XJ40 ( XJ81 ) 1986 - 1994

90 Sovereign electrical 'boggets'

Search this Thread

Old 05-25-2010, 07:31 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 90 Sovereign electrical 'boggets'

Gremlins, glitches, etc.
Working thru mechanical and hydraulic issues, I finally hooked up the new battery. Found out the radio works without a code, hooray! Engine started right up, and lots of stuff works!
However, the drivers 'attack' belt doesn't, there is a 'FUSE 1' displayed on VCM, and driver seat will not move fore/aft, although other seat functions work. I looked at the fuses on the left fuse box and all appear solid, but i plan on testing and re-seating each one.
Now the weird 'bogget' part. Every so often, I hear a click in the driver's 'B' pillar with the key off. My guess is something related to the 'attack' belt motor. As a precaution, I put a battery maintainer on the car before I called it a night.
The next night, the clicking was gone, but so was any life in the new battery. I disconnected the battery from the car and put my full charger on it, which looked better this morning.
My plan is to pull the fuse for the seat belt motor and try to eliminate the clicking.
I also replaced the drivers outside door handle recently. Could something be out of adjustment in the handle where the door switch is messing with the seat belt? Door latches fine and interior lights only stay on shortly after the door is closed.

And as to 'boggets', my nephew, born in Scotland, told me of tales he heard as a boy.
Dave

Old 05-25-2010, 10:57 AM
Veteran Member
Received 2,430 Likes on 1,940 Posts

There may be a thermal overload switch to avoid motor damage if something get seized up. A fuse won't blow because the current is normal, but the motor is only supposed to run for a short time.
The pre-XJ40 cars had these for the window winders.

Old 05-25-2010, 10:47 PM

Update. I measured current draw at the battery and watched the meter run from less than 1 amp to nearly 18 amps every few seconds. I then pulled the fuse to the driver side seat belt motor and the current never got above 1 amp. Since I plan to fix the drooping headliner, I'll tear into the B pillar and see what it takes to get the belt to the home position and work on the motor. Thanks!
Dave

Old 05-28-2010, 07:43 AM

I got into the B pillar and pulled the motor connector. Using a spare motorcycle battery, I jumped the motor and got it to the home position, or close. It ran pretty erratic so I'm not sure if the track is sticky or the motor is flaky. I left the fuse out to keep it in position.
Some of my other issues.I found a blown fuse on the door lock circuit. I plan on pulling the door panels to disconnect the lock solenoids and test each one with the motorcycle battery, then start hooking them up one at a time.
Headliner is out, finally, although I broke a good number of plastic buttons holding on the trim. I gave up on folding, bending, twisting, jerking, spinning, and still scratching my head. I cut the board to line up with the B pillars and sunroof.
My other warning light was washer fluid. I started to fill up the tank and watched it all run onto the floor. I pulled the top tank, but working on the bottom is more of a challenge. It's really greasy down there because of the previous hydraulic leak. Do you have to pull the front airdam to get it out?
Dave
I "think" I'm making progress....and then ...POW.

Old 05-28-2010, 09:19 AM
Received 161 Likes on 90 Posts

Originally Posted by Davedz
....I "think" I'm making progress....and then ...POW.
Don't ya just hate it when that happens!

I call 'em reality intrusions!

Old 06-01-2010, 12:12 AM
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

OK,

First, FUSE 1 means the Fusebox on the passenger's side of the car, remember, these cars speak British and think they are Right Hand Drive

Second, the automatic seatbelts should still be covered under a lifetime warranty, your local Jaguar dealer should fix them at no cost to you. They act up frequently, the B pillar clicking isn't that uncommon.

Old 06-01-2010, 07:34 AM

rld14: Thanks! Yes, I meant 'right' when I typed 'left'. And the blown door lock fuse is in the right fuse panel. I plan to inquire with my closest dealer (100 miles away!) about the seat belt, once the car is more presentable. My main concern was getting the belt to the home position to make the car drivable without having the state patrol stop me for seat belt violation.

retro: So TRUE!