XJ40 ( XJ81 ) 1986 - 1994

93 XJ6 Sovereign fix it list

Search this Thread

Old 05-24-2011, 04:28 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default 93 XJ6 Sovereign fix it list

So, here's a few things that I'm looking for feedback and assistance with.

1. Electrical gremlin. Sometimes when I start the car, the radio, power seats and climate control system don't work. As I'm driving and pull up to a stop, the car will come close to stalling and won't want to idle at over 400 RPM. Next time I start the car, ALL of the above controls work great and there's no stalling at stop lights/signs.

2. 2 of the doors have latch issues. One of the back doors won't open at all and the other wont open from the inside. I'm assuming this is a cable release issue but haven't found a whole lot of info out there about how to replace the cables or where to find parts.

3. My ABS dash light is on and the speedometer is no longer working. I've read that the 2 may be interconnected, but is there a speedometer cable, and if so where does it attach? And where can I find replacement (besides a Jag dealer)?

I'm asking these questions here because I bought the car for a song and I'm on a tight (Dave Ramsey) budget. That and my nearest Jag dealer is over an hour away and no one in my community will even let me pull the car into their shop.

Thanks for your time.
Jeff

Old 05-24-2011, 05:28 PM
Received 44 Likes on 40 Posts

Rear door problem on the one that wont open .might be the child saftey device(to get to the lever remove rear seat cushion then door panal to get to the the lever assemblys).THe other door most likely cable.

Old 05-25-2011, 08:23 PM
Veteran member
Received 329 Likes on 258 Posts

Jeff:
Talk around, especially to little foreign car shops, and see if there is a good independent Jag guy in your area. I found mine in the Mechanics Files of NPR's Car Talk website; and the shop is every bit as good - and better - than the high praise I found there. The near-ish-by Jag dealer is also top rate, but also has top rate rates!
Dave Ramsey is a good guy with good, practical financial advise. Best of luck in your financial goals. Sorry I can't be of more help with the car issues, but others will chime in. Do good research in the archives both here and elsewhere online.
Cheers,
Scott