XJ40 ( XJ81 ) 1986 - 1994

89 XJ6 running issue

Search this Thread

Old 06-22-2010, 07:10 AM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default 89 XJ6 running issue

Hi all, back again with another question. I finally got my brake situation squared away and was able to take this for a quick 1 mile drive yesterday. There seems to be a slight miss or hesitation between 1200 rpms and 2500 rpms. Its sluggish and feels like its running on 5 cyls. When I am stopped in neutral and bring the throttle up, it will do the same thing. Once it gets past that rpm range, it runs strong and has very good power. Idles smooth.

After I shut the car off, now it doesn't start at all. Just cranks. I am thinking its a fuel issue, possibly a clogged filter as the fuel was run very low (as in dead empty) for the year before I bought it. I put 8 gallons of premium in it yesterday before I drove it.

I also have an service engine message but don't have a scanner to check the code.

Any advice to put me in the correct pathway to diagnose would be greatly appreciated. Also if anyone knows a quality independent Jag shop in the Monmouth or Ocean county area of NJ, I might have to bring it to someone who knows how to work on these things better than myself and a buddy of mine, who doesn't normally work on Jags but has in the past. I think a Jag specific shop could ease the confusion and properly get it back to good working order again. I hate to bite the bullet because I enjoy fixing my own stuff but this car seems to be beyond my abilitys due to the lack of a service manual or knowledge of Jags in general. I just want to get this thing back in order again as my wife has been bugging me to drive it.

I am also getting a feeling that this is going to become one project after another as I still have a non working drivers power window, DS door handle is hanging off, headliner shot, A/C doesn't work and doesn't even blow out the vents, and who knows what else may creep up. ARGH!

Old 06-22-2010, 07:24 AM
Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts

https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/s...ht=check+codes

The steps for pulling the codes are in my first post in this thread

Post up once you have the codes and we'll do what we can to help

Old 06-23-2010, 09:09 AM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by ArmyJag
https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/s...ht=check+codes

The steps for pulling the codes are in my first post in this thread

Post up once you have the codes and we'll do what we can to help
Thanks again for the advice. I didn't even notice that (because I wasn't looking).