XJ40 ( XJ81 ) 1986 - 1994

89 XJ6 Vanden Plas with 3500 miles

Search this Thread

Old 11-07-2017, 10:18 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 89 XJ6 Vanden Plas with 3500 miles

Hi all- I am new to Jaguars, but have found one in NC that has peaked my interest. It is an 89 with only 3500 miles. It has been garaged all this time, still has the original Pirellis, flat spotted, but not rotted.
It looks great, as it should, and runs well. However, the A/c is not very cold, and I have been told that I would likely face many part replacements due to failing seals (fuel pump, brakes $$$, etc.).

Is a car with this low mileage a great idea for less than $10k, or best to stay away due to potential problems from sitting so long?
Thanks

Old 11-08-2017, 03:39 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,410 Likes on 876 Posts

Originally Posted by 462 HO
Is a car with this low mileage a great idea for less than $10k, or best to stay away due to potential problems from sitting so long? Thanks
Yep . . . this is the $64M question . . . and it's not just seals either. Any car approaching 20 years of age, but denied regular use, maintenance and servicing will suffer in somewhat different, perhaps insidious ways. As but one example, engine coolant that has been denied regular topping up and replacement, and even more so, brake fluid that is hygroscopic, will promote conditions whereby metal lines, fittings and other internals will corrode from the inside out . . . and this may render otherwise great looking components quite dangerous.

Many rubber components in the suspension (and not just tyres) seem to break down as they reach this age . . . often whether under road use or not. Garaged may have saved the car's interior from sun damage, but often, leather ages and cracks far more from lack of use and regular maintenance . . . not to mention the possibility of critters having found a comfy home!

Does this mean you should never touch such a car? No, of course not . . . but put aside the rose-coloured glasses that a pristine looking car might provoke, dig deeply and factor in some pricey parts & labour that external appearances might not at first indicate.

Finally, while awaiting further input from others, please visit the NEW MEMBERS section and post a suitable intro. You will be given a warm welcome and get advice on how to best use the forum resources.

Best wishes,

Ken

The following users liked this post:
Don B (11-09-2017)
Old 11-08-2017, 05:10 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,125 Likes on 790 Posts

3500? Miles??? You didn’t buy?!?!!? Calipers aren’t that much, bleeding is kind of a pain, a good coolant flush.. another $100... Duuuude!