XJ XJ8 / XJR ( X308 ) 1997 - 2003

XJR memory seat problem??? pls help

Search this Thread

Old 02-15-2010, 02:07 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default XJR memory seat problem??? pls help

hi everyone

i have 2000 model xjr but recently when i enter the car and put the key in the seat does not move forward and when i take the key out the seat does not move back...

also when i press memory button 1, 2 or 3 it wont move to set positions, however the buttons on the seat do work and move the seat to desired position now when....

i do that and i take the key in or out the seat moves until and i say until i lock the car with remote after that its back to square one...

this happend for the last couple of weeks,

what could it be? remote? memory seat buttons on the door???

thank you for reading appreciate and replies ans sorry if i have confused anyone...

regards

Old 02-15-2010, 06:45 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,110 Likes on 932 Posts

The first easy test is to swap the seat modules found under both the driver and passenger seats. There is also a control module in the driver door and the body control module to consider.

But first, do a cold, hard boot of all the systems by removing the negative terminal off the battery, touching the cable end to the positive terminal of the battery and then reattaching the cable to the negative post.

The car's electronics are also sensitive to battery voltage. Make sure you have a good battery, properly charged.

Old 02-16-2010, 10:38 AM

thank you for reply a few questions the control module in the door how can i test if its defective or not? and also is the body control module in the door aswell?

also is what should a good batter read with a multi meter/volt meter to determine whether battery is good or not?

and thirdly am i right in thinking you said take the negative cable on and touch it to the positive terminal and the reconnect the negative cable?

only asking coz i dont want to do anything wrong and cause an explosion...

thank you for your time and help

regards

Old 02-16-2010, 10:42 AM

also do i touch the negative cable on the positive post while the positive cable is connected to that post...

cheers buddy

Old 02-16-2010, 12:34 PM
Veteran Member

Leave the positive cable on the battery. Touch the negative, ground, cable to the positive post. That will drain all the little capacitive voltages out of all the electronics.

A charged battery should read 12.6v plus or minus. With the engine running it should measure 14.5 plus or minus. The electronics do not like voltages below 10.0 even if the starter will rotate the engine.

There is a module in the door, another under each seat and the BCM is in the dash. After the battery it is on to the module in the door as most likely villain . Connection or defective.

Old 02-16-2010, 04:45 PM

ok cheers mate first i'll check the battery voltage and then i will do the hard reset like you've instructed...

hopefully that works if not i will move onto the control modules ... i'll keep you posted thank you your help...

will have to learn hot to gain access to th door module ones under the seat should not be too much of a prob....

regards

Old 02-16-2010, 04:51 PM

also test point just wanted to quickly ask you, i use the car lets say once a week and i noticed after putting in mobil 1 esp oil 5w 30 when i start the car it gives out a blueish smoke for about 5 seconds after that its fine, drives fine no smoke etc even if i start it a few hours later no smoke at all and instant start, its only after a week the smoking happens when fired up?

is that bad or very bad?

cheers

Old 02-16-2010, 05:49 PM
Veteran Member

Caused by leaking a little oil into the cylinders over a prolonged idle time, probably from the valve stem seals. Years ago this was a much more common problem.

Not a terrible problem.

Obviously, the solution is to drive the Jaguar more often.

Old 02-16-2010, 08:31 PM
Gus
Veteran Member
Received 2,208 Likes on 1,700 Posts

I found on my 93xj-s 4.0 that I had the same problem you do. I changed the oil from 5w30w to 10w40w and the blue smoke went away. The valve guides/seals were the problem and I latter had them replaced when the head gasket was replaced. I guess I was lucky.

Old 02-17-2010, 12:23 PM

ok thanks for reply guys so this smoking on start up wont require a head gasket or rebuild???

going to have a look at the modules on the weekend keep you all informed,

strange things happen i tell ya, few days ago i thought i imagined it but today it confirmed that sometimes randomly one of the doors will unlock, i return to the car and will see one door pin in the up unlock position...

wonder if this has anything to do with voltage or one of the modules????

regards

Old 02-17-2010, 01:29 PM
Veteran Member

The electronics in this car do not enjoy voltages below 10v. That level is easily achievable with a failing battery even if the starter will still rotate the engine. The control modules loose their memory and strange, unexplainable things happen.

Old 02-22-2010, 06:13 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,343 Likes on 1,057 Posts

Originally Posted by test point
The electronics in this car do not enjoy voltages below 10v. That level is easily achievable with a failing battery even if the starter will still rotate the engine. The control modules loose their memory and strange, unexplainable things happen.
Bang on quote - check the battery. Door connector wiring to BCM, this can become worn, a short in one of the wires, pull the rubber gator back and check nothing pinched or bare. Seat modules rarely go wrong, again the wires can wear. Possible loose connections. Highly doubt the door switchpack, but you could pop it out and spray a contact cleaner up in the backside of it.
So, after checking the battery, its a fast check of connections, door card off, check module wiring loom all the way home, same with the seat, and check all the wiring you can see at wear points.
________
herbalaire vaporizer

Last edited by Sean B; 01-21-2011 at 06:16 AM.
Old 02-22-2010, 12:16 PM

thank you very much everyone, sean B i think you have made my job easier those are the steps i will follow, did a voltage check have not used the car for a week and the voltage is reading about 11.40v so i am not sure if that is low enough...

next will be me following your guidance and everyone else...

keep you posted

regards... p.s is 11.40v reading low???

thanks

Old 02-22-2010, 12:29 PM
Veteran Member

Yes.

Install a new battery and call in the morning.

12.6v, 14.6v running.

Old 03-01-2010, 12:58 PM

hi guys right...update...

it was the voltage, so because the car only gets used in the weekends or every other weekend it dropped voltage and seat and memory would play up...

so i'm happy its not the modules or switches etc...

as for the blueish smoke on start up, yes i guess like you both said a little oil seeping when i used the car say the next day instead of letting it sit it would hardly smoke...

so i guess the poor car does not like to sit and mope around it likes to be kept busy crusing or racing...

just like to say thank you for all your help and advice...

couple of things before i go...

interior light near the sun visor you got the switched map light button, interior light button, map light button...

now those button illuminate the writing... i.e map is illuminated...

well one of my map button is not illuminated any ideas how i could change the bulb? is it a bulb or is it the whole unit?

petty but i want this car to be 100% well close to it...

cheers

Old 03-01-2010, 01:51 PM
Received 17 Likes on 10 Posts

Try changing the bulb. It may require removing the upper console housing. To remove the console, open the sunglass holder and you will find a plastic fastener that can be turned with a flat head screwdriver. You only need to turn it a quarter turn to release the housing. Console will fold down. There is one connector to release if you want to completely remove the console.

Old 03-02-2010, 01:21 PM

hi kansas

thank you for your advice it worked a treat followed your instructions... got the console out one connector holding it and a tiny bulb unscrewed out that i will be replacing tmrw...

cheers again mate

regards

Old 03-03-2010, 02:33 PM

hi

you guys wont believe this went to the dealers and to get a new bulb for the map button in the interior light console and guess what!!! they do not stock the bulb anymore

where can i get hold of one any ideas????

i am in the UK

regards

Old 03-04-2010, 08:35 AM
Default Replacement Bulbs

This bulb us used all over the car. I have found it at my local auto parts store here in the US. From OSRAM Sylvania's websites:

OSRAM Sylvania

2825LL Long Life Upgrade: Up to twice the life of the standard lamp

Parking light
High mount stop light
Front sidemarker
Map light
Step/Courtesy light
Under hood light

Old 03-04-2010, 09:07 AM

Just realized that this could be more like an instruement light, if you are talking about the light that actually lights up to show "map" when the map light is not being used. If so, it may be OSRAM Sylvania 2721 or 2821 / Instrument General. Available online at Advance Auto Parts in US. Should be available in UK as well.