XJ XJ8 / XJR ( X308 ) 1997 - 2003

XJR Silicon heater hose kit

Search this Thread

Old 01-17-2018, 08:32 PM
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Default XJR Silicon heater hose kit

I believe there is a full silicon heater hose kit for a super charged XK8 but I haven't heard of one for an XJR. Does anyone know if one exists? If not, will the XK8 hoses fit the XKR?

Old 01-18-2018, 07:31 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,317 Likes on 1,004 Posts

It is difficult to say not knowing what engiine you are talking about. The 1997-1998 XKR and XJR are the same engine but a 1998 versus 2002 are 2 different cats.
You can put your vehicle info in your signature using the user control panel and it will always tell us what you are working with.

Old 01-19-2018, 07:42 AM
Received 43 Likes on 40 Posts

I put a set of Si hoses on my 89 F250 (302) based on an ad in Summit Racing's catalog extolling their benefits and ended up having all sorts of trouble with clamps loosening and small leaks. If you go with Si hoses you may want to make sure you have the constant tension type clamps rather than the screw adjust worm style. I'm not sure if anyone else has run into this but with all the XJR connections there's a lot of potential leak locations!

Old 01-19-2018, 09:07 PM
Veteran Member
Received 487 Likes on 370 Posts

Have you read through this thread? There's some mention of XJR compatibility later on https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/x...ose-kit-49826/

Old 01-19-2018, 09:24 PM

I did speak to Paragon and they may have a direct fit kit for the XJR in the future. They did confirm that the rad hoses are the ones that will differ between the current kit and what is needed on an XJR

Old 01-23-2018, 06:17 PM

Looks like my leaking coolant hose is getting worse and I need to do something about in in the coming weeks. The only silicon hose kit that is available is the one from Paragon for the XK8 of similar vintage. I'll need to figure out which hoses from their kit will be compatible with the XJR and have to go with rubber on the other ones.

There seems to be a lot of hoses on the XJR engine. I wonder if anyone has compiled a list of all the coolant hose part numbers to help me start this research.

Also, the local shop that will do the hose replacements would like to run the Evans coolant instead of the factory coolant. Wondering if anyone has any successful history running Evans in a 308 vintage XJR?

Old 01-24-2018, 08:29 AM
Veteran Member
Received 342 Likes on 296 Posts

The hoses buried under the SC are subjected to very high heat and do fail ... eventually. Jaguar should have used metal -- but they last 10+ years under full use. The rest of the hoses will last a very long time. Even MB stopped with the replacement interval ... I have hoses over 30 years old that are fine. None of mine have been changed 2x X308

The octopus often fails at the connectors -- IMO fixing it w/ connector pipe is one of the few hacks that's preferable to replacement. The connector only being there for production efficiencies.

If you have one under the SC that's leaking -- fix all of those. I would not fix the others ... except the very small plastic bleed lines if they show any signs of being brittle. You can get all of them for around $100 -- one of mine had the problem the other did not.

I'm an OE fluid guy -- I don't mix and never have coolant problems with my cars ... simple dump and refresh. Use the orange Jaguar coolant .. especially if that's whats in the car. The early cars had two different fluids -- you don't give year.

Improper fluid and mixing of fluid causes so many unnecessary problems --especially on cars like the Jaguar with extra pumps and valves for the HVAC ..the R has even more complex piping w/ additional pump for the SC.

Old 06-09-2019, 11:45 PM

I started this thread a couple years back looking to fix the leaking hoses under the super charger of our 2001 super charged 2001 VDP.

We got busy with other things and parked the car for a while. I was hoping to get it back on the road this summer. I contacted Paragon and they still have not made a silicon XJR hose kit.

I am thinking of replacing all the hoses at this point with just the rubber ones. I think the 2001 VDP SC is much like the 2001 XJR under the hood, maybe exactly the same. Can anyone confirm this?

I was hoping to start with an OEM list of part numbers for all the cooling hoses under the hood. Is there a good dealer parts site where I can go to find all the part numbers needed?

At this point in time, I am not certain all the hoses are still available from the dealer. Is there a good third party provider that make a rubber hose kit for these cars?

Thanks!

Old 06-10-2019, 08:20 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,341 Likes on 1,057 Posts

Any of the forum sponsors should be able to help with supply of hoses, OE are a very good quality btw.
The Super and R are exactly the same under hood.
The part numbers are available from Jaguar's own classic parts website here...
https://www.jaguarclassicparts.com/uk

hope this helps!

Old 06-10-2019, 11:30 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,317 Likes on 1,004 Posts

You can also go the SNG Barratt website below and download their electronic catalog with all of the part numbers.

https://www.sngbarratt.com/us/#!/English/Downloads

Old 06-11-2019, 10:42 AM

Thanks for the tips. I am not near the car right now but I wonder about hoses under and around the super charger. Are they easy for a DIY to replace or is it necessary to remove the super charger assembly etc. to get at them. I have heard it is quite a job to remove the super charger.

Thanks

Old 06-12-2019, 07:42 AM
Veteran Member
Received 342 Likes on 296 Posts

You should not have any problems getting the hoses. I was at my dealer a few months ago picking up one of the bleed hoses for my 2nd R and asked about if the lower hose was a stock item for my other one. Replacing any hoses w/ high labor costs is prudent when doing a related service. There are other hoses back there that are difficult to reach -- around the intake.

My thoughts have not changed since post #7.

Would rather have the old OE hoses vs replacing with aftermarket of unknown quality and fit -- quality modern hoses (post 80's) have remarkable life. My sister hit a deer with my older MB wagon a while back ... 02 w/150k . I had to replace the radiator as part of the fix and asked my independent about the hoses -- thinking it prudent to at least do the lower one. The hose was pliable and defect free -- so it stayed.

The beed hoses do get brittle and are not expensive -- one to the thermostat is typically the first to go.

Old 06-13-2019, 02:32 AM

I'm going to start working from the online diagrams since I don't have direct access to the car at the moment. How many plastic bleed hoses are there besides the one going to the thermostat? Speaking of the thermostat, how long do they typically last assuming the right coolant and normal driving conditions. Is the octopus hose the only one with special connectors on it?