XJ40 ( XJ81 ) 1986 - 1994

1992 XJ6 Sovereign

Old 10-15-2016, 09:27 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 1992 XJ6 Sovereign

I need help...please
I bought a 1992 xj6 no running and found out it had a blown head which I replaced , the car stared running but with a little tick that sounded like a lifter....after driving the car from Ma to Fl without a hint of any problem I found out number 3 and 4 are not firing at all ...I got good compretion on both, good sparks, injectors working fine, but yet no working...no one seem to know what's wrong...it was running smooth despite all this but a few days ago a mechanic disconected all wires and put them back and know it's worst than an old truck....(please forgive my English ...it's my second language)
Can some one please help me.....please....this is a beautiful car and I love to fix it and enjoy it.....thanks every one

Old 10-15-2016, 02:47 PM
GGG
Received 16,756 Likes on 12,145 Posts

Welcome to the forum Cheflord522,

I've moved your question from General Tech Help to XJ40 forum. Members here with the same model will be able to help.

Please follow this link New Member Area - Intro a MUST - Jaguar Forums - Jaguar Enthusiasts Forum to the New Member Area - Intro a MUST forum and post some info about yourself and your vehicle for all members to see. In return you'll get a proper welcome and some useful advice about posting to the forum.

Graham

Old 10-15-2016, 08:53 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,122 Likes on 788 Posts

I am reading and re- reading. I don't understand, If your spark plugs are good And working And also your injectors are working then what is the problem? Are you saying that the tick is a mis fire? What did you change for the blown head? Was there something wrong with the head or was it just the gasket? If so then maybe it IS just a lifter ticking... As far as the "repair," sounds like you need to put the plug wires back right and make sure the distributor cap is on right.
Not trying to be mean, Just clarifying. Good Luck and please keep us posted.

The following users liked this post:
Cheflord522 (10-15-2016)
Old 10-15-2016, 09:50 PM
Received 7,861 Likes on 4,752 Posts

Firing order..................153624

#1 is at the front.

My 1992 XJ6 blew the head gasket between #3 and #4 one time and the engine ran like crap, making a loud clattering noise.

If the head is warped, the gasket could have failed AGAIN???

bob

Cheflord522 (10-15-2016)
Old 10-15-2016, 09:58 PM
Received 12,719 Likes on 6,372 Posts

Originally Posted by Cheflord522
I found out number 3 and 4 are not firing at all ...I got good compretion on both, good sparks, injectors working fine, but yet no working...no one seem to know what's wrong...it was running smooth despite all this but a few days ago a mechanic disconected all wires and put them back and know it's worst than an old truck....(please forgive my English ...it's my second language)
Can some one please help me.....please....this is a beautiful car and I love to fix it and enjoy it.....thanks every one

Hi Cheflord522,

Welcome to the Jaguar Forums. It's great to have you with us.

I'm sorry to hear that you are having trouble with your XJ40. Jerry's suggestions are excellent: confirm that all the wiring is properly connected, and inspect the distributor cap and rotor for any damage, cracks, arcing or carbon tracking, and confirm they are properly installed.

Can you please tell us how you "found out that cylinders 3 and 4 are not firing at all"?

Can you please also tell us how you confirmed the injectors in those cylinders are working fine?

In my experience, losing one cylinder in a six-cylinder engine is noticeable. I can't imagine losing two cylinders and feeling that the engine is running smooth.

Please keep us informed.

Cheers,

Don

Old 10-15-2016, 11:18 PM

Thanks guys For your replies.please keep in mind my poor English....OK, here I go again....A mechanic tested the compression and other parts , he made one observation to me and told me that the previous guy who changed the gaskets might have not machined the head and there for it might have failed once more but he was not very sure of his conclusions since he had very little knowledge on these cars...how ever he tested the for gasses in the cooling system, antifreeze in the oil and other places but no indications of it at all....I will bring it back to have the head machined and make sure this time ....my apologies for my lack of more detailed explanations....I'm a chef and have very limited knowledge of mechanical language and subjects...add this to poor English and you have a mess.

Old 10-16-2016, 06:18 AM
Default Help please

Originally Posted by Don B
Hi Cheflord522,

Welcome to the Jaguar Forums. It's great to have you with us.

I'm sorry to hear that you are having trouble with your XJ40. Jerry's suggestions are excellent: confirm that all the wiring is properly connected, and inspect the distributor cap and rotor for any damage, cracks, arcing or carbon tracking, and confirm they are properly installed.

Can you please tell us how you "found out that cylinders 3 and 4 are not firing at all"?

Can you please also tell us how you confirmed the injectors in those cylinders are working fine?

In my experience, losing one cylinder in a six-cylinder engine is noticeable. I can't imagine losing two cylinders and feeling that the engine is running smooth.

Please keep us informed.

Cheers,

Don
I took the car to a mechanic who did al this tests , how ever he was reluctant to work on the car as he is no expert on jaguar and it seems to him that Jaguars have a reputation to be very complicated cars even as ol as mine is.

I should clear my definition of running smooth on my initial thread .....I meant smoother than what it isn't now, how ever from the time the first mechanics changed the gaskets the car started very strong but soon after it stared to give me that tick sound to which the mechanic told me it was the lifters on 3/4 that needed to recharge as they are hydraulic and have lost the pressure , this last never happened and the car just lost some power compare to what I felt right after it was regasketed
Once again....thanks every one

Old 10-16-2016, 04:04 PM
Received 7,861 Likes on 4,752 Posts

The lifters/tappets are NOT hydraulic and don't fill with oil. If the noise is 'too much clearance' between the cam and lifters, then a shim is needed to set the correct lash.

bob

Don B (10-17-2016)
Old 10-16-2016, 04:42 PM
Default Lifters

Thank you Bob
I'm bringing the car to some one tomorrow and hopefully they will fix it ....I'm afraid of doing any thing else myself and mess things more.
I will gladly keep you all informed
Steven

Old 10-17-2016, 01:30 PM

Well thank you guys for your interest in helping me with my mess....I took the old lady to the mechanics ( a back yard one that is, lol) so he took a good look at the car and su jested I buy new ignition wires and better spark plugs , I did, then he took piston one and brought it up in order to reset timing again, after that he aske me to drive the car and to my solprise it started to drive very well and the nasty sound settled from loud to a low click, he took the injectors out and did some tests and told me the 3 and 4 were damaged and would only work at high speed but not well, they are giving false reading because they work but badly ...so new injectors have been ordered and the saga continue , only now better hope .....by the way, he assure me there is not problems with head gaskets , good compression and after several tests all of them came out negative.
I thank every one and will sure keep you informed .