it's on my stick. Does that actually prevent the stick from going all the way into the tube hole?

Old 03-30-2011, 01:56 AM
Received 15 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by TN8Shooter
Argh!!! I didn't notice the stop until you pointed it out. Sure enough it's on my stick. Does that actually prevent the stick from going all the way into the tube hole?

I think it does .
I remember reading somewhere that the dipstick is not touching the pan while
measuring.

It feels and sound that way , but that is the stop hitting something.

Old 03-30-2011, 05:00 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,062 Likes on 759 Posts

There is a ring in the gearbox where the mentioned thicker part of the dipstick will stop. It never touches the bottom pan of the box.

Old 03-30-2011, 06:13 AM
Veteran Member
Received 342 Likes on 296 Posts

The "R" does have the Mercedes box as well as the dip-tube hidden under the center plastic engine cover.

Old 03-30-2011, 12:31 PM

On Mercedes cars, I know that stop doesnt work and it will go all the way in the transmission, collapse, and lay down on the bottom of the pan. This in turn gives you an overfilled reading, even though it is not overfilled. If the stop actually worked, the transmission services wouldn't be a pain at all. I am glad to see this isnt a problem on the XJR though.

Old 09-23-2019, 01:40 PM
Received 11 Likes on 7 Posts

I am trying to source a dipstick for my XJR (WA580 gearbox) locally (Spain) or at least in Europe.
There a couple of listings, but I am not sure with any of them if they are the correct ones.
In a service manual of the gearbox (NAG1) they mention a dipstick "9336". On Amazon I find several models mentioning 9336 917-327 (whatever that may mean).
Could that be right?
Or how long should the dipstick be?

Considering the method of TN8shooter. Since I am going to remove the pan to change the filter, would it be possible to make the measurement of the dipstick without removing the tube?
How far should the dipstick push through or stay clear of the bottom of the pan?

Old 09-23-2019, 03:21 PM
Received 7,849 Likes on 4,749 Posts

The Mercedes tool is about 4 feet long and is less than $10 US here in North America from eBay sellers.
Just type Mercedes 722.6 dipstick tool into a search on the internet or you can call a Mercedes repair shop and ask them to check/top-up the level?

bob

Old 09-23-2019, 06:16 PM
Veteran Member
Received 841 Likes on 591 Posts

Originally Posted by VivaJag
Or how long should the dipstick be?
Since I am going to remove the pan to change the filter, would it be possible to make the measurement of the dipstick without removing the tube?
How far should the dipstick push through or stay clear of the bottom of the pan?
The length of the dipstick does not matter because it is inserted until it hits the bottom of the gearbox pan. It is somewhat longer than really required and quite a bit of it sticks out of the dipstick tube when it hits the bottom.

You don't need to remove the dipstick tube or do any measurements, just have to be sure that the dipstick has hit the bottom when checking the fluid level. Insertion of the dipstick is a bit tricky because the tube has bends and the dipstick will have resistance at a few points on the way down, the last one being just a couple of inches before hitting the bottom. You will have to wiggle/rotate it to go pass the resistances. What I did was: I inserted the dipstick (for the first time) before I poured in new fluid. In this way, I could listen to the sound from the (empty) pan when the dipstick hits it. After I heard the "hit" the first time, I pulled the dipstick back about an inch and pushed it down again a few times, listening to the "bonk" to make sure I have really hit the bottom. Then I put a red paint mark on the dipstick corresponding to the top of the dipstick tube.

In my case, the mark is at 704 mm measured from the tip of the dipstick.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: XJR Ebay Transmission Dipstick Use