XJ XJ8 / XJR ( X308 ) 1997 - 2003

XJR upgrade advice

Search this Thread

Old 01-20-2016, 03:34 PM
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default XJR upgrade advice

Hey all,

I want to get some input from you guys about my recently acquired XJR. First off, of all my cars I have to say that this old bruiser is by far my favorite to drive.

Currently I'm doing a bunch of work to it. The car has 189k miles on it (yes, I'm aware that's a large number). Within the past 3k miles it's had a full service from Jaguar including a tune up, fluids flushed, pumps, and a few other bits that are in the service records from the previous owner. The car sat for a while after that service was performed. The engine runs super strong.

Upon buying it (as some of you may be aware haha), I encountered a destroyed rear differential. One of the kind members on here was nice enough to help source an exact match differential from another XJR. 3.06 final drive ratio.

Right now that's being put in and I have the car on a lift. My question is that I found a package for an intake (currently has K&N drop in filter), exhaust system, and upgraded pulley. The link is below. I spoke with the gentleman on the phone and he gave me $1,050 shipped. I'd want to do this next week while the car is still up on the lift. I've read good reviews about this company but I wanted to see if you guys had any advice, warnings, encouragements, etc. about ordering this setup.

Jaguar XJR Performance pkg3: Intake, Pulley, Intake Tube, & Exhaust Kit - Mina Gallery Inc

My indy whom I am very close with said I wouldn't have to remap or tune anything if I were to go forward and do this. What's your guys input? Will I hear more blower? More power? More fun to drive?

Let me know your thoughts and thanks for reading!!

Old 01-20-2016, 03:57 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,064 Likes on 867 Posts

You don't want my advice about your intake, but I will offer some extremely important advice that EVERYONE who knows these cars will agree with. CHECK YOUR TIMING CHAIN TENSIONERS. There is plenty in the archives about what to look for and what can happen if you do not do it!

Old 01-20-2016, 04:41 PM
Veteran Member
Received 801 Likes on 669 Posts

Yes. Don't delay on that or all your other work might be wasted.

Of course with 189K I think they must have been updated or they would have let go by now but you can check by pulling off a cam cover and inspecting the secondary tensioners.

Old 01-20-2016, 04:49 PM
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by sparkenzap
You don't want my advice about your intake, but I will offer some extremely important advice that EVERYONE who knows these cars will agree with. CHECK YOUR TIMING CHAIN TENSIONERS. There is plenty in the archives about what to look for and what can happen if you do not do it!
Originally Posted by tbird6
Yes. Don't delay on that or all your other work might be wasted.

Of course with 189K I think they must have been updated or they would have let go by now but you can check by pulling off a cam cover and inspecting the secondary tensioners.
Yes, thanks guys. Timing chain tensioners were done @ 160k miles.

Old 01-20-2016, 05:50 PM
Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

If you are putting in a Diff already you may want to look at an LSD. This is the one thing I really wish my car had.