XJ XJ8 / XJR ( X308 ) 1997 - 2003

XJR Rain Sensor Not Working After Windshield Replaced

Old 11-12-2016, 06:24 PM
Received 11 Likes on 5 Posts
Default XJR Rain Sensor Not Working After Windshield Replaced

Hello all,

I recently replaced my windshield, with an oem replica which is the heated windshield with the rain sensor. However the rain sensor does not work any longer. I have tried replacing the gel pad twice with no luck. The wiring still looks fine and plugs into the sensor fine. Should i suspect the sensor (even though it was working 100% fine before swapping the windshield)? Or is it just because of the aftermarket windshield? I have also tried replacing the fuses, with no luck. Is there some kind of reset? Would appreciate any advice...
Thanks

Old 11-12-2016, 09:45 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,766 Likes on 1,300 Posts

I would be suspect of a polarized replacement. It will reflect away from the sensor, especially water. Put on a set of polarized sunglasses and look at the water to see the difference, or watch a demo from a sunglass company. Albeit polarization is great for the interior, the sensors made then unfortunately are not the benefactor.

Old 11-13-2016, 10:08 AM
Veteran Member
Received 264 Likes on 145 Posts

I had my windshield replaced and the glass company replaced my sensor with an aftermarket part. The wiper would wipe once then stop working. I complained and the glass company replaced the sensor with an OEM sensor. Problem solved.

Old 11-14-2016, 03:06 AM
Veteran Member
Received 77 Likes on 70 Posts

if it is not working and you tried 2 gel-pads, pull it off the window and see if you can trigger the wipe by covering and uncovering the sensor (while sensor is in your hand), that will help determine if it is the sensor or the window that is the issue. If I tap the back of mine it causes a wipe, so should be easy to trigger once removed from the window. Also, use the genuine gel pads, originally I used some 3M pad and it worked erratic, the real pads are exactly the right thickness and transparency for the sensor and so work substantially better.

Old 12-05-2016, 09:39 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default help with thoughts on sensor and windshield

Will I get an error code if, when replacing windscreen, I simply stick sensor to window?
From what I have read, I really don't want another electrical part which can, and will fail. This sensor was a moderate idea at best. The only problem it really solved is if I had short arms and could not easily reach the wiper control by the steering wheel. Or arthritic hands with no movement from the elbow. In other words...ridiculous. I can now replace windscreen with the cheapest one around...Chinese which is a couple hundred dollars cheaper than a Pilkington. If I'm wrong please respond. I will be booking the windscreen guy in next couple of days.
I notice there is a black area which is at the bottom and side of the windscreen. See pics. What does this do?

Attached Thumbnails XJR Rain Sensor Not Working After Windshield Replaced-jag-windshield-black-surround..jpg   XJR Rain Sensor Not Working After Windshield Replaced-jag-windshield.jpg  

Last edited by Brit57; 12-05-2016 at 09:43 PM. Reason: add extra
Old 12-06-2016, 08:14 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I live in a sunshine state. Lots. What sort of tint should come with the windscreen, or should I specify?

Old 12-06-2016, 09:29 AM
Received 11 Likes on 5 Posts

I dont think you will get any error codes for it. Mine just simply does not work, no codes. Even if i disconnect it i have no codes.

The following users liked this post:
Brit57 (12-07-2016)
Old 04-05-2019, 05:00 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,019 Likes on 740 Posts

Anyone have a diagram or fuse #, mine has never worked.

Of note, I do have an aftermarket wind screen.

Old 04-05-2019, 06:28 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,766 Likes on 1,300 Posts

Here's a Tech Guide, pg 31 for sensor info... http://jagrepair.com/images/Electric...s%20Update.pdf

Pg 79 for the schematic... http://www.jagrepair.com/images/Auto.../jagxj1998.pdf

The wiper motor is #22 (30amp) in the engine compartment fuse box.

Here's an old thread I managed to dig up... https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/x...-relays-75367/

The following 3 users liked this post by Highhorse:
Anton Tkabladze (03-15-2021), King Charles (04-05-2019), someguywithajag (04-09-2020)